2012 Etec issues - post what you have had happen (not what you have heard)

yettipowwow

Reaction score
2012 summit 163 800 etecR with electric start
1000km on it now
-thumb warmer just goes up by itself.
-DESS key always hard to find the right spot sometimes.
- Hit about 400km on it the RPM went from 7000 to 8000, this is a good thing.
These are the only issues I have had.

dropitbuster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Only starting page 7 after a month!!! If this was a Polaris or Cat issue thread it would be on page 7 within an hour. Nothing too concerning here. I'm snowchecking a 13 tomorrow!!! Thanks for all the great information it made my decision easy.

Last edited:

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1900 miles on 2011

issues have been, that belt needed to be shimed out 200 thou, and burnt out one o2 sensor...

then turboed sled, had a few low voltage sel codes and a few rave postion sensor codes, replaced stock reeds to tdr for the turbo, and two more o2 sensors, then raised thermocouple so o2 sensor sits up higher and so far all is working ok, bought a spare sensor for backup, and yes the tinfoil trick works well.... other than that sled has ran flawlessly boosted

jay

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What do you do with the tinfoil
Just wrap the sensor or wrap it and put back in can

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
12 etec 154x
no codes, no issues. It has just worked perfect so far 1000km

Last ride out the throttle side handgrip decided to get hotter than normal, really really hot and it hurt my hand to the point I had to stop:eek:. Melted the rubber grip and I have rubber all over the palm of my glove. Weird.
Will have to see if it is covered by warranty. I think it is.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last ride out the throttle side handgrip decided to get hotter than normal, really really hot and it hurt my hand to the point I had to stop:eek:. Melted the rubber grip and I have rubber all over the palm of my glove. Weird.
Will have to see if it is covered by warranty. I think it is.

Strange.... Can't see it being a problem Bert. Just gonna slip downtown for the fix. Bawhahahahahaa....;)

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya, later. Have some more km's to put on yet. Won't need heaters till next winter now. lol

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
ever find out what the problem was with the starter motor?? we just had one in our group do the same thing. Disconnected the batter and it still continued. Had to pull the battery for about 1min or better and it quit. But then it would start with the kill switch was on OR off.

Did anyone else have this issue with the starter motor continuing to spin? Happened to me yesterday. Shut the sled off to look at a totally untracked lake with about 14" of fresh on it; making a plan for a photo shoot. Heard this quiet continuous noise and I remembered the post; starter motor spinning.

Started the sled and shut it off again and the starter motor was back to normal. Is this a concern, problem, or not to worry?

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did anyone else have this issue with the starter motor continuing to spin? Happened to me yesterday. Shut the sled off to look at a totally untracked lake with about 14" of fresh on it; making a plan for a photo shoot. Heard this quiet continuous noise and I remembered the post; starter motor spinning.

Started the sled and shut it off again and the starter motor was back to normal. Is this a concern, problem, or not to worry?

Just mention that to Will when it is in the shop next time.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
The interesting concept with this problem; did the starter motor spin ever since the last start up? One wouldn't hear the starter motor spinning while the motor is running so in theory that little motor could spin for quite a while.

martincc

Reaction score
My 2011 freeride with 1350kms has developed a bit of a miss right when the raves should kick in..started about 300kms ago. I lived with it until I hit a tree and took out all the plastic north of the engine at which point I pulled the raves valves while the airbox was off.. they were dirty with lots of carbon. Cleaned, reinstalled but am still having the same issue. Seems to happen mostly at lower elevations... but has happened uptop a few times. If I go to WOT on the trail it will cut out and die around 7000rpm until I let off then give it a shot of gas again to recover. If I try to give it a few shots of gas at higher RPMs back to back it will often stumble like the raves are struck. Is this what people are refering to as the hesisitation? One day I had check engine lights all day long, but no limp mode. Got EPROMM come across as well. What does a bad O2 sensor do to the sled?

Dmf

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What do you do with the tinfoil
Just wrap the sensor or wrap it and put back in can

you unplug your sensor connector and put a piece of tinfoil in the connector and couple it back together. heat tape off the inside of your side panel works best : ) regular tinfoil burns out quickly

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The interesting concept with this problem; did the starter motor spin ever since the last start up? One wouldn't hear the starter motor spinning while the motor is running so in theory that little motor could spin for quite a while.

If the starter was engaged all the time you would see significant wear on the ring gear and bendix Doug.

My 2011 freeride with 1350kms has developed a bit of a miss right when the raves should kick in..started about 300kms ago. I lived with it until I hit a tree and took out all the plastic north of the engine at which point I pulled the raves valves while the airbox was off.. they were dirty with lots of carbon. Cleaned, reinstalled but am still having the same issue. Seems to happen mostly at lower elevations... but has happened uptop a few times. If I go to WOT on the trail it will cut out and die around 7000rpm until I let off then give it a shot of gas again to recover. If I try to give it a few shots of gas at higher RPMs back to back it will often stumble like the raves are struck. Is this what people are refering to as the hesisitation? One day I had check engine lights all day long, but no limp mode. Got EPROMM come across as well. What does a bad O2 sensor do to the sled?

Your dealer has a warranty flash for that problem.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
If the starter was engaged all the time you would see significant wear on the ring gear and bendix Doug.

Thanks for that. It was weird; it wasn't engaging. It was just spinning and humming. I'll get on the road this week and doo a few other important things that are nearly running out of time.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

man I have called twice to Bow Cycle SOUTH in calgary as per this recomandation and I keep getting told NO update for 2012 Freeride? I have the same blip every once and a while not bad but there..... 1000kms now maybe 2 more rides left this year it would have been nice to do this 4 weeks ago

otherwise sled is spot on pulls hard, runs great, key is fine, original belt , I adjusted belt deflection and went to clicker 3 and tightened chain otherwise just gas and go

For Sale 2012 FREERIDE 154 I got a new XM coming $13800 1000kms MBRP can, skid plate 3 year warranty

martincc

Reaction score
mine just started this a few rides ago.. has ~1300kms now started maybe at ~1100kms. Could that still be computer related? Ran flawless before. I'll maybe pull the reeds and take a look. Its more than a hesistation, it will flat out die when it hits the higher rpms sometimes. Need to get it in somewhere for the piston update as well.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well my season is officially over, even going to take the deck off the truck. Just shy of 1300 miles on the '12. New employment commitments is going to end my spring riding early. It ended well though, past two weekends were great.

So, all in all, I would consider my 2012 X still the best out of the crate sled I have rode. I was going to do the clutching but lived with its shortcommings all season and still don't have a lot of complaints about it.

WOT this sled shines with a full SLP setup. I have had some long pulls on this sled that a ptek would have likely popped soon after. The injection is great.

A one point I had the voltage issue which was traced to the headlight hi/low beam switch early on and never had one hicup after that. Ran the original belt, pulled one cord a few weeks back, still no issues.

There are some small upgrades planned for it over the summer, a 2013 snowflap, some airframe boards, hard to say what I am going to do about the rails yet as the 2012 profile isn't as good as aftermarket options.

To those of you I rode with this winter, it was great, to those of you I still haven't had a chance to ride with yet there is always next winter! enjoy!

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
man I have called twice to Bow Cycle SOUTH in calgary as per this recomandation and I keep getting told NO update for 2012 Freeride? I have the same blip every once and a while not bad but there..... 1000kms now maybe 2 more rides left this year it would have been nice to do this 4 weeks ago

otherwise sled is spot on pulls hard, runs great, key is fine, original belt , I adjusted belt deflection and went to clicker 3 and tightened chain otherwise just gas and go

For Sale 2012 FREERIDE 154 I got a new XM coming $13800 1000kms MBRP can, skid plate 3 year warranty

Last year there was a flash for the hesitation problem alot of the 2011's had. This year to date there are 2 flash's available. One for the voltage issue that was mostly an inconvienance for pull start ETEC's and there was recently another released for hesitation/stumbles below 4000 ft for Summit ETEC's. We have seen some sleds with starter solenoid problems causing the same problem Ferniesnow is experiencing but at this time they are pretty isolated. Normal warranty applies on affected units.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
........... We have seen some sleds with starter solenoid problems causing the same problem Ferniesnow is experiencing but at this time they are pretty isolated. Normal warranty applies on affected units.

Got my beast done today (starter motor spinning after the machine is shut off) and it was a faulty relay. Less than a 10 minute fix and under warranty. Thanks to Mr.R's for awesome service.

Top Bottom