2005 900 Rmk

tasco

Reaction score
Some one wants to sell me this sled, " 2005 900 RMK " take mine on partial trade. I want to know if this is generaly a good sled. It's a very tempting offer. The machine is in A1 condition 161 track. only mod is a can 2200 miles.

I just want to know if this is a good polaris model, how well does it ride and manuver. is the engine reliable.

What generaly goes wrong with these sleds

The guy that wants to move it rode with us at Silent pass. He rode it very well and made it look very nible and easy to ride, but he packed in 4 gallons of gas, where as my 1999 700 RMK did'nt need any extra, still had 1/4 tank left after 71 miles.

GRD

Reaction score
A 161 track, do you mean 166? Lots of power, good for deep snow! What are you going to use it for? My father has a 166 2006 900 RMK, I would buy his in a heart beat if he were to sell it...

Some one wants to sell me this sled, " 2005 900 RMK " take mine on partial trade. I want to know if this is generaly a good sled. It's a very tempting offer. The machine is in A1 condition 161 track. only mod is a can 2200 miles.

I just want to know if this is a good polaris model, how well does it ride and manuver. is the engine reliable.

The guy that wants to move it rode with us at Silent pass. He rode it very well and made it look very nible and easy to ride, but he packed in 4 gallons of gas, where as my 1999 700 RMK did'nt need any extra, still had 1/4 tank left after 71 miles.

BIGFOOT

Reaction score

To respond to your questions... Yes the 900 RMK IQ is a good model, They ride & handle very well, Some find them somewhat heavy. Reliability of the engine.... I don't know cause Polaris only put the 900 out for 2 yrs. I have a 06 900 with not problems so far. As for the fuel consumption.... That depends on a lot of variables which I am sure you know. :)

slabm7

Reaction score
I actually just bought a used 05 RMK 900 with 2300 miles on it, I've only ridden it about 100 miles so far but it seems to be good. Endless amount of torque, just the slightest blip on the throttle and it wants to go.

I would find out if it has had the 06 updates done to it, there was alot of recalls on these machines but if all of them were done then it should be ok.

These sleds need a different intake, SLP is a poplular one, also if it has the radiator get rid of it and get some scratchers. The 900 seem to be a hit and miss engine. Either they blew up alot or had no problems at all. Some of them do have crank issues due to the motor mounts being weak in the 05's and the engine twisting under heavy loads but the motor mounts can be replaced with better ones. They also like oil but I've heard its because the oil pump sticks on and this can cause a bog and make it eat spark plugs.

As for performance and handling it climbs very good for a stock machine and is very easy to maneuver in the snow for a heavy machine. I've never ridden a smoother machine on trails, you don't feel any bumps and it rides like a Cadillac. And it does like fuel and the storage sucks on it. Go over to Snowest Forums, lots of info over there on these sleds. How much does he want for it? Just for a reference I got mine for $4500 US. Great sled for the price.

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
Endless amount of torque, just the slightest blip on the throttle and it wants to go

These sleds need a different intake, SLP is a poplular one

As for performance and handling it climbs very good for a stock machine and is very easy to maneuver in the snow for a heavy machine. I've never ridden a smoother machine on trails, you don't feel any bumps and it rides like a Cadillac.

Yup.... It's got loads of torque. It will eat up my 02 800 156" (sold to my brother) in the climb... Big time !
I put a Fire n ice air box on... I am very happpy with that.
Yes also very smooth on the trail. I don't think I have any problem maneuvering that big horse in the snow... Heard lots say it is to heavy, I don't ... I find it easier than the 02 VE.
It doesnot take much to tweek them into a real torque monster..... So far all has been good, We'll see how it goes !

tasco

Reaction score
$4500 US. hmmm.... he wants mine plus about $2000 to boot. I don't know if all the updates are done, but I'm sure they are, will have to ckeck on that. At the same time my 1999 RMK 700, with a racers edge tunnel and 151" track, chromoly front end, tilt highrise bar extenstions, and a bunch of other stuff done to it runns like a top never misses a beat, climbs, handles and goes anywhere I want it to, and always seems to start on the first or second pull. I don't know if I want to get rid of it, it's in new condition.

But the new stuff looks mean and cool, and whats a couple of thousand bucks if you can upgrade and get rid of your old machine at the same time.

pic is of my current ride

Attachments

• Picture 057.jpg
    Picture 057.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 286

GRD

Reaction score
$4500 US. hmmm.... he wants mine plus about $2000 to boot. I don't know if all the updates are done, but I'm sure they are, will have to ckeck on that. At the same time my 1999 RMK 700, with a racers edge tunnel and 151" track, chromoly front end, tilt highrise bar extenstions, and a bunch of other stuff done to it runns like a top never misses a beat, climbs, handles and goes anywhere I want it to, and always seems to start on the first or second pull. I don't know if I want to get rid of it, it's in new condition.

But the new stuff looks mean and cool, and whats a couple of thousand bucks if you can upgrade and get rid of your old machine at the same time.

pic is of my current ride

Why does he want to trade??

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've had minimal problems with my 05 900. This is the 2nd season on the same belt. They are a little heavier when you're not on the throttle but in deep snow I ride with a big smile. I put 07 skis and 08 spindles on mine and it handles a lot better on the trails. With my stock spindles and skis it would really push through corners. As far as the fuel consumption goes, I ride with a 2000 800 polaris, an 03 800 summit and an 01 summit 800 and I use pretty close to the same as them. I do use more oil than they do. Take the 900 for a ride and see if you're really put off by the vibration. Lots of people complain about vibration but I don't think it's that bad. I would recomment removing the front rad for the weight loss and better running temps. Check the motor mounts and the chain case cover for warping.

As for the price... what is your sled realistically worth? Even though you have some nice aftermarket parts it's still an older model. That being said I do think sleds in good condition hold some fair value. As a trade you need to decide if you're willing to let yours go and be happy with the 900. I bought my sled for 6500 cdn in 2006 and people are asking 7000 and up for the same sleds this year. It's completely different in the states. So many people believe this sled is a dud that they can't get much for them. You can always try to dicker on the cash difference.

My minimal problems have been a coolant hose burnt on the y-pipe (new hose and heat tape to fix), and one plug fouled (dropped a new one in one the hill and off I went)

GRD

Reaction score
They're heavy and they vibrate lots.

No more vibration than any other sled..... I have an 800 rmk 151, and find the 900 rmk 166, an easeir sled to ride.... It has way more power, and will climb like crazy...

If you like the bunny hill, that 98 700 136 track is perfect for ya!:D:D

Last edited:

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No more vibration than any other sled..... I have an 800 rmk 151, and find the 900 rmk 166, an easeir sled to ride.... It has way more power, and will climb like crazy...

If you like the bunny hill, that 98 700 136 track is perfect for ya!:D:D

Haha, funny you say that, ask Rocky Mountain Kamakazi about his 900 rmk experience.

The bunny hill's not for me, just remember im 75-100 lbs lighter than you!

Top Bottom