2003 Summit 800 - grease on underside of clutch cover

schiermnultra

Reaction score
I was just looking at my brothers 03 summit 800 and noticed there is grease plastered all over the underside of his clutch cover. where is it coming from? crank bearing? sled is still running fine.

synergycycle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was just looking at my brothers 03 summit 800 and noticed there is grease plastered all over the underside of his clutch cover. where is it coming from? crank bearing? sled is still running fine.

its not grease, its belt dust thats caked on. should come off easy with break clean.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
check the rear of clutch and seal on crank, if it is greasy, pull the clutch and inspect seal. do not run until you check it as doos use iso grease in the crank bearings, and if it leaks you will lose the clutch side of motor. it may only be minor but why take a chance, will take 15 minutes to check.

pete gads

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your seal is gone and if you run it you will wreck you piston on clutch side. 04 came out with a cover over the seal. Some times if you blow a belt that would take out that seal

Doo800ho

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it's the seal. it happened to me on my 03 800ho. except mine went while we were riding up at valemont.

06 Dragon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you have to tear down the engine to repalce the seal, or can you just remove the primary and replace it?

Sleeper700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How can you physically tell that a seal needs replacement? On my 08, the PTO crank seal looks fine when I cleaned it up after the outer PTO bearing grenaded.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Pull the primary clutch and replace the seal and get iso grease to repack the bearing behind the seal...... I got my seal and iso grease from specialty sleds(was much cheaper than martin equipment)...... Easy job, and good preventive maintenance. If the seal leaks, then air will be getting in past the seal too, and this will cause a serious lean condition(sled will seem to have good power) for a short period of time, then you'll loose the pto side piston.............

Sleeper700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
but is there any way to look at it and say "this seal is done because of ________"

Reaction score
Is there a way to replace seal pto side on 2003 800 ho without splitting motor.

I had the crank done last fall rode strong all winter,noticed grease this fall when i was working on it.

The engine rebuilder said it was normal not to worry,lol.

mbernes

Reaction score
I agree with previous comments, you should pull the primary clutch and inspect the crank seal. When your crank was done in the fall did the engine guy use OEM or aftermarket seals? I had a very similar problem on my 2002 Summit 800, once the primary was removed there was obvious damage to the seal and visible isoflex grease.

In my case I am guessing the previous owner tried to patch-up or replace the seal with out splitting the case (it actually held for a season of use before I spotted it due to isofex on clutch cover). I read in a few forums it was possible to split the bottom end, repack the bearing, and replace the seal without tearing it all down but i opted to open it all up. Turned out it was a good thing, found the mag side seal was leaking a bit as well.

Here are pics of the pto side seal before and after repair, the black stuff is some sort of caulking that had been applied as a patch. Before cleanup (sorry no pic) the entire pto seal was covered in isoflex grease.

Before:
IMG_00000246.jpg

After:

Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_00000415.jpg
    IMG_00000415.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wow. first pic is very special. lol
do it right the first time and will look like second pic.

mbernes

Reaction score
wow. first pic is very special. lol
do it right the first time and will look like second pic.

It sure is... you can't tell to much from the pic but the seal wasn't even flush with the case, one side is pushed in to far and the other sticking out a little.

Anyways let us know how it works out with your 03 800.

Top Bottom