2010 M8 Primary Spring

DDrake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guy I am thinkin of changing the spring in my primary from the stock spring to an orange/black spring to lower engagement rpm a little to soften the hit a little and hopefully make it easier to putt around at slow speed. Has anyone done this and were you happy with the results? TIA for any feedback
Derek

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd like to know too. The only complaint I have about my M8 is the way the clutch engages.

Xfmontana

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did last year and liked it, really nice for loading and unloading

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DDrake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did last year and liked it, really nice for loading and unloading

That is good to know since I have never been known to be the most patient person and changed the spring without waiting for feedback. lol
Thank you for the reply Derek

DDrake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd like to know too. The only complaint I have about my M8 is the way the clutch engages.

Hey moyiesledhead I put the orange/black spring in my primary today and while the clutch still doesn't engage at as low an rpm as I had hoped it does help a little and is definitely easier to putt around slowly than before. Much smoother than before I think although I only had a short ride.

catsass

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What is your belt to shelve clearance measurement. To much clearance will give you a high and hard engagement

apex88

Reaction score
Try the Dalton white/green, engages at about 3500-3600 rpm, nice and smooth engagement. Same finish rate as the Cat yellow/white so you don't have to use different weights.

DDrake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Try the Dalton white/green, engages at about 3500-3600 rpm, nice and smooth engagement. Same finish rate as the Cat yellow/white so you don't have to use different weights.

Thanks. Will check it out for sure.

DDrake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What is your belt to shelve clearance measurement. To much clearance will give you a high and hard engagement

How does a fella check that? And how do u adjust it ?

DDrake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the reply's guys. I now have had a full day ride on the orange/black primary spring. It didn't lower the engagement rpm as much as I had hoped but it is noticeably easier to put around at lower speeds than with the stock spring. I may try the Dalton green\white spring later on to see I I like it better. Again thanks for all the reply's. Much appreciated..
Derek

Xfmontana

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine is the arctic cat gold ( actually black with gold stripe ) it engages at 3200

DDrake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine is the arctic cat gold ( actually black with gold stripe ) it engages at 3200

He xf did you have to change weights or anything else with this spring?

Xfmontana

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had the weights changed for 6000' the year before, so no. Best 30$ I've spent on sled

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just put the white/green Dalton on mine. Now that's what I've been looking for! Like riding a different sled. Wish somebody had told me last year. :thumb:

Uptown

Reaction score
i played with a couple springs, found the stock yellow white to be the most consistant. just put a new primary on and it has smooth engagement. i was chasing worn rollers in the primary! that dalton spring sounds good, might try it. oh also i tried a shift assist but lost rpm, so went back to stock and voila its good

mtacres

Reaction score
My wife has a 2011 M8 Ltd. Rough engagement also. Has anyone tried removing the o-rings from the weight pins to allow them to flip free like the polaris setup. Near as I can tell, basically the same clutch except for the setscrew and o-rings on the weights.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My wife has a 2011 M8 Ltd. Rough engagement also. Has anyone tried removing the o-rings from the weight pins to allow them to flip free like the polaris setup. Near as I can tell, basically the same clutch except for the setscrew and o-rings on the weights.

have you just tried cleaning the clutches? Sometimes the bushings get worn and bind a little, or they get full of dust and hang up a little bit. Don't spend $$ on parts if you don't have to

mtacres

Reaction score
Yeah, it's nice and clean. I'm gonna put a gold spring in and go from there. My dealer in Vegreville says he's put lots in with good results.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom