2022 Skidoo reveal

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does BRP have any demo program? I would think getting people that are seriously interested in buying a new machine out on one for a day or two would go a long way towards sealing the deal. You hear all the chatter about how good the etec turbo is, but actually putting some real time on one would get me a whole lot more interested.

Don't get me wrong, I am a hardcore cat guy. Always have been. I also have a sour spot for BRP in my heart. But with the local cat dealer gone, and parts becoming harder to get, I'm looking at my options.

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What is the big difference from a summit x and a lynx? No turbo on a lynx, rear suspension looks different - better? I don't know. Different snow flap. What other differences between them?

I'm not getting it either... If someone was passing on a Doo and going to a cat or a poo, why would now having the option of going with a Lynx change anything.. The only people who are going to buy a lynx (all 10 of them in Western Canada) would have just bought a Doo otherwise and are doing it because it's new and different.. Once that wears off they're going to have a heavier version of a summit.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does BRP have any demo program? I would think getting people that are seriously interested in buying a new machine out on one for a day or two would go a long way towards sealing the deal. You hear all the chatter about how good the etec turbo is, but actually putting some real time on one would get me a whole lot more interested.

Don't get me wrong, I am a hardcore cat guy. Always have been. I also have a sour spot for BRP in my heart. But with the local cat dealer gone, and parts becoming harder to get, I'm looking at my options.

NO, and it sucks. Ive said it before ALL brands need to do a better job of getting people on these new machines. The only industry in the world where they expect you to spend 22k without getting to try the damn thing. If i want to go buy a new truck i can try it, if i want to buy a new piece of survey equipment for my business i have all my suppliers knocking at my door begging me to try their stuff, Here take it for a month let me know what you think. The powersports Demo programs are completely flawed.

That being said there is inherent risk to a snowmobile demo, i would not expect a dealer to send one of their units out for the weekend with an unknown customer either. This is the mountains not a roadway, there are risks to this sport that can not be controlled the same way as highway vehicle.

That's why i believed so much in the program they used to run at CKMP, getting dealers to come down with customers to try out the new machines every year. It got about as many people on the new machines as possible in a safe, controlled manner operated by professionals. I thought it was a huge success but obviously i am not a bean counter at BRP because i see that this does not appear to be happening much anymore.

in my snowmobile dream world, every manufacturer would have designated Reps in Certain areas Of British Columbia. Every Saturday you would be able to book a day with them free of charge and join a group of 5-6 people and go on a guided full day tour and try out all the different machines in the mountain lineup switching back and forth. I liked when skidoo did the demo tour, i thought that was a great program aswell but still lacked in the fact that going for 2 hours 200ft from the cabin is not the best way to get the true experience from the snowmobile. You need to go out with someone that knows the area and can bring you to places that can let you put the machine through its paces. With that comes other issues of Tenure, insurance etc..But nothings impossible IMO. The other issue with not spending a full day on a machine is if your coming from another brand, its going to take a few hours to feel comfortable on it before you can start enjoying it.

Skidoo has an unreal product with the new turbo, but people want to try it and they cant. and thats unfortunate.

End rant LOL

Last edited:

Chrisp1

Reaction score

I'm in the exact same spot as you. Last 3 machines I had were cats, in the market for new sled but local cat dealer shut its doors. Looking at skidoo or polaris. Brother is lending me his sled this weekend to get a feel for the axys chasis, but would like to try a doo out for a couple days to get a feel for it.

Chrisp1

Reaction score
NO, and it sucks. Ive said it before all brands need to do a better job of getting people on these new machines. The only industry in the world where they expect you to spend 22k without getting to try the damn thing. If i want to go buy a new truck i can try it, if i want to buy a new piece of survey equipment for my business i have all my suppliers knocking at my door begging me to try their stuff, Here take it for a month let me know what you think. The powersports Demo programs are completely flawed.

That being said there is inherent risk to a snowmobile demo, i would not expect a dealer to send one of their units out for the weekend with an unknown customer either. This is the mountains not a roadway, there are risks to this sport that can not be controlled the same way as highway vehicle.

That's why i believed so much in the program they used to run at CKMP, getting dealers to come down with customers to try out the new machines every year. It got about as many people on the new machines as possible in a safe, controlled manner operated by professionals. I thought it was a huge success but obviously i am not a bean counter at BRP because i see that this does not appear to be happening much anymore.

in my snowmobile dream world, every manufacturer would have designated Reps in Certain areas Of British Columbia. Every Saturday you would be able to book a day with them free of charge and join a group of 5-6 people and go on a guided full day tour and try out all the different machines in the mountain lineup. I liked when skidoo did the demo tour, i thought that was a great program aswell but still lacked in the fact that going for 2 hours 200ft from the cabin is not the best way to get the true experience from the snowmobile. You need to go out with someone that knows the area and can bring you to places that can let you put the machine through its paces.

End rant LOL
I was thinking of that too. I know there are rentals out there but you're paying close to $1k for a weekend ride without guide. If they offered a program with a riding resort (Carl Kuster) and a portion of that trip at the resort would go towards buying a new Doo? Maybe I'm being to needy.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of that too. I know there are rentals out there but you're paying close to $1k for a weekend ride without guide. If they offered a program with a riding resort (Carl Kuster) and a portion of that trip at the resort would go towards buying a new Doo? Maybe I'm being to needy.

your not, big brother is watching and listening. Your the customer you have the power, so let them know what you want. Nothing wrong with that.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
NO, and it sucks. Ive said it before ALL brands need to do a better job of getting people on these new machines. The only industry in the world where they expect you to spend 22k without getting to try the damn thing. If i want to go buy a new truck i can try it, if i want to buy a new piece of survey equipment for my business i have all my suppliers knocking at my door begging me to try their stuff, Here take it for a month let me know what you think. The powersports Demo programs are completely flawed.

in my snowmobile dream world, every manufacturer would have designated Reps in Certain areas Of British Columbia. Every Saturday you would be able to book a day with them free of charge and join a group of 5-6 people and go on a guided full day tour and try out all the different machines in the mountain lineup switching back and forth. I liked when skidoo did the demo tour, i thought that was a great program aswell but still lacked in the fact that going for 2 hours 200ft from the cabin is not the best way to get the true experience from the snowmobile. You need to go out with someone that knows the area and can bring you to places that can let you put the machine through its paces. With that comes other issues of Tenure, insurance etc..But nothings impossible IMO. The other issue with not spending a full day on a machine is if your coming from another brand, its going to take a few hours to feel comfortable on it before you can start enjoying it.

Skidoo has an unreal product with the new turbo, but people want to try it and they cant. and thats unfortunate.

End rant LOL
Can't agree more, and I see it in my world too.

Honestly, getting on an Alpha for an hour in Valemount with the Cat demo tour back in 2019 is what sold me. That and the best dealer a guy could ask for. I have two '20 Alphas right now, but mine is quickly getting miled out, the dealer is gone, and I am not so much Team Arctic these days... somebody convince me on a new machine! I'm hoping the local BRP & Polaris dealers will worth with me, but I also understand the cost, liability, and risk of doing it, especially for a small dealer.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm in the exact same spot as you. Last 3 machines I had were cats, in the market for new sled but local cat dealer shut its doors. Looking at skidoo or polaris. Brother is lending me his sled this weekend to get a feel for the axys chasis, but would like to try a doo out for a couple days to get a feel for it.
Pretty sure we're talking about the same dealer too. My last 5 sleds have been Cat, and I grew up in a cat family. But times are a changing unfortunately...

Doo2015

Reaction score
this comment makes me think you have not spent a solid day on the new turbo in deep snow at altitude. I dont beleive you would have the same opinion. An aftermarket skidoo turbo is not the same machine as a new factory turbo expert, not even close. It might do a straight up pull marginally quicker, but that's where the benefit of an aftermarket kit ends. You need to get on one for a good ride before coming to the conclusion that putting on an aftermarket turbo on a 2018 gets you the same product as a 2022 turbo expert, Because it doesn't. The rideability just isn't matched. im not sure what more can be done in regards to stepping it up than adding 30hp at elevation with 3 years warranty on pump fuel? ive tried them all, boondocker, silber, the list goes on. They are good but ill take the 165 all day long over "185" aftermarket. I think youll be waiting a while to upgrade if your expecting the manufacturers to boost their snowmobiles beyond the HP level they were designed for along with the drivetrain components? Just my opinion.

I dont doubt that the turbo is a great sled but it would likely cost me $10,000+ to trade in to one. Is it that much better to justify it?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dont doubt that the turbo is a great sled but it would likely cost me $10,000+ to trade in to one. Is it that much better to justify it?

to me, yes. But thats not my 10k so thats easy for me to say. Hopefully you get a chance to throw a leg over one and make that decision yourself.

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure we're talking about the same dealer too. My last 5 sleds have been Cat, and I grew up in a cat family. But times are a changing unfortunately...
If I could handle the Doo steering I would seriously consider, but hate having to spend half a short season learning how to ride the stupid thing. I rode one for a bit and having the end of the bars 2" from my nutsack is a little unnerving.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I could handle the Doo steering I would seriously consider, but hate having to spend half a short season learning how to ride the stupid thing. I rode one for a bit and having the end of the bars 2" from my nutsack is a little unnerving.
I've got the laydown post on my Cat this year. I bought it gently used with it, and I didn't really notice the difference on the first ride after a summer off the sled When I hop on my wife's sled with the vertical steering it feels weird now. I guess you could say I'm already used to Doo steering. I just don't know if I'm ready to drink the doolaide yet. I still have some reservations on the company, and how certain things are put together. They undoubtedly have a fantastic machine, but I don't see a bad machine out there right now.

catrutt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lynx rear suspension looks very nice ! No tmotion and no where for snow to collect plus it's coilover .

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

End rant LOL

That's funny....I've been thinking the exact same thing. And if there was a way they could get the sleds into the hands of just regular guys, it would probably be a much cheaper form of demoing units. Say for example I got one for the Kootenays, panodude for golden, and Maxwell for valemount ( you would need more than this obviously......maybe 10-20 sleds across BC?) They could probably just give them to the new type of "ambassador" as a free demo, with some kind of guaranteed availability times or number of demos or something.

Then your suitability as an ambassador or some kind of bonus could depend on 1. How many people you get on the demo, and 2. How many of those people buy.

Its win win. A cheapskate like me gets a free sled, get to meet a bunch of new people, and all it costs doo is a year of depreciation on their sled, which they can sell the next year. Probably wouldn't actually be out any money at the end of the day.

My idea........I get the Kootenays BRP!

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some dealerships have demos available. You will have to insure the unit under your name for the time used. Guessing a weekend insurance policy would cost around $100?

duffmannt

Reaction score

The Skinz forward steering post changes this to more of a vertical type post. I’ve had one on all my Doo’s since 2015 and won’t go back.

Top Bottom