2011 Etec running on one cyl

trailrider

Reaction score
I went out tonight to load my new etec into the trailer so I could take it home (working in saskatoon) and it will not stay running and when it does run it sounds like only fireing on one lung . Had to pull it into the trailer good thing the new trailer is a low boy. I played with the DESS and no difference, checked and both plug wires are on, do I piss around or just bring it back to Martens , only has 2.5 KM on it. ANY IDEAS Thanks Trailrider

trailrider

Reaction score
Thats what I was thinking ,just wandering what would cause this in case it happens again when we are out and about .

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Probably a bad spark plug. Had this happen to 2 of the 3 guys in my group that ran 2011 ETEC's last year.

trailrider

Reaction score
And its not throwing any dummy lights?

Nope no dummy lights . Now it will not start at all, I was just at Martin Motor Sport they said to try and chance the plugs and see if it will start or bring it in and they will do it .

trailrider

Reaction score
Read that these things run real crappy with a shorted tail light. I know its a long shot but I have read it on 2 occasions, any chance of that?

I will check that if I can get it started, just turned the heater on and will look at it after supper. Thanks

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will check that if I can get it started, just turned the heater on and will look at it after supper. Thanks

if its not something obvious, then leave it for the dealer. The plugs require indexing as well which is achieved through proper torque.

trailrider

Reaction score
if its not something obvious, then leave it for the dealer. The plugs require indexing as well which is achieved through proper torque.

Yes I talked to the service manager and he told me how the plugs were to be indexed, we used to index plugs on our quarter mile cars. The service manages biggest concern was that I did not cross thread the head because the plugs sit at an angle instead of strait in . But if it is not the plugs it will be at the dealership at 8:00 am tommorow.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got those plugs in yet Trailrider? I'm still sticking to my choice. Lol.

trailrider

Reaction score
Got those plugs in yet Trailrider? I'm still sticking to my choice. Lol.

Just got them in and it fired up first pull just like it is suppose to. I used the tool kit that came with the sled just to see if it was possible, they worked but there is now a stub handled 3\8" ratchet and a 5\8" deep socket in the tool kit in case it ever happens again. Now to bring the plugs back and get a new set of spares. Thanks for everyones 2cents.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got them in and it fired up first pull just like it is suppose to. I used the tool kit that came with the sled just to see if it was possible, they worked but there is now a stub handled 3\8" ratchet and a 5\8" deep socket in the tool kit in case it ever happens again. Now to bring the plugs back and get a new set of spares. Thanks for everyones 2cents.

Glad to hear that solved it. You have 3 year warranty on the plugs so no harm no foul.

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't piss with it, straight back to the dealer. If you fawk something up it's your fault and warranty not likely to happen.

I went out tonight to load my new etec into the trailer so I could take it home (working in saskatoon) and it will not stay running and when it does run it sounds like only fireing on one lung . Had to pull it into the trailer good thing the new trailer is a low boy. I played with the DESS and no difference, checked and both plug wires are on, do I piss around or just bring it back to Martens , only has 2.5 KM on it. ANY IDEAS Thanks Trailrider

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear that solved it. You have 3 year warranty on the plugs so no harm no foul.

which is funny as there is a service bulletin out apparently that says to change the plugs each year now. So do we get free plugs every year as there is a 3 year warranty on them?

Snopro do you have access to those? just curious.

trailrider

Reaction score
Well I took the fauled plugs back to Martins and asked about the warranty issue. They gave me new plugs and wrote up a work order stateing that customer did an aproved plug change so hopefully there will not be any issues.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
which is funny as there is a service bulletin out apparently that says to change the plugs each year now. So do we get free plugs every year as there is a 3 year warranty on them?

I'll check on Bossweb to see. Could be free plugs for the rest of your life if thats the case. Lol.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Can't find a service bulletin for 2011 or 2012. Have you seen this bulletin TTB?

Top Bottom