2021-2022 Revelstoke Area Updates

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Noticed that no one signed in at the cabin. Both lots full and maybe 10 lines on the sign out page when we left the hill. Be a nightmare for SAR if chit goes sideways
Just curious, how does signing in / out assist SAR?

We don't make it to the cabin many days.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just curious, how does signing in / out assist SAR?

We don't make it to the cabin many days.
On the sheet it asks for your name, radio channel you use, hotel you are staying at, home town and check in and check out time. Its not compulsory but great help to SAR if they find a vehicle in the lot when the groomer operator checks the book when doing the late night groom. At least if no one else knows you didn't come down then the groomer guy will and can radio for help if need be. I'm sure someone on here is part of a SAR team and can explain protocols better and how SAR would react to a name not checking out? My first trip to Revy in 1989 we didn't know to sign in and ended up walking out when we had trouble. Would have loved someone to come and give us a ride back to the lot at the time.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On the sheet it asks for your name, radio channel you use, hotel you are staying at, home town and check in and check out time. Its not compulsory but great help to SAR if they find a vehicle in the lot when the groomer operator checks the book when doing the late night groom. At least if no one else knows you didn't come down then the groomer guy will and can radio for help if need be. I'm sure someone on here is part of a SAR team and can explain protocols better and how SAR would react to a name not checking out? My first trip to Revy in 1989 we didn't know to sign in and ended up walking out when we had trouble. Would have loved someone to come and give us a ride back to the lot at the time.
Good to know. Many places I've been have no instruction, and it's more of a just write your name and date sort of thing.

I can definitely see where name and radio channel would be a big benefit.

Out of curiosity, does SAR look at vehicles in the lot? For a while we were putting that sort of info on a sheet on our dash. Now that our entire group rides with an Inreach or Zoleo, we stopped with that.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good to know. Many places I've been have no instruction, and it's more of a just write your name and date sort of thing.

Out of curiosity, does SAR look at vehicles in the lot? For a while we were putting that sort of info on a sheet on our dash. Now that our entire group rides with an Inreach or Zoleo, we stopped with that.
I used to leave a sheet on my dash. Name. Sled type. Radio channel.

But yeah when you avoid the cabin it's hard to sign in.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I’m not sure. Maybe someone like Tex 78 can give some insight?

Reactions: RXN

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m not sure. Maybe someone like Tex 78 can give some insight?
Sar does not move until directed by the RCMP after someone has opened a report about a missing person. As far as I know you can’t call S&R direct. If ya do, I believe ya they direct you to the RCs. At least that how I heard it works.

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
Yes that makes way more sense!
If they want people to sign in, it should be at the trail head
This topic was beat to death a few years ago with the club.
We suggeted trail head sign in sheet, (covered Turtle folks for example). No go, not interested
Redo sign in sheet to include radio channel....etc...
It was talked on deaf ears....

I still beleive the best plan, is one left with someone.
All information, radio channel, ride area, return time, check in time.
What to do if no contact made...etc.
Call RCMP to alert them. They will initiate te SAR team.

They want to make you beleive that if they see vehicles in the lot late the alarms will go off.
Not true.
Many people are night riders and sled well into the morning (after midnight).
Some folks still do overnight winter camping on the hill with their sleds.

Lots of folks dont want to leave notes on dash due to letting thieves know information.
Sad that this has to happen, But the way it is.

Just my 2 cents. Do as you please. Have a plan and a back up plan to your plan.
Staying on the mountain overnight is not that pleasant if your not prepared.
Especially if the wine and cheese/cracker tray gets dangerously low.
Bwhhaaa!

mt.sledder

Reaction score
Lots of folks just drive by the cabin or even stop but not sign in, they think they’re hero’s. How hard is it to just sign in! The attitudes that people have in general nowadays has really changed the last 20 years. Unfortunately the new breed of sledders and even some of the older ones display this crummy attitude. If the club is asking you to sign in at the cabin just quit being a whiny little baby and sign in, it’s not that difficult and in my opinion doesn’t infringe on your rights.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of folks just drive by the cabin or even stop but not sign in, they think they’re hero’s. How hard is it to just sign in! The attitudes that people have in general nowadays has really changed the last 20 years. Unfortunately the new breed of sledders and even some of the older ones display this crummy attitude. If the club is asking you to sign in at the cabin just quit being a whiny little baby and sign in, it’s not that difficult and in my opinion doesn’t infringe on your rights.
But they are tracking you.....

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We had a buddy that really hasn’t rode much in the last 20 yrs. We were digging him out and me a couple times that day. Snowing with fog and deep snow. No definition in the terrain

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
We had a buddy that really hasn’t rode much in the last 20 yrs. We were digging him out and me a couple times that day. Snowing with fog and deep snow. No definition in the terrain
I will get back to some real time reports after next week.
Been crazy at Alberta house.
Honey dewing!
Honey do dis, honey do dat! LOL.
I can say one thing, I sure do not remember this much snow around Cold lake for a very long time....

I know, not Revy conditions, but, wth,,,,,.
Marco says things are getting pretty beat up anyway and a well deserved reset is in order in Revy.
On a side note,,, Where the hell is Fernie Snow.. No likes or thanks on posts,, Not like the TEACH not to be blessing our grammer in posts....

Top Bottom