2019/2020 Mcbride Conditions and Updates

j.c.higgins

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That’s great, if possible could you please relay that information back as to what is open and isn’t. Because I looked at there online material and there is an active snowmobile trail up Castle Creek thru a very small corridor to the very back of South Dore and up into very steep terrain. The 26-27km route you mention is to North Dore and that shows no access!

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That’s great, if possible could you please relay that information back as to what is open and isn’t. Because I looked at there online material and there is an active snowmobile trail up Castle Creek thru a very small corridor to the very back of South Dore and up into very steep terrain. The 26-27km route you mention is to North Dore and that shows no access!

You are correct and what is still open is really not worth the effort.
Last bridge is also washed out, good luck crossing creek.
Can only go UP TO the lake and UP TO but not on the glacier which is full of crevasse and has claimed lives.
Ask rknightlll what it is like on the glavier.

Last edited:

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We were back at this glacier last year thinking it was the end of the line. Then these guys pull up and start putting their harnesses on. They said if they fell in a crevasse it would make it easier to pull themselves out. Good on them for planning ahead but that was crazy.

Attachments

• 061A6502-C072-4698-8F40-B46E2FB958C0.jpg
    061A6502-C072-4698-8F40-B46E2FB958C0.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 353

glassman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When the people actually in charge, tell me its fine, its fine. They out rule some internet blow hard!
I'm going to be in PG Monday, planned to stop by their office and chat with them.
Already have an appointment.
The misinformation on this forum is wild!!!

Good luck with your appointment, as the office is likely closed given the current circumstances. You can email the office like I did, and you get all the answers you need. Your wasting your time anyways trying to prove something that people already know. There is closure in there, so ride with respect, and make sure you have the government maps overlayed on your garmin, so you don’t get everyone shut out.

glassman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here’s the facts. I know, because I make every effort to stay in compliance, and have been in contact with the BC Government. I use the proper mapping overlayed on my Garmin GPS.
Is there riding back there, YES. But you have almost 30k of trail, which can be dangerous for the inexperienced rider. Avy terrain to cross, tight trees, snow bridges for some areas, and some sheer drops into the valley below. Not for everyone. Speaking of everyone, if more than 10 guys ride back there for one day, then the area is pretty much done. So what happens? Guys spent the time to ride all the way back there, and it is tracked out? So we will just dip into this trackless area... closure!
Now take this for what it is worth. I am just as mad about closure as the next guy. I have been fortunate to ride in most of the areas around mcbride, blue and vale, before there was closure. Been in the north and south Dore lots. But if I’m going to ride 30k of trail, groomed is nice, unless there is no traffic.
These little areas that are still rideable are often considered closed, by the locals, as they want to keep a few hidden gems to themselves. Why not? They are the ones that are usually actively involved in the clubs that keep the designated riding areas open for the general population. And for that, I am thankful.
Ride there if you want, but ride with respect, so we can all continue to enjoy the sport.
Wish I was riding, instead of typing....

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you are correct. we have a small corridor off the end of the castle to the right which the club asked for but do not manage. but once in there you need to know where the boundary is for the closure. the facts are there have been many tickets issued in the dore closures

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here’s the facts. I know, because I make every effort to stay in compliance, and have been in contact with the BC Government. I use the proper mapping overlayed on my Garmin GPS.
Is there riding back there, YES. But you have almost 30k of trail, which can be dangerous for the inexperienced rider. Avy terrain to cross, tight trees, snow bridges for some areas, and some sheer drops into the valley below. Not for everyone. Speaking of everyone, if more than 10 guys ride back there for one day, then the area is pretty much done. So what happens? Guys spent the time to ride all the way back there, and it is tracked out? So we will just dip into this trackless area... closure!
Now take this for what it is worth. I am just as mad about closure as the next guy. I have been fortunate to ride in most of the areas around mcbride, blue and vale, before there was closure. Been in the north and south Dore lots. But if I’m going to ride 30k of trail, groomed is nice, unless there is no traffic.
These little areas that are still rideable are often considered closed, by the locals, as they want to keep a few hidden gems to themselves. Why not? They are the ones that are usually actively involved in the clubs that keep the designated riding areas open for the general population. And for that, I am thankful.
Ride there if you want, but ride with respect, so we can all continue to enjoy the sport.
Wish I was riding, instead of typing....

So as of right now, how are you getting into north dore than without going in from south dore? Now you have me curious.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We were back at this glacier last year thinking it was the end of the line. Then these guys pull up and start putting their harnesses on. They said if they fell in a crevasse it would make it easier to pull themselves out. Good on them for planning ahead but that was crazy.

Behind your sled is the Ridge and over that is the large part of the glacier. You can then access Mt Lunn to the left and waaaay down the glacier to the right you can drop back into the valley and loop back to Caribou lake.
At the the top north end of the Ridge you can breat 10,000 but it is now out of bounds.
Lunn is over 10k also.

Last edited:

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So as of right now, how are you getting into north dore than without going in from south dore? Now you have me curious.

The only other way is down the Dore River Road and take a right at the Y.
Getting from South to north Dore is a spring or turbo only pull.
That is about 2,000 vertical feet in one pull no breaks and all the trees on that face lean down hill if you know what I mean. This face is also now in the closed area as well as the valley at the base all the way back to the lake.
West down the valley took you to lake Mitchell but all this is now closed.
Yes I have ridden there a lot.

Last edited:

j.c.higgins

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Dore river road goes in a quite ways, all the way to Ozalenka i believe which is tenured to the cross country ski club or was at one time. And there are different spur roads heading up the valleys.

Last edited:

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com

I experienced falling into a crevasse years ago on dore, thanks to snochuk I can still talk about this today.

j.c.higgins

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I remember going into South Dore for the first time and we were ripping all over the Glacier and surrounding area and we come back the next year and there are these huge crevasses all over and we’re like “Wow we won’t be riding on that glacier again!”

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Details and pics please. For educational purposes...

We are not that type of a group so there are no pictures of Ron's shorts.
But he did fall into a crevasse and needed help getting out.

Dore glacier is not flat on either half and has many many crevasses due to sharp contour changes.
If you have not seen this glacier in low snow condition to see safe routes stay the hell off.
This is a huge glacier with crevasse fields up to a kilometer long in several areas. If you have seen the North end of Dixon Glacier at Climina......that is most of Dore in low snow.
Especially the west half but the north edge to center of the east half is bad also, almost ate Ron.
Very few safe routes to the center Ridge.

Last edited:

Poleman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Always an adventure heading up to the glacier until the area got shut down. Some crazy avy shoots through the valley and more than once we had to cross over slides that came down after we had gone past earlier in the day. Was always neat to sled amongst the heli skiers from Europe. They loved checking out our sleds. The guides weren't as impressed probably because we would mess up their lines. And wow some nasty climbs and drops but yes most of all crazy crevasses so not really smart to be up there. But we were a lot younger and didn't really appreciate the risks.

glassman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Never said i was, but someone has. This is why people need to learn how to read the maps, so they know that are not in closed areas. Just because you follow some other non compliant guys tracks into an area, or some guy told you on the internet, doesn’t mean you aren’t going to get a fine, or worse. Know where your riding or don’t ride there.

Simple.

Top Bottom