2014 Ram 3500 6.4L

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My best friend just did a motor on a 2015 at 110,000 because of the lifters. Replaced it in his backyard

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, 5w30 is an option. The only problem with that is it’s has less detergents therefore the service intervals would have to be reduced. Let’s be honest. I’ve had customer’s with a brand new Cummins come in and ask when they should do their first oil change. “I have 22k on my truck and the service minder hasn’t come on”? Now that is the idiot salesman not doing his job! In your case, if you’ve done the the mds delete then you wouldn’t have to worry and could run 8-10k on 5w30.

I do 7500km. I figured oil is cheaper and less hassle then lifter or motors lol

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Really liking my 21 6.4, have 12,000km on it
Definitely thirstier than the 5.7 but tows my skid steer waaay better.
8spd tranny shifts really quick.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, 5w30 is an option. The only problem with that is it’s has less detergents therefore the service intervals would have to be reduced. Let’s be honest. I’ve had customer’s with a brand new Cummins come in and ask when they should do their first oil change. “I have 22k on my truck and the service minder hasn’t come on”? Now that is the idiot salesman not doing his job! In your case, if you’ve done the the mds delete then you wouldn’t have to worry and could run 8-10k on 5w30.
Why would you think 5w30 has less detergents?

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yuppers,,, its lumber wagon tuff and thirsty like a horse !!!

Just buy it and drive the £u€¿ing b@!!zzz off it !!!

Life is just that simple...

If fuel milage is a deal breaker,,, then it might be wize too buy a 1977 Ford Pinto or VW Beetle and pick up some cross country skis and a 1 peace spandex race suit... Ha

Real men drive trucks and wear thongs under their blue Jean's,,, make us feel sexy in-side...

Oh Boy 🥺

bendy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah. They say that the 5w30 is obviously thicker but the 5w20 has higher detergent qualities allowing for longer service intervals without plugging critical oil passages for mds functions. Theoretically… It makes sense. Do I believe it, I don’t know. An engineer would crawl over a thousand virgins just to phuck one technician!

Top Bottom