2014 freeride- heavy vibrations 25-35km per hour- help?

teamdirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Having some vibration issues around 25-35kph. Checked track-clean of ice and snow. Primary and secondary Clutch seems fine. Looked at plastic track cogs and have some wear but not sure.... a bit of wear on track sides but seems standard. Any help, similar issues? Doesn't seem to getting worse after 250km of riding. Haven't had a chance to drop off a dealer to inspect...

Thanks

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you leave your park break on and smoke your belt off bad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teamdirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you leave your park break on and smoke your belt off bad?

I did check the belt- it is mint! Originally i thought it was the belt too as it sounds like right before when the belt is about to detonate. But like i said Ive put over 250km on it since I noticed, and checked everything. The one thing that has changed since I noticed it is at the end of last season I got the warranty update on the rear bolts and haven't really been on it till now....

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you got those bolts changed out maybe they never lined your track up properly. It might be over to one side a bit.

Ramjet15x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bent drive axle last year, bumped a rock climbing, didn't hit hard or anything, rode fine in deep snow on way out, didn't feel a thing. Next week up couldn't ride up trail it was so bad

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Drivers and track alignment are the biggest cause for vibrations... Belts typically don't. Mayby a bearing went in the skid causing a wheel to wobble, or a wheel that has a whobble to it from a bad landing or rock.

i know for me I just cause the upper chaincase bearing before it failed.

how many km on the machine?

teamdirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Drivers and track alignment are the biggest cause for vibrations... Belts typically don't. Mayby a bearing went in the skid causing a wheel to wobble, or a wheel that has a whobble to it from a bad landing or rock.

i know for me I just cause the upper chaincase bearing before it failed.

how many km on the machine?

1500km- still on same belt and the belt looks brand new. Im going to look at the alignment but eyeballing it up it looks pretty bang on.

Ramjet15x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
put your sled on it's side and watch your drivers spin the track, you'll be able to see it if it's out of balance or out of round, 30 seconds removes the guess work from one variable

caper7

Reaction score
Check the back of the top bearing in chaincase more than likely bearing is shot a friends 2014 freeride 146 1800km was doing it the weekend and bearing was shot and the chaincase.. He complained of heavy vibration.. The week before had checkengine light come on then go off after restart and then the warm up light wouldn't go off sled would bog and backfire the stator went had a pic but I deleted it .

Attachments

• Freeride chain case 018.jpg
    Freeride chain case 018.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:

teamdirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for all your replys. I have meant to give you an update to help enlighten us all on the issue however the truth is Im located someplace where the snow conditions and snow depth have been absolute sh#t. Its at the point where its pointless to go out....

Anyway I talked to my dealer over the phone back in Golden who are absolutely awesome and best guys I have ever dealt with and I described the situation. Remember I can always take the sled in to get checked but i am located 8 hours from there for the winter so its a bit difficult. They asked a few questions and suggested me to recheck the belt off the machine and carefully run my fingers along the outsides. They described possible a slightly burnt belt which would be familiar with the chopper like vibration at certain RPM and the fact that I have put 200km on it with out the problem getting worse. I took the belt off the machine and I think I can feel a depression which they described but it might also be just a mind F#ck, as the belt looks mint to me. So I did change the belt but I have not taken the sled out again to test as like I said the conditions are ****, glazed frozen ice valley bottom to the summits of all the mountains. **** snow season on the coast....snowing-followed by heavy mountain top rains-followed by high pressure- followed by low freezing levels-Hoping it was a simple issue to fix and I will let you all know once I test it.

teamdirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Update: I finally got out. And lucky just in time because the trails in are almost toast and becoming very close to being impassable. Raging rivers, snow bridges have all washed away, mud, ponds, boulder fields and timber have all emerged from the weak south coast snowpack. Still lots of snow in the alpine but extremely thin all the way to the alpine...
Anyways, yes turns out the belt was the issue. Hard to believe as I inspected it several times and it was not visible to the eye. Changed it out-broke in the new and we are good to go. Hoping for a few more days out here on the coast and then back to Golden for April-May! Thanks everyone for all your replys and input. Appreciated!

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't feel bad. You are not the first. Had probably a half dozen guys over the years drive to the store, some from great distances to get me to change there belt. It is easy to overlook.

teamdirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't feel bad. You are not the first. Had probably a half dozen guys over the years drive to the store, some from great distances to get me to change there belt. It is easy to overlook.

So funny. Feel like an idiot, I questioned the belt so many times but visual kept pulling my thoughts away. Been mountain sledding 15+ years and have had the last 15+ years of winter free of work. Lots of days and lots of experience but sometimes the most simple thing can cause the most headache...

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The first one I ran into I checked drive axle and rest of drive train for bent or worn parts. After an hour or so I was standing in the shop holding the belt thinking what the hell is causing this vibration and happened to run the belt between my fingers and felt the blister. Looked like a genious after that. Not a genious because cant spell it apparently. Lol.

teamdirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Conditions report. Our group had 4- Sleds up today. 8 ice scratchers- 6 snapped...

Top Bottom