2014 Summit X, 154, 800etec

tucker_98

Reaction score
Hey guys,

my 14' has about 4400km on it now, not easy miles. Original top end. Has a MBRP Race Can on it that I don't like, guessing its basically straight pipe now since its old and ragged looking and absolutely loud as hell which I'm hoping to solve soon. Was curious what your input might be on some of the following annoyances I've been experiencing with it:

-End of last season I had the sled loaded in my truck overnight and temps dipped to -25 Deg C (-13 Deg F). Warmed up a little the next morning by the time I got to the staging area. Stiffer than hell to pull over, finally got it to but it fired on one cylinder then fouled both plugs within 10 seconds and was absolutely brutal to try and pull over after I replaced them. Ended up going home since me and 4 other guys couldn't get it to fire. Pull start only, no easy button. Home in the garage for 2 hours warming up and it fired up like normal with an easy pull and ran great. Is this normal? I also noticed that when I first fire it on after a cold drive (2-3 hours) to the staging area it will be hesitant to stay running for the first 1-2 minutes after starting, and will die if I touch the throttle at all until it generates some heat. I had a 2013 almost identical sled but e-start and never found that, but also had way less mileage. What do you guys think? Have not compression tested since my compression tester won't fit in the tight little offset area where the plugs go in these.

-I have a little intermittent bog periodically around the 1/4 throttle mark where you can hear it studder for a second but comes to life when I crack it and hits RPM properly. I was going to put a stock muffler back on and hoping it was from the blown out MBRP Race Can, but have since seen a few posts referring to reeds causing a similar issue. Planning to pull them to inspect over the next few weeks.

-Replaced every single A-arm bushing at the end of last season since it was catching on the trail and steering where ever it wanted, abruptly. The bushings were totally shot with loads of play all around. Haven't had a chance to ride it since I replaced them, the season ended quickly and I moved onto the summer toys. Also adjusted limiter strap down to "wheelie/trench mode" to try and reduce some ski pressure, again haven't had the chance to ride it yet since I made these changes. Hoping the trail manners will be better on the way in to the mountains.

-One last annoyance would be the rough trail / whooped out bump handling. On previous sleds if I was feeling aggressive I could nail these sections and slam through them. The way this machine is set up it wants to throw me up over the handlebars if I try so I take it slow now. Probably for the best to slow down anyways, but are all of the XMs like this? I don't remember my 13 doing that, and my 2015 Polaris RMK I had before this sled didn't suffer from this either. Think that will be better now that I've removed some ski pressure via the limiter strap?

Thanks all. Sorry for the long read, just figured I'd see what kind of input you guys have.

Attachments

• IMG_20220218_221941.jpg
    IMG_20220218_221941.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_20220225_131141.jpg
    IMG_20220225_131141.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_20220126_141219.jpg
    IMG_20220126_141219.jpg
    296.9 KB · Views: 160

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine was crazy hard to start in the cold. I'd yard it off the deck and then had the truck exhaust shooting in to one side. That usually worked.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Etecs don't typically foul plugs. When you replace them did you index them properly? Use gas line antifreeze? If you store sled in a heated garage I would use it often.
When it's really cold give it 2-3 half pulls to lossen it up and it should fire with one good yank.
As far as handling, I would toss all the stock shocks and get a new set of Fox, Raptor or equivalent.
Stock hpg shocks last about 500kms, kyb x package shocks are rebuildable but still not up to aftermarket quality.

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 2013 acted similar couple winters ago. When real cold I would pull it twice and it would fire but stumble and quit. Try again and it was like it was seized. Ended up being a fuel sensor and program update. Was putting in too much fuel. If it was in shop or heated trailer it would fire on 1 pull and be good.

Stevemtb

Reaction score
My 2013 acted similar couple winters ago. When real cold I would pull it twice and it would fire but stumble and quit. Try again and it was like it was seized. Ended up being a fuel sensor and program update. Was putting in too much fuel. If it was in shop or heated trailer it would fire on 1 pull and be good.
Did you get any lights or codes for that fuel sensor?

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Etecs don't typically foul plugs. When you replace them did you index them properly? Use gas line antifreeze? If you store sled in a heated garage I would use it often.
When it's really cold give it 2-3 half pulls to lossen it up and it should fire with one good yank.
As far as handling, I would toss all the stock shocks and get a new set of Fox, Raptor or equivalent.
Stock hpg shocks last about 500kms, kyb x package shocks are rebuildable but still not up to aftermarket quality.
Have to disagree there. Etecs were / are notorious for fouling plugs in cold weather. They even released an ECM update for those 13-16 sleds I think. Lots of guys would keep a spare set on the dash heater on cold mornings. Can also shoot a propane torch up the exhaust and pre-heat it for a few mins that way, roll motor over slowly to get heat into both cylinders. Also can use dryer ducting from truck exhaust into engine bay to pre-heat. Or buy an enclosed trailer LOL.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have to disagree there. Etecs were / are notorious for fouling plugs in cold weather. They even released an ECM update for those 13-16 sleds I think. Lots of guys would keep a spare set on the dash heater on cold mornings. Can also shoot a propane torch up the exhaust and pre-heat it for a few mins that way, roll motor over slowly to get heat into both cylinders. Also can use dryer ducting from truck exhaust into engine bay to pre-heat. Or buy an enclosed trailer LOL.

Huh, interesting. I put 6000kms on my 13 and changed plugs once at 4500 km. My riding group has had Lots of different etecs from 2012-2021 never seen a fouled plug on any of them.

Top Bottom