2020 Chassis Comparison

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So.. its so slim, probably not noticeably to the average rider..!

Max - Quick question...why start the comparison with the control point at the front ski bolts?
The Cat sits noticeably lower. Niner has a bit of lift in his in that pic. Only time the slow height seems to be a problem is in very wet snow it hangs up more under the belly pan.

The Cat definitely has controls further back but I have found you don't need to get as far forward on it. Coming from a Doo I find myself anticipating steep sidehills and trying to get way forward but not needing to be as far forward as I think I need to be.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya unfortunately like mentioned the Cat image is not a true side shot like the others so that measurement wouldnt be accurate. But the polaris and skidoo do have more clearance for sure

Well actually it is more than that.
The picture askew due to being elevated and angled.
If it was a fair comparison picture you would be able to see that the Cat tunnel length more resembles he Expert that the X Model.
Cat has had the shortest tunnel since 2012 but good on Doo for catching up and the tiny snow flap (Cat's long cooling snow flap folds straight back for up on the hill, no removal required).
When I was out with two Doos at Renshaw two weeks ago I should have taken some real life chassis pictures on the hill.
Snow and ice hanging on to the Doo tunnel and the doo suspensions where packed full of snow - double yowzers on extra weight penalty.
My Alpha had a clean tunnel and maybe 5# of snow on the mono rail font assembly area - at least an easy 60# less than my brother and cousin's doos.
Chassis measurements/handling dry in the garage and actual chassis performance/handling on the hill are light years apart as is how a snow loaded sled handles/performs.
On the hill I would put my money on the Cat sitting higher than the snow loaded doos with their cheaper X-package less-adjustable shocks.

Snopro - that is shots fired providing Maxwell said requested controversy.

:smiliestirthepot::beer: :popcorn:

Last edited:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well actually it is more than that.
The picture askew due to being elevated and angled.
If it was a fair comparison picture you would be able to see that the Cat tunnel length more resembles he Expert that the X Model.
Cat has had the shortest tunnel since 2012 but good on Doo for catching up and the tiny snow flap.
When I was out with two Doos at Renshaw two weeks ago I should have taken some real life chassis pictures on the hill.
Snow and ice hanging on to the Doo tunnel and the doo suspensions where packed full of snow - double yowzers on extra weight penalty.
My Alpha had a clean tunnel and maybe 5# of snow on the mono rail font assembly area - at least an easy 60# less than my brother and cousin's doos.
Chassis measurements/handling dry in the garage and actual chassis performance/handling on the hill are light years apart as is how a snow loaded sled handles/performs.
On the hill I would put my money on the Cat sitting higher than the snow loaded doos with their cheaper X-package shocks.

Snopro - that is shots fired.

ya there is not one good side photo of the cat. Unless someone has one i certainly couldnt find one.

whats this snow sticking you speak of? i ride high grade light dry sugary pow, it doesnt stick to anything. LOL

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya there is not one good side photo of the cat. Unless someone has one i certainly couldnt find one.

whats this snow sticking you speak of? i ride high grade light dry sugary pow, it doesnt stick to anything. LOL

Yes to be fair it only really applies when there is more moisture in the snow - not on dry powder days.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Cat sits noticeably lower. Niner has a bit of lift in his in that pic. Only time the slow height seems to be a problem is in very wet snow it hangs up more under the belly pan.

The Cat definitely has controls further back but I have found you don't need to get as far forward on it. Coming from a Doo I find myself anticipating steep sidehills and trying to get way forward but not needing to be as far forward as I think I need to be.
Yes my sled is lifted. All I’m missing is a set of truck nuts hanging from the rear bumper... or a monster clevis would look cool too. Maxwell won’t controversy thought I could bring a little.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Interesting when you look at the tunnel on the cat and how it kicks up. Once you take the snow flap off it has a higher clearance than the circumsised tunnel.

jpmez69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Interesting when you look at the tunnel on the cat and how it kicks up. Once you take the snow flap off it has a higher clearance than the circumsised tunnel.

I would have to put on your rose colored glasses to see how the cat tunnel has more clearance than the rest... lol

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Attachments

• 30FB28A3-FC73-4004-B562-2365D11483F5.jpg
    30FB28A3-FC73-4004-B562-2365D11483F5.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 347

powder dreams

Reaction score
IV got a bunch of things I'd like know but might be hard to compair. I wonder what the khaos attack angle looks like vs the rest. Maybe a twin rail cat to just for reference. I find it funny how we are kinda going backwards with the attack angle. I remember how hot all the doolaid drinkers we're about the g4 angle. Now with the khaos it's kinda funny to see things going the other way.

Some other things that would be nice to compare:
Caster angle
Belly clearance
A arm angle (I feel this contributes to the lowness of the cat?)
Front view with reference lines on key points.(spindles, a arm mounts, ski center, a arm clearence, pannels)

They all seem to have positives in defferent areas. It's to bad a guy can't just pick and choose and combine all the details you want to make the ideal sled.

Quicksand

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IV got a bunch of things I'd like know but might be hard to compair. I wonder what the khaos attack angle looks like vs the rest. Maybe a twin rail cat to just for reference. I find it funny how we are kinda going backwards with the attack angle. I remember how hot all the doolaid drinkers we're about the g4 angle. Now with the khaos it's kinda funny to see things going the other way.

Caster angle
Belly clearance
Front view with reference lines on key points.(spindles, a arm mounts, ski center, a arm clearence, pannels)

They all seem to have positives in defferent areas. It's to bad a guy can't just pick and choose and combine all the details you want to make the ideal sled.

You mean like a Doo turbo with yamaha reliability, in an axys chassis, with an alpha skid, 4-5 year warranty and a Cat blast price tag?? Ya I'd take that

Sledtillded

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I ride a 20 AXYS 163. 2.6. I got to ride the new turbo yesterday In red sands

1– the turbo is the real deal. Period.

It is a wheelie King. limiter was pulled TIGHT. In some crazy pulls in the trees it was a little sketchy trying to keep the nose down and not go over backwards Yes I understand throttle control here. 175 should fix that.

2– comparing the chassis I could not for the life of me pull it over and keep a line on one ski. No matter how much counter steer I found it VERY hard to track on tough up or down, off camber tight turns.

3– the AXYS pulls over so easy. Almost too easy. I have a number of upside down pics to prove it. Lol. The AXYS in my opinion sits higher in the snow and initiating a turn is WAY smoother / easier
3— didn’t have a Cat but rode a 19 and initiating was easier for me.

The way polaris has set up their chassis is more intuitive in my opinion.

I would be bagged way sooner on the Doo.

Can the Doo faithful tell me what I need to do my next go around on the yellow Streak so I can ride the damn thing

And for those that have really put some time on an AXYS is it easier to ride or not ?

as in effort to throw it around.

Last edited:

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I ride a 20 AXYS 163. 2.6. I got to ride the new turbo yesterday In red sands

It is a wheelie King. limiter was pulled TIGHT. In some crazy pulls in the trees it was a little sketchy trying to keep the nose down and not go over backwards Yes I understand throttle control here. 175 should fix that.

2– comparing the chassis I could not for the life of me pull it over and keep a line on one ski. No matter how much counter steer I found it VERY hard to track on tough up or down, off camber tight turns.

3– the AXYS pulls over so easy. Almost too easy. I have a number of upside down pics to prove it. Lol. The AXYS in my opinion sits higher in the snow and initiating a turn is WAY smoother / easier

Can the Doo faithful tell me what I need to do my next go around on the yellow Streak so I can ride the damn thing

And for those that have really put some time on an AXYS is it easier to ride or not ?

GO......

I expected that the thing would wheel pretty good. I basically built the exact same sled in 2017. I found the HD rear torsion springs and spring spacers helped out a lot in that scenario. Play with the suspensions front and back and work on your positioning on the sled for better control on a sidehill. It can make a huge diff. Its a balance point and once you find it you will love the sled. I am far from the best rider to be giving tips but just passing on info from guys that can ride and have zero issues putting the G4 exactly where they want to. Good luck!

vodoo103

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would like to see the comparisons made within each brand - it would be interesting to see the evolution from Rev to XP to XM to G4 for example.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Couple of things.

#1 is your body position. The G4 chassis is what you make of it with your body position. feet in the back its going to wheelie. Body of the front a little and it will climb a wall with the skis planted. You can position your body much further forward on the G4 vs any other chassis. if it starts to wheelie, move forward. This makes the g4 agile in all conditions IMO. This is an adjustment to make for axys riders, it requires completely different body positioning and rider input to operate the machine. Only seat time will allow you to get used to this. Its the same for me riding the AXYS, i cant make it do anything i want to do without spending a reasonable amount of time on it. Handlebar Setup is also a big factor on the skidoos. The riser needs to be aligned with the steering post and hanndlebars in position 0

#2 is your rider input, the G4 requires very little, if your trying to hold a sidehill line you dont need to counter steer just put some input into the ball of your foot to control the sled and point in the direction you want to go. Countersteering on the G4 is only required in super steep slow moving technical terrain where you need to be laying into the snow. again, if your body is too far back ( AXYS Position) it will want to always dart uphill. Move your feet forward.

#3 Wheeling is a factor of traction and ground speed. If the terrain is getting steeper and the sled isnt able to maintain ground speed but still has avaiable traction its going to come over. If you have a setup climbing skid you will be in the same spot just stuck rather than flipped over. So to each their own on how they want to tackle steep terrain, the expert package is designed to flip and come back down once groundspeed has been lost but traction is maintained.

At the end of the day, the sleds are so different that only seat time and getting some tips from experienced riders on that chassis will get you feeling comfortable on it. for all brands. The G4 will do everything the axys or alpha will do with similar or less input. Its just a differentapproach as to how you arrive at those results.

Last edited:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Caster angle
Belly clearance

on it!

Sledtillded

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Couple of things.

#1 is your body position. The G4 chassis is what you make of it with your body position. feet in the back its going to wheelie. Body of the front a little and it will climb a wall with the skis planted. You can position your body much further forward on the G4 vs any other chassis. if it starts to wheelie, move forward. This makes the g4 agile in all conditions IMO. This is an adjustment to make for axys riders, it requires completely different body positioning and rider input to operate the machine. Only seat time will allow you to get used to this. Its the same for me riding the AXYS, i cant make it do anything i want to do without spending a reasonable amount of time on it. Handlebar Setup is also a big factor on the skidoos. The riser needs to be aligned with the steering post and hanndlebars in position 0

#2 is your rider input, the G4 requires very little, if your trying to hold a sidehill line you dont need to counter steer just put some input into the ball of your foot to control the sled and point in the direction you want to go. Countersteering on the G4 is only required in super steep slow moving technical terrain where you need to be laying into the snow. again, if your body is too far back ( AXYS Position) it will want to always dart uphill. Move your feet forward.

#3 Wheeling is a factor of traction and ground speed. If the terrain is getting steeper and the sled isnt able to maintain ground speed but still has avaiable traction its going to come over. If you have a setup climbing skid you will be in the same spot just stuck rather than flipped over. So to each their own on how they want to tackle steep terrain, the expert package is designed to flip and come back down once groundspeed has been lost but traction is maintained.

At the end of the day, the sleds are so different that only seat time and getting some tips from experienced riders on that chassis will get you feeling comfortable on it. for all brands. The G4 will do everything the axys or alpha will do with similar or less input. Its just a differentapproach as to how you arrive at those results.

Great honest advise!!!!
I have been over riding it then. The hard part for me is to stand so far ahead and that must be where it goes south.
The new boards on the AXYS are AWSOME and I have major control with my feet closer to the back when climbing.

I will try moving up on the boards and not counter steer as hard and giver a go again.

My forearms and shoulders are still sore from trying not to get ripped off that thing.
SHE PULLS
Cheers !!

Top Bottom