2014 / 2015 Valemount Conditions and Updates

Maxwe

Reaction score
Visiability was tough at Clemina today so we were in the trees for a while today. Snow was heavy and it rained on us. We went in to the alpine and the snow was dry for the most part. The wind was extreme in the alpine resulting in the dry snow drifting and creating some deep areas and other areas wind swept. In the afternoon we were back in the trees so unclear what ended up happening in the alpine. It was about minus 3 in the alpine and plus 3 in the lower trees.

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Allen Creek today was quite surprising. The snow was on the heavy side but nothing like our visit to Chappell Creek yesterday. We pillaged anywhere from 30-50cm of good quality snow and had bits and pieces of visibility throughout the day.

I did trigger on sz 2 on a north east aspect while dropping in on a convexity doing downhill lines on a 40degree slope. Crown was approximately 55cm, 45m wide and ran for about 60m. This was the only avalanche activity we had seen in two days of riding but the hazard exists for sure.

Ride safe everyone!

little video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ud-DjnUFNM

link to a few photos
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.786672041413631.1073741835.696687023745467&type=1

Mr.Dummie

Reaction score
This was my first ever visit to Valemount we rode 3 days in Allen Creek. First day no visibility due to the snow fall up there, not that I'm complaing because when I got back to my truck I had 5" of snow on my truck bed cover. So the second day we thought the forecast for Valemount would be way different from the top of Allen. Well we found heavy wet snow that got my entire suit wet, non the less we found heavy wet untouched snow the whole day (y). 3rd day(Saturday) was absolutely beautiful I could finally see across the valley and could actually go exploring without getting lost. That was a tough day of stucks accompanied by beautiful views. Then found a awesome steep Hill? Depicted south of the cabin about 5 km That we climb about 5 times before we moved along, then played in those little climbs for about an hour until 4 then made our way back while trying to find some untouched snow, some untouched but it was out of our way as we had to get back to valemount to pack for our 14 hour trip. Despite the rain on our way up on day two this was my best mountain riding experience ever I'll be back with more friends next year. P.S. Can't wait to see what Clemina and Chappel have to offer. From Four Northern Saskatchewan guys.

Last edited:

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another amazing day today. Fresh EVERYWHERE!

Visibility was hit and miss but when it cleared the throttles were tapped.

Alpine temps rose to +5 by late afternoon and the snow did begin to get heavier, but what an amazing last two days on the snow canoes!

Please check the link below for some photos from today
www.facebook.com/frozenpiratesnowservices

Last edited:

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca

YFZ 450

Reaction score
Not too much snow at allen today... pretty much tracked out... around the cabin ;) but my sled rips on the trail

tko sled ed

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.foxmaplehomes.com
Will be out that way on Sunday with my 12yr old boy just wondering if anyone else would be around with the same and want to meet up thx

From mooseknuckle sledding lodge
04 outback dd vortec

VARDA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Riding this past weekend was extremely variable. Aspect and elevation really determined the snow quality you were going to find. Above 2000m, riders were enjoying up to 55cm of fresh, yet sometimes heavy snow. At this point, we are forecasted for another spell of very warm temperatures.

The upcoming weekend looks to be offering quite mild weather and even some sun. The current snowpack is a mixed bag for sure that needs some respect. The past few weeks of warm temps, wind, alpine rain and snow have all increased the complexity of an already complex snowpack and conservative terrain selection is crucial.

If we end up with some sun while riding over the weekend, please keep your wits about you and enjoy the family day weekend safely.

We are still running our full grooming program and are maintaining the trails the best we can given the weather conditions. As always our goal is to provide the best trail possible given the conditions and your understanding is greatly appreciated.

Have a great weekend and ride safe.

edge rmk700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.Greatly appreciated,how is the the trail to chappell creek and the snow. Going there for the first time this weekend.

VARDA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All trails still have full snow cover and are being groomed.....for now. It looks to be getting close to freezing on Saturday and Sunday nights and that will help a lot.

VARDA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Meals on Wheels will be hosting a Spaghetti Dinner fundraiser on Feb 14th at the Valemount Legion from 5-8pm. $13 gets you a heaping plate of spaghetti & meatballs, salad and garlic toast. Children under 10 will pay a dollar per year of age.

Come on out for a good home cooked supper and to support a great cause.

Top Bottom