2007 Summit X electrical issue

zed899

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, hoping someone might have an idea for me as the tech at my dealer "couldn't replicate the problem" of course...

So the sled is a 07 summit X 800r 159" with a newer short block engine. I never had any issues till the end of last year. Was out in low snow conditions and as I was riding, didn't matter the speed (generally on a trail), the sled would all of a sudden start to die, the gauge would flick off and back on like it was just started, the headlight would shut off or flicker as it was dying. Sometimes it will die completely, other times it will come back to life and continue on. Every time it happens the gauge shuts off and stays off or comes back on along with the headlight. Last time it happened, I had the sled idling in the alley with the headlight on the gate while I shoveled it out to get it open, maybe 10 minutes max, it was -20ish. I definitely think it has something to do with getting too hot or is this a safety so it doesn't overheat?

Any ideas what could cause this? I'm thinking the tech couldn't replicate it because they just take it out for a quick rip and it never gets really hot. Thanks in advance!

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sounds like that relay just above the airbox. tap it sometimes it get weak or sticks.

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not a good pic but the relay is hanging in the top right of the pic. theres two in mine because i put the intermittent one with the new one.

2014-05-06 20.46.09.jpg

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
I would also say the relay. Common problem on these sleds.
They are cheap at NAPA. Just cant remember the cross referance number.
I replaced the one in my daughters sled at beginning of season for same symptoms.
Easy fix for alot big issues it causes.

zed899

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow guys! thanks alot for the quick response. I had thought something along those lines as well being that its electrical related and all, I just didn't know where to find them. Since they are cheap and easy ill try it out and report back.

Would they stop working/stick when they get hot? To me it should get looser, you know like your muscles in a hot tub lol.

Thanks again!

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its just a relay with contacts. They can stick, corrode or just wear out. Buy 2 if you plan on keeping the sled for awhile tie wrap one to the other. I had 2 fail in 3 seasons

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Top Bottom