2009 assault vs 2008 xp

tasco

Reaction score
I've got a choice to make. I can buy both sleds for the same money so that is not the issue. What's the better machine. The assault has 300 miles on it whith all the updates and flashes plus a can, and the xp has 600 miles on it not much for extras forgot to check under the hood. There is to many biased opinions out there. I am leaning towards the assault because to me it is more of an alll around machine 146 track wider ski stance for trails but still nimble enough for playing I am not a hill climber and like to tour

Any thoughts

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From what I've heard from owners, and people on this site, the dragon of that year is horribly plagued with problems. And the 08 xp had horrible belt issues, but was fixed after the update some what. The doo looks like it works a lot better than the poo in the mountains. IMO buy the doo.

assaultn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Decisions, decisions..... I ride an assault and have had quite a bit of seat time on my buddies 08 xp 146 and they are two very different animals. Hands down that xp is much better in the steep and deep. As for trail and ditch bangin the assault is 100% better. All the things that make the assault better for spring riding and flat landing make it a little harder to throw around in the pow(wider ski stance, extremely stiff suspension and competition track) That being said you will go anywhere the xp will in the hills, it will just be a little more work. I bought this sled not taking that into account and if you are looking for a strictly good boondocking sled it is not the right one, but if you are looking to bounce off doubles and charge through woops you can't beat it. As for the typical problems between the two with the update on the clutch and vents the xp seems to be fine and a programmer on the CFI 800 you should be alright. (or just put a turbo):) Just my two cents. Good luck

PS, if you buy the assault, throw the track in the garbage. I put a camo extreme 2.5 and may have been a better mod than the turbo.

css

Reaction score
I have a o9 assault and love it, true it will not climb or go through the snow as good as the xp but imo it is a better handling sled, it rocks on the trail even with the lack of the sway bar, The assault is meant to be ridden hard and is in its prime while jumping,drops etc. as for realiability i have 1200 miles on mine with no issues and just added a power comander so hopefully the reliability will continue. I give the assault a 9/10 for fun factor. hope this helps

tasco

Reaction score
Well here is what I did. I really like the color red, and then I came across this 2008 dragon mint shape, on it's 3rd engine, slp pipe and can, electric start, 155 track, ect. In fact I believe it was also advertised on snow and mud.

Any ways I thought it looked real good and clean.

I think that from what I have read, this sled will put a real smile on my face. I hope that this sled will be as reliable as my 1999 700 Rmk., but way more fun to ride. Hopefully Polaris got their stuff together with the new engine.

Planning a trip to Fernie near the end of the week either Thursday or Friday. Depends on who can come with me.

Top Bottom