2011 M8 Thumb & Hand Warmer Issues

Doof

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has any idea what is wrong with my sled here. The thumb warmer only works on low setting. When you turn the hand warmers on high, only the right hand side heats up. When you put it on low, only the left side heats up, they have never both worked at the same time. It sucks for those colder days in the winter.

I've taken it in on warranty twice now, first time they just replaced the switches on the handlebars. They didn't even bother testing them before giving it back to me and sure enough the same thing happened lol. Took it back a couple weeks later and they tried replacing the elements. Still sitting here with the same problem, and the sled is no longer on warranty and neither Arctic Cat or my dealer will cover the costs of fixing it anymore even though it was never fixed in the first place under warranty.

Just wondering if anyone has any idea what the problem would be? Wiring? ECU? Also, the little indicators on the gauges showing you're using the elements has never worked either.

scrfce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure what ur exact issue is but one issue u have is ur dealer blows, should be covered. Kick up a stink, never was fixed so fix the fn thing, try the squeaky wheel approach

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has any idea what is wrong with my sled here. The thumb warmer only works on low setting. When you turn the hand warmers on high, only the right hand side heats up. When you put it on low, only the left side heats up, they have never both worked at the same time. It sucks for those colder days in the winter.

I've taken it in on warranty twice now, first time they just replaced the switches on the handlebars. They didn't even bother testing them before giving it back to me and sure enough the same thing happened lol. Took it back a couple weeks later and they tried replacing the elements. Still sitting here with the same problem, and the sled is no longer on warranty and neither Arctic Cat or my dealer will cover the costs of fixing it anymore even though it was never fixed in the first place under warranty.

Just wondering if anyone has any idea what the problem would be? Wiring? ECU? Also, the little indicators on the gauges showing you're using the elements has never worked either.

X2 on what scrfce said, your dealer is a tool and it was on record before warranty ran out so by rights they need to fix it. I would think its a resistor or something like that that needs to be replaced, or maybe a short in the wires. By nature the handwarmers are pretty simple pieces (and not expensive!), they plug into power and then are just a heating element basically, if your dealer can't figure this simple system out then I'm not sure I'd trust them with a motor or other warranty items.

Sledzepplin

Reaction score
Might wanna pull handle grips off and c if one of those 3 sodder points are connected. Just a thought

Doof

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
X2 on what scrfce said, your dealer is a tool and it was on record before warranty ran out so by rights they need to fix it. I would think its a resistor or something like that that needs to be replaced, or maybe a short in the wires. By nature the handwarmers are pretty simple pieces (and not expensive!), they plug into power and then are just a heating element basically, if your dealer can't figure this simple system out then I'm not sure I'd trust them with a motor or other warranty items.
That's exactly what I thought, but the dealer won't touch it now without authorization from Cat (which I'm currently trying to get). The thing is, I bought this sled from a dealer in Drayton, which 4 months after I bought the machine, went out of business. Now here's the real kicker, I had purchased a 1-year extension of warranty from the dealer when I bought the sled. But when I bring this up with Arctic Cat, they're saying they only honor a standard 1 year warranty and anything beyond that is dealer specific, nothing Cat can do about it. Basically I got jipped of $400 for the extra warranty. Mind you, after my standard 1 year warranty ran out last year, they ended up replacing both my primary and secondary clutches after they blew up on consecutive mountain trips haha. I had to bother them quite a bit to get it done, but it happened. Maybe they're just getting tired of fixing my sled without me paying for it, I dunno? Lol. But anyways, I'm in contact with Cat over e-mail right now, and it's looking as though they will check out my sled one more time and ensure it gets fixed. This was after the fact that I told them I was going to switch brands to Ski-Doo. :cool:

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My hand and thumb warmers dont work on my 11 m8 either, usually dont bother me but the other day it was -25 and my poor hands got damn cold, I have the cat extended warranty so Ill just bring it in and get them to check it, they have kinda the same problem, only work on low setting not on high

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
My hand and thumb warmers dont work on my 11 m8 either, usually dont bother me but the other day it was -25 and my poor hands got damn cold, I have the cat extended warranty so Ill just bring it in and get them to check it, they have kinda the same problem, only work on low setting not on high

Iam having a problem with mine to

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Iam having a problem with mine to

open the switch boxes on the handlebars and make sure the elements are plugged in all the way, it does not take much to get them to pull off of their terminals.

Doof

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you get the issue fixed ?

No I haven't. Still arguing with Cat now and it doesn't seem like they'll cover it. Going to try what TylerG said the next time I see my sled and hope it works.

Top Bottom