Reaction score
44010517-C646-4521-972D-ED638B7E1CD5.jpeg

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will have a 200 sport jet. Way better pump then the brp. They’re just to weak to handle much gravel. The 200 will take the abuse three or four times as hard as the brp based pump. And just as light and more interior room.
mini with a 200 SJ would be sweet! nice compact vertical design will leave lots of interior room and no carbon seal to deal with... the sea doo pumps and seal system are just not ideal.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
mini with a 200 SJ would be sweet! nice compact vertical design will leave lots of interior room and no carbon seal to deal with... the sea doo pumps and seal system are just not ideal.

Motors are good. Lite and good power and reliable (ish). But the pumps aren’t good for a mini. They’re made for like jet skis not heavy aluminum boats. Not enough volume they’re made to go fast not slow and shallow.

rollthecoal

Reaction score
I was chatting with the fella about that boat before you bought it. How does it work? It has the flow pro pump I believe.
That's the one. It works well, gets on step right away, doesn't spin out at all. Great low speed control and reverse.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
View attachment 259019View attachment 259021View attachment 259020

Time for another project

Looking for a motor and pump, any leads on a BRP 300 seadoo would be appreciated

You're not likely to find a 300 or a 255 or a 215. At least not at a reasonable price, Seadoos are in high demand, and new ones right now have deposits on them long before they arrive at the dealer. Used ones are going for new prices with 100hrs on them.

The carbon seal is the biggest PITA in my experience, sand gets in between the carbon seal and the metal rings and eats it, not a whole lot you can do about it. 600 grit sandpaper and a flat surface resurfaces the carbon for use again, and 2000 grit and a flat surface refaces the metal ring. The pumps live if you want them to, but almost every grate I've seen is built with far too big of openings for the pump. 3/8" is the absolute max you want to run, and ideally around 1/4", which requires a large grate to allow enough water flow. If you build the boat light enough these pumps work fine, my boat is 1000lbs, a Seadoo is 700lbs. In my scenario any deficiencies in low speed usability are related to the narrow 14 degree hull, not the pump, they move more than enough water for this size of boat. Most mini hulls are built light and thin, and really aren't built to be continuously beat over the rocks anyway, installing a pump capable of pumping a loader bucket of gravel is not necessary IMO.

Honestly though I see a lot of mini hulls for sale, because after welding the hull people realize that the hull is about 25% of the cost of the boat because powertrains are so expensive, which most people get into in the first place because they want a boat on a budget. At this point if I were to build another "mini" I'd be looking at about a 15ft with short nose, and I'd see if there was any way to get a small Scott pump and bastardize a 4 banger car motor in front of it.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You're not likely to find a 300 or a 255 or a 215. At least not at a reasonable price, Seadoos are in high demand, and new ones right now have deposits on them long before they arrive at the dealer. Used ones are going for new prices with 100hrs on them.

The carbon seal is the biggest PITA in my experience, sand gets in between the carbon seal and the metal rings and eats it, not a whole lot you can do about it. 600 grit sandpaper and a flat surface resurfaces the carbon for use again, and 2000 grit and a flat surface refaces the metal ring. The pumps live if you want them to, but almost every grate I've seen is built with far too big of openings for the pump. 3/8" is the absolute max you want to run, and ideally around 1/4", which requires a large grate to allow enough water flow. If you build the boat light enough these pumps work fine, my boat is 1000lbs, a Seadoo is 700lbs. In my scenario any deficiencies in low speed usability are related to the narrow 14 degree hull, not the pump, they move more than enough water for this size of boat. Most mini hulls are built light and thin, and really aren't built to be continuously beat over the rocks anyway, installing a pump capable of pumping a loader bucket of gravel is not necessary IMO.

Honestly though I see a lot of mini hulls for sale, because after welding the hull people realize that the hull is about 25% of the cost of the boat because powertrains are so expensive, which most people get into in the first place because they want a boat on a budget. At this point if I were to build another "mini" I'd be looking at about a 15ft with short nose, and I'd see if there was any way to get a small Scott pump and bastardize a 4 banger car motor in front of it.

Scott 612 or a southern jet
in a mini with a Toyota ZZ1 turbo would be sweet. One of my customers is looking into that combo. He has a PPI rotax in a new piranha and hates it, I’ve rebuilt his impeller twice now inside of 40hrs. His stock impeller was slipping at 11hrs. He tried the Munster dual stage pump but he said it didn’t work very good. But he’s picky so it might have worked decent. He’s thinking of importing a Scott jet boat. Fire fish won’t use that zz1

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Scott 612 or a southern jet
in a mini with a Toyota ZZ1 turbo would be sweet. One of my customers is looking into that combo. He has a PPI rotax in a new piranha and hates it, I’ve rebuilt his impeller twice now inside of 40hrs. His stock impeller was slipping at 11hrs. He tried the Munster dual stage pump but he said it didn’t work very good. But he’s picky so it might have worked decent. He’s thinking of importing a Scott jet boat. Fire fish won’t use that zz1

I went to a Solas impeller from the factory seadoo model, and found it was more tolerant to increased clearances in the pump. I'm still running plastic wear rings because with these thin impellers I'm not convinced the stainless wear ring provides longevity advantages in the river and I'd rather change a $40 wear ring over a $500 impeller. I'd like to try a Solas twin prop in mine to see how it works, but this one still seems to have lots of life yet so will have to wait for that.

I wonder if the Piranha came with a similar intake to Chrisco's Convict if impeller life would lengthen on the PPI?

Yeah my first thought would be a 612 with a GM 2.5L I4. Of course not knowing if it would even be possible to make a standalone harness for that engine. But 200hp from an aluminum block direct injected I4 sounds okay. I'll have to look at the Toyota stuff too. But I've got time, I'm years away from seriously considering another boat.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went to a Solas impeller from the factory seadoo model, and found it was more tolerant to increased clearances in the pump. I'm still running plastic wear rings because with these thin impellers I'm not convinced the stainless wear ring provides longevity advantages in the river and I'd rather change a $40 wear ring over a $500 impeller. I'd like to try a Solas twin prop in mine to see how it works, but this one still seems to have lots of life yet so will have to wait for that.

I wonder if the Piranha came with a similar intake to Chrisco's Convict if impeller life would lengthen on the PPI?

Yeah my first thought would be a 612 with a GM 2.5L I4. Of course not knowing if it would even be possible to make a standalone harness for that engine. But 200hp from an aluminum block direct injected I4 sounds okay. I'll have to look at the Toyota stuff too. But I've got time, I'm years away from seriously considering another boat.

Look into the Saco dual row impeller. Just did a Kawasaki impeller the stock one was pretty sad but the Saco was impressive. And the guy said it works awesome. I would imagine the intake being raised would help for sure, wouldn’t get the rocks jammed up inside. It’s still to small with not enough volume for bigger boats like the piranha that’s a pretty heavy boat. Not sure about the 2.5 but Roger loves the 2.2 eco Tec from gm. He has water cooled manifolds and ecu for them. Has supercharged them and carbed them and various tunes in the ecu. But of course with Roger Berkeley pump. Not sure if they’d pull a scott pump or sj

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Dragonalain

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
b80b99bb3ea4be79822a5e780cd3a275.jpg

Made it 1.1 km before I hit a sand bar on Saturday out by my self. My custom built land anchor and power saw winch attachment worked fantastic. Took about 1 hour to rig up, pull the boat about 100ft and tear down. That included flooding the power saw Lol. Hit a couple low spots later in the day but never got stuck. Been putting a ton of hours on the boat this summer.
b62665fb7e9e7c0fd1fa6276b5b133ef.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom