2020 Chassis Comparison

rhody605

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Would be interesting to see a 2021 update added to this comparison. With the Matrix chassis compared, even though it is trail. But will most likely be in the 2022 mountain lineup.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Would be interesting to see a 2021 update added to this comparison. With the Matrix chassis compared, even though it is trail. But will most likely be in the 2022 mountain lineup.

It’s impossible to say at this point if the RMK when released in the Matryx will have the same read geometry as the current Axys. The bulk of the change on the Matryx is the cockpit and reduction of profile.

The rear Pro RMK design hasn’t changed greatly since 2011. It’s quite possible nothing in the suspension geometry changes.

rhody605

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
True not much in geometry has changed.. new spindles is about all i read about.

But.... If maxwell had time again to try to do a front view comparison that would be sweet.
Would see big differences in body panel shapes.

But would prob be tough to find head on images. Then scale the views from the stated ski stance?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
True not much in geometry has changed.. new spindles is about all i read about.

But.... If maxwell had time again to try to do a front view comparison that would be sweet.
Would see big differences in body panel shapes.

But would prob be tough to find head on images. Then scale the views from the stated ski stance?

yup! thats really the only way to do it, without CAD models. They wont give me those LOL. But i do have this fancy laser scanner here at work. Now my gears are really turning.

Last edited:

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yup! thats really the only way to do it, without CAD models. They wont give me those LOL. But i do have this fancy laser scanner here at work. Now my gears are really turning.

Maxwell + Snowcheck sled tour in spring + 3d scanner + Matrix + G4 + Axys = groundbreaking sled knowledge

rhody605

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's a good idea. even with just photos prob could be done. Just need clear straight on photos..

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Goodmorning, Little slow here at work this morning so I came up with this comparison since there has been some talk about the new turbo chassis trenching ETC. i scaled all of these images to factory Published dimensions. The arctic cat alpha photo is not a perfect orthometric side shot like the other 3 machines so its not "as" accurate as the other 3 but take it for what its worth its pretty close.

i Set all of the sleds to the ski bolt on Gridline E

Let me know if you need any dimensions i can pretty much measure anything now in my CAD model.

what do you think polaris and skidoo are trying to accomplish with the steep attack angles?

why is the arctic cat steering so much further back on the chassis in comparison?

why is the Polaris skid moved substantially forward compared to the rest?

why cant you get your body as far forward on the cat and polaris as you can the skidoo?

we talk about why one chassis is better than the other, other than the attack angle they are all very similar within a couple inches.

Enjoy, Im going for lumch, there better be some controversy when i get back
View attachment 222135

Mountain sleds from the get go are built on a trail sled principle and manufactures all have played on ways to improve their model's with trail chassis traits. Gimmicks to suspensions and slight chassis differences appeal to some and help others depending on what you favor, the problem starts directly at the heart of the sleds.

The engine lay out in a mountain sled is WRONG for the intended purpose, while great for trail but for mountain use the rider fights the engine weight constantly.
Here is WHY;
All brands use the "parallel" concept. This is great for a speedster or trail sled's as it gives the sled a 3 point stance, two skis and a track. But at a cost of "flickability" LOL, if I can use that word for conversation purposes. Riders now have to fight the engine weight as it opposes the sleds center line carrying the weight left to right, right to left.

If you want "flickability" mountain maneuverability the sled design needs to hide the engine weight and not carry it in opposition to the sled center line. That mean's parrallel engine designs for mountain sleds need to be dropped and replaced with "V" or "W" designs that will run in the same direction as the sled center line. These are more compact and allow to concentrate engine weight in the center on the center line.

The rest are all bandaids to a bad design from the manufactures for mountain sleds. JMO

Last edited:
Top Bottom