2015 Cummins no start.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So haven’t driven my pick up during this cold snap but tried to fire it up today.

It has been plugged in to a working receptacle all week. Tested power at the cord end to confirm.

Truck cranked over and continued to crank but would not start.

Grid heater lights come on for a few seconds but shut off pretty quick. Assuming it thinks things are warm since it is plugged in.

I have notice it has studdered a bit lately when it first had fired up cold (not -20 to 30 cold) before it gets up to normal RPm and then idles for warm up.

Truck is just over 100,000 km.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
This happened to my daughters diesel once. Same year.
Dealer said it was gelled/frozen fuel.
Truck started after being in shop overnight.
They added some conditioner antigel stuff and never happened again.

Good thing. Way cheaper on dads pocket book. LOL.

Not saying this is your problem, but only cost us a tow bill.
Might be a place to start.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Get it in a warm shop if you can or the old reliable tarp and heater method.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First thing I'd check is fuel. Bad fuel or water in fuel. Could be jelled off or frozen.

I agree, fuel issue.

This happened to my daughters diesel once. Same year.
Dealer said it was gelled/frozen fuel.
Truck started after being in shop overnight.
They added some conditioner antigel stuff and never happened again.

Good thing. Way cheaper on dads pocket book. LOL.

Not saying this is your problem, but only cost us a tow bill.
Might be a place to start.

You sponsor your daughter to drive a diesel, need a son?

Ballzdeep

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it has a rough idle when its NOT -20-30 then it shouldn't be gelled diesel. IMO.could be a plugged or few plugged injectors.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks.

Got it running with the tarp and heater.

Put a bottle of conditioner/anti gel in it.

It seemed like a cylinder was missing for the first minute before it got up to proper idle.

I have noticed it idle a bit shatty for the first minute before it got to minus a million.

I guess I’ll see how it goes for the next bit and get injectors tested if it continues?

Has always started before and Run normal after it starts and get up to idle.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do the newer ones still do a 3 cyl high idle in really really cold temps like the old 24v's used to?

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you got it running. Get it in a shop let it thaw change fuel filters drain in glass jar if visible water think about draining main tank.
Conditioners come in emulsifier formula (breaks down and encapsulates into small burnable particles) or demulsifier which flat out separates water from diesel. You have to decide your method...

in the winter I prefer to fill my slip tank at station and transfer through to truck. Overkill I know but I haven’t ever had water in my fuel which can cost thousands quickly..

Ballzdeep

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When i had a ford with the junk injectors id run Hot Shots Secrets. Good chit, flying Jays used to sell it not sure if they still do.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When i had a ford with the junk injectors id run Hot Shots Secrets. Good chit, flying Jays used to sell it not sure if they still do.

This applies to HEUI injectors. These are injectors that have issues with Stiction that are actuated with engine oil. All modern systems use direct injection at crazy high pressure so it is critical that diesel is dry/clean because these systems are operated with diesel not oil.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 2006 Cummins will turn over a little longer even after being plugged in below -25c. Happens also when I have the 2amp trickle charger on over night. Coughs a little but after about 10sec smoothens out, then high idle after 30-45sec

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do the newer ones still do a 3 cyl high idle in really really cold temps like the old 24v's used to?
I don't believe so. What they do now is actuate the VGT to put some load on the turbo & engine until the EGT gets to a certain temp. You have to turn the exhaust brake on when you fire it up for this to work though

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks.

Got it running with the tarp and heater.

Put a bottle of conditioner/anti gel in it.

It seemed like a cylinder was missing for the first minute before it got up to proper idle.

I have noticed it idle a bit shatty for the first minute before it got to minus a million.

I guess I’ll see how it goes for the next bit and get injectors tested if it continues?

Has always started before and Run normal after it starts and get up to idle.
Mine sounds like an old diesel for the first few minutes when it's really cold out.

In your case, bad fuel could cause a rough idle when it's cold though.

Do you change both fuel filters every 24k? These new injection systems don't like contamination.

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Agree with the comments above change out your fuel filters and drain the water separator.. Also not sure what you are running for oil but i found the biggest difference when i had my diesel is run a good quality full synth oil.. Once i switched oil i no longer had to plug it in would fire up like nothing every time no mater how cold but i only get to about -30... With our cold snap this week the first day of -38 it was nothing but batteries, diesel 911, brakeline antifreeze, and filters all day.. Pretty much sold out lol.. the joys of working in a big truck shop

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Agree with the comments above change out your fuel filters and drain the water separator.. Also not sure what you are running for oil but i found the biggest difference when i had my diesel is run a good quality full synth oil.. Once i switched oil i no longer had to plug it in would fire up like nothing every time no mater how cold but i only get to about -30... With our cold snap this week the first day of -38 it was nothing but batteries, diesel 911, brakeline antifreeze, and filters all day.. Pretty much sold out lol.. the joys of working in a big truck shop
Regardless of your oil, you should be plugging in vehicles below -20C....

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not always possible and not always needed if you run a good oil suited or your climate

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check your air filter for leaks. Pull the oil fill cap off when it’s running, is it puffing out of there? If it’s sounding like a cylinder is missing, puffing exhaust hard and rough till it warms up, you either have some injectors that are **** or worse, your air filter has a leak and has sucked in enough dust to dust the engine and cause low compression when it’s cold.

Engine will still run fine, but you’ll be down a bit of power and fuel up the oil way faster than normal.

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not always possible and not always needed if you run a good oil suited or your climate
The comment I was referring to was that now that he is running synth oil, he no longer needed to plug it in down to -30. I get it if you don't have access to power, but to start diesel trucks below -20 regularly isn't easy on them. It isn't easy on a gasser. Just because it starts, doesn't mean it wants to.

Top Bottom