2022/2023 fernie season.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what i was told they are going log up Morrissey in the winter in order to save the white pine trees. NOt sure if that makes any sense but that's what I heard

Summit 934

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya forsure I usually go morrisey but that’s out this year! Or if I stay in Coleman I go up the tin shack by atlas.
I believe you’re mistaken, Atlas is no where near the tin shack. Atlas is only a couple miles west of Coleman then north to the staging area, the tin shack is on the BC side of the border down Corbin road on the right a few miles before the townsite.

Ryson

Reaction score
Yes you are right. I am mistaken. I am talking about the atlas area. Can I guy get up there?

Summit 934

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was up there a couple weeks ago to do some trail clearing for the club and the snow was about 4-5’ short everywhere. We’ve had a few decent snowfalls since then but haven’t been back in yet.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's my update. My buddy and I were out yesterday and what I saw makes me shake my head. We ended up at both cabins then onto the pipeline. the wranglers cabin is already a mess. For the lazy folks that can't pack out their empties and garbage please consider NOT to going to the cabins. The snow pack is just okay. The coal creek road is the worst I have seen in 26 years so hopefully the grooming will start soon. As for the pipline and the notch( I am not even sure if we are allowed in the notch) its a disaster!!!. there will be carnage this year and that is forsure. I have rode the pipeline since 1996 and at times yesterday I felt if I have no ideal where I was. There is tons of metal stakes with a orange top on them just sticking out of the snow so on the next major storm those will be buried, hence the carnage... Every inch of the pipeline is changed. there is TONS of debris everywhere and large walls of where the cats have pushed the dirt and rocks and debris. As per the morrissey that might get REAL ugly... The logging equipment is still up there as well as MANY MANY loads of cut trees so that tells me the crews will be going up and working. Nobody leaves equipment in the bush for the winters. The road is plowed and goes past where the Doug Dean trail and the morrisey trail meet. There are plenty of just logged area's but again.... the equipment is still up there so the logging will be happening. The past few years is sure different compared to 10 years ago. Never did we deal with plowed roads and closed area's but times are changing.. O ya there is NO need to split firewood the the rolling hills cabin... DO IT outside!!!! . That's my update. If I have offended anyone by asking them to pack their empties and garbage out I really don't care. Be safe out there and respect each other and the area's that you ride in.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is what I'm talking about in my previous post
f1ea5fd0e4f472db34b1fa3b7ab16290.jpg

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well this sucks to hear and for some reason not surprising Randy! Did you stage at Coalcreek? So the whole pipeline, say from wranglers and to the notch is torn up? So they have no plans to groom it? I never ride the pipeline as I have other spots but it sounds like a lot of logging has been going on. As far as the people and their garage it shows their mentality of how it's become a me world!

Sent from my LE2115 using Tapatalk

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we staged at the tin shack. and they will be logging there too as well as pipeline work

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's my update. My buddy and I were out yesterday and what I saw makes me shake my head. We ended up at both cabins then onto the pipeline. the wranglers cabin is already a mess. For the lazy folks that can't pack out their empties and garbage please consider NOT to going to the cabins. The snow pack is just okay. The coal creek road is the worst I have seen in 26 years so hopefully the grooming will start soon. As for the pipline and the notch( I am not even sure if we are allowed in the notch) its a disaster!!!. there will be carnage this year and that is forsure. I have rode the pipeline since 1996 and at times yesterday I felt if I have no ideal where I was. There is tons of metal stakes with a orange top on them just sticking out of the snow so on the next major storm those will be buried, hence the carnage... Every inch of the pipeline is changed. there is TONS of debris everywhere and large walls of where the cats have pushed the dirt and rocks and debris. As per the morrissey that might get REAL ugly... The logging equipment is still up there as well as MANY MANY loads of cut trees so that tells me the crews will be going up and working. Nobody leaves equipment in the bush for the winters. The road is plowed and goes past where the Doug Dean trail and the morrisey trail meet. There are plenty of just logged area's but again.... the equipment is still up there so the logging will be happening. The past few years is sure different compared to 10 years ago. Never did we deal with plowed roads and closed area's but times are changing.. O ya there is NO need to split firewood the the rolling hills cabin... DO IT outside!!!! . That's my update. If I have offended anyone by asking them to pack their empties and garbage out I really don't care. Be safe out there and respect each other and the area's that you ride in.
Maybe it’s better they leave a mess in the cabins? Those type of people would just throw that garbage on the snow and get the areas closed down. It’s sad how disrespectful people are these days. Not a good look for our sport.

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks. Had a buddy stage there Friday and went to wranglers and said it was pretty shitty and landmines everywhere. Hopefully get some fresh real soon.

Sent from my LE2115 using Tapatalk

Roit129

Reaction score
We were the first ones to the cabin on Friday and it was a mess, I can’t believe people leave there chit like that🤬🤬🤬. rode from tin shack to cabin via pipeline and yes there is land mines everywhere. I was surprise to see the new wranglers cabin, I haven’t rode there quite some time and it has change so much since I was there last. As far as snow pack I will stay home for a bit, tried to get off trail and its bottomless and stump. Be safe and have fun

Dont forget to pack your empty beer cans and garbage out👿👿👿

Ryson

Reaction score
Has it snowed there at all this weekend? Forecast isn’t looking great for any amounts for the next couple weeks.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has it snowed there at all this weekend? Forecast isn’t looking great for any amounts for the next couple weeks.
There is no snow in the forcast for the next two weeks and on top of that the cold snap is coming in a week. Boy I'm just bearer of great news.

Thistledoo

Reaction score
Yes I was also in the area this past weekend and im still crying inside....been riding this area for 25 years and I cant believe how its just been destroyed with logging and other types of projects. If your planning a trip to this zone Id reconsider as for the amount of riders and tha amount of useable terrain is shrinking every year and this year worst ever with plowed roads and machinery parked everywhere. The FSA never mentions whats "really" going on out there which is a pure shame. Very expensive to travel to the mtns and when you arrive and find world war 3 has happened in the coal creek and pipeline area you wont be happy at all.....:cry::cry::cry:

Ryson

Reaction score
Sounds like I should cancel this weekend I’m thinking.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes I was also in the area this past weekend and im still crying inside....been riding this area for 25 years and I cant believe how its just been destroyed with logging and other types of projects. If your planning a trip to this zone Id reconsider as for the amount of riders and tha amount of useable terrain is shrinking every year and this year worst ever with plowed roads and machinery parked everywhere. The FSA never mentions whats "really" going on out there which is a pure shame. Very expensive to travel to the mtns and when you arrive and find world war 3 has happened in the coal creek and pipeline area you wont be happy at all.....:cry::cry::cry:
Thanks for reconfirming what I have been saying. As a local guy that HATES change I see my favorite area's are just screwed!!!!

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Today my sledding buddy and I went and got me a load of firewood. We sure saw alot of logging trucks going up towards Coal Creek and also coming from Sparwood which means most likely from Corbin area. Going up Coal Creek road to the staging area just before the gun range is where the logging trucks are turning up. SO if you travel up there be carefull and use your radio. Its only a few kms but that road is narrow since the floods. O ya next week its -24 for a high. I might not even leave the house

Ryson

Reaction score
We are planning on staying in Coleman Thursday Friday Saturday. Was thinking either atlas or Coleman. Is there anything worth coming for other than rum runners? Lol. Doesn’t sound like anywhere is any good. My 12 year old is foaming at the mouth to get some miles on his new (to u
Him) sled. But if it’s just a train wreck he might as well go to hockey! So frustrating.

giddyup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks for the update, sure glad that the club sent me several reminders to renew my membership, sounds like i made a $300 donation, going to have to look for new riding areas sad that they have not started grooming, but might me very limited riding areas, i have no respect for people that to respect the back country, Pack it in Pack it out, clean up after yourself

Top Bottom