2004 rev 800 summit electrical problems

Irocaz

Reaction score
2004 skidoo summit 800HO carb Manual pull start

I'm having electrical problems, no dash, head/ tail lights, hand warmers. the sled starts and runs good, we actually rode for the day like this. typically this is the results of a bad relay. I have spent 5hours on this now and cannot figure it out!

The relay tested good, fuses good, all wiring checked and retaped, dielectrical greased all connections, voltage regulator checked good with a multimeter.

Now the relay connection pin 87 when running has 15.5 Volts. If I trip pins 87 and 30 all of the electrical comes on and works, with the electrical load on the sled its drops to 12.8Volts. There is no power coming from the Orange/ White wire relay pin 85 that comes from the MPEM. wire tests good to the MPEM.

has anyone experienced this or have any ideas? Im hoping I don't have to replace the MPEM Box

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Are the instrument cluster connections on tight? Did you check all the pin connectors on the instrument connectors and make sure none of them are bent over or damaged ??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Irocaz

Reaction score
Its Fixed!! wrong kind of relay I guess....

The sled sat for over month and when we went to start it up Saturday, all electrical was dead. so automatically I just replaced the relay with a brand new spare one I just bought a couple weeks ago. following the skidoo manual the original relay is broken and the new one works fine. I hooked a battery to operate the relay it and got power through the other pins.

I read in a 14 page long thread about relays on dootalk and someone mentioned they had problems with a certain type/ brand of relay so I popped the one out of my other sled and it works!

Im still curious as to what the voltage should be at the orange/ white wire. It would explain If the new relay I got requires a higher voltage to close. im guessing the circuit is grounded back to the MPEM? since I was unable to get anything off of it(grounded to chassis)

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run 2x 06 rt1000. my old girl is pull start only but has a small battery. randomly(usually a back bowl) when I go to start her, nothing. no lights, nothing at all. it has 3 relays, I swap them all around and she is fine.
Randy Baun at motorteck in golden told me about this when I bought it and thats the way she rolls. he thinks one of the relays is in the wrong position at shut down(either open or closed) and can't perform start up.
regardless of any snow&mud p!ssin match that is wot she does and how to fix the problem.
I'd like you to test this theory by you putting that relay in another machine and letting me know. different machine and all, but ...

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
I replaced my 3 relays with Napa relays in my old 1000rt every 2 years and never had a problem... They're cheap insurance for reliability.... Also changed out the battery every 2 years.... Had it for 8 years and never a starting issue

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom