2 wheels vs 4 wheels

johndeereman346

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey all time for a new toy and I'm trying to decide betwen a Crf 450r or trx450r or ltz400 I know both are completely different riding styles but I want to know your guys opinion on each. Like where you can and can't go advantages and disadvantages

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Friend has a crf 450 bike and it is insane in my opinion... I mean I haven't rode a lot of bikes but in the bush I could easily handle a 125 or 250, the450 bike was a little excessive, even my dirtbiking buddies admitted that..tried a Trx 450r in the bush and really liked it! Very fun and sporty. Guess it all depends what u want to do. Quad is a lot more multi purpose ;)

give_it_all_

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You should tell us what type of trails you are riding.
I haven't ridden any of these, but from what I've heard the TRX450 isn't good on trails that have rocks because it is a race quad. It is meant to go fast and won't perform very well going slow. The LTZ400 supposedly is similar to the 450 as it has a tall first gear so it too is meant to go fast. If you want something great for trail riding but still want a sporty bike, go for a TRX400.

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey all time for a new toy and I'm trying to decide betwen a Crf 450r or trx450r or ltz400 I know both are completely different riding styles but I want to know your guys opinion on each. Like where you can and can't go advantages and disadvantages

i had a kx 250 and still have a predator......i sold the bike because there was no real places to ride other than trails but most trails have some muddy parts to them so i kept the quad. and i can jump on the quad the odd time and be able to ripp it up where if i road my bike once a month or so i felt uneasy compared to when i use to ride it every weekend.

i also am finding that my sport quad is getting useless seeing my friends all have 4x4 quads for mudding. I think i would rather have a 4x4 quad and a bike.

another big issue is what do your friends have? if they all ride bikes, well the bike. if they have sport quads then get a quad... if your looking into trail riding with roots and rocks and such i would look into a polaris outlaw irs, i talked my dad into getting one and he loves it.....i love it, its so smooth compared to my predator and they are fairly powerful even the 500 and ive never had a issue yet with my 03 500.

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
depends what best suits your needs I would love a dirt bike but for me it is a quad. better for hauling things, fishing or just touring around. Also depends on your age if i was early 20`s it would be a dirt bike.

EMANAARON

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have rode My Buddys Dirtbikes quite a bit My one Buddy has a Yz250 and it is too crazy especially on any rough terrain. It would just hit Powerband and wheelie out of control.

Other Buddy has a 2005 CRF450 bike It has unbeleiveable power But it is more Controllable then the yz250. Hard to get these bikes stuck in skeg .

Other Friend has a LTZ400 It has nice Power Fairly quick but it doesnt handle all that well and doesnt have the power where and when you want it.

I have never rode a TRX450 but i have raced them on my yfz450 quad. And the yfz will out perform them anyday. I find that the yfz handles unbeleiveable and it even doesn not to bad in the mud you just need to know how too use the clutch and the power. I would take this quad over any 4x4 for ride quality. Its just so smooth just Rip like 75 through the whoops like nothing. and you can take almost any trail and just fly down it and if the corner starts to get a little sharp you just punch it and whip it out a little more and you will power through.

Its all in the ride style but i would reccomend a 450Dirtbike or a 450Race quad not Less.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with all of the above. I have had a lots of 4x4's, a few sport quads, and a couple dirt bikes. For me, the dirt bike would be the last thing I would buy again. There is no relaxing while you ride. You have to be on the ball at all times. A sport quad isn't a whole lot different. I have a 2007 Outlaw 500 with independant rear suspension. I have rode quite a few other sport quads, and trust me, if you are going to buy one, get the Outlaw. After a day on the trails, your body will appreciate the IRS, plus it has at least 4" more ground clearance than the solid axle quads. It really does depend on the terrain you plan on riding in. Maybe you should look at a Scrambler 500 4x4. I had a couple of those also, they are a great crossover machine. No low range, but they are still kinda sporty, and lots of fun to ride.

Waxy

Reaction score
Ask yourself whether it's the challenge and enjoyment of riding itself that most interests you, along with the ability to get to places most people can't go, or whether you're just out there to cruise around on limited trails and play in the mud.

If it's the first, then get a dirtbike hands down. There are so many more miles of single track trails out there in the riding areas that are only accessible on a dirtbike, and they are the best trails out there. Riding a dirtbike is a far more rewarding experience that a quad IMHO, although the sport quads are a step above the typical ones.

If it's your first bike, don't go straight to the 450s, start off on something in the 200 to 400 range and work up as your skills improve. It has nothing to do with "manliness" or ego, just the practicality of learning the ropes and the weight/power of the machine. Most of the negative responses above are from posters who got in way over their heads with too much bike as their first experience and it turned them off of dirtbikes because they didn't have the skills to handle those bikes.

Waxy

mavrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
after a few years quadding just got back into dirtbikes got a XR650R,the way I see it for trail riding a dirtbike is a blast if u like hill climbs the dirtbike rules as well,the mud and sheg while a bike isrobaly not as good but I dont ride that and seeing how u have a 4x4 thats where it can be used,as far as a CRF450 rode them before and find the CRF450X more suited for trail riding as that what it was made for,I have not riding the spor quads you ask about but I know for me glad I went back to bikes

johndeereman346

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks fo the input so far guys. ive been riding 4x4 quads and trikes since i was 5 and honestly ive gotten bored just cruising on the trails with my foreman, i want a challenge. Half my buddies ride a 4x4 and the other half ride sport quads so its a 50/50 split. ill never get rid of my foreman as i love to go out and get buried up to the seat once in awhile. i have considered the ktm 525 with irs or the new honda 700 but too much $$$. Id be all over the crf 250 but not going to lie im 21 and 6' 200lb plus a pack and gear so its not the lightes load hauling my fat azz around. Quoting ricky bobby "i wanna go fast" haha

mavrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am 220lbs before my gear and had a crf250x before the XR650R and it hauled me around no problem even keep ahead of the 250 smokers that was funny as they were all talking smack till I kicked there.....:d anyway a crf250 is a nice bike easy to toss around and will go everywhere a sport quad will and a few more spots

johndeereman346

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am 220lbs before my gear and had a crf250x before the XR650R and it hauled me around no problem even keep ahead of the 250 smokers that was funny as they were all talking smack till I kicked there.....:d anyway a crf250 is a nice bike easy to toss around and will go everywhere a sport quad will and a few more spots

really now that could just about make my mind up

give_it_all_

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What...............need to go back to work now so i can go down and buy 4 and sell 3 of em to buddys

There's a guy in my town doing it, but they are non current...so no 2010's but I'd rather pay less than say I have a 2010. He's selling them for $5900. I'm actually thinking of getting one from him.

mavrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you are looking at a crf250 and would by the X has the off road lights electirc start it nice to have adds a little bit of weight with the battery but if your not racing MX then the 10lbs shouldnt make a diff I wish the 650 had e-start my leg hurts some days but the power is worth the pain:d

ICANAM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ride a Cr250r and a Can am outy 800. They both haul ass and are a blast to ride, but I still want a sport quad. If you do decide to buy a sport quad, I recomend getting something that is at least a 500cc. It could be just me(but I highly doubt it) but, I can always use more power...

If you decide to go with the bike, I don't think you'll be dissapointed. I love this 250, but I would definetly enjoy a 450 4 stroke! Good luck and let us know what you decide!!:beer:

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just another opinion, get a 4 stroke fuel injected bike if that's what ur leaning towards. Also make sure it has a kick stand or by one to put on. I know they look gay but are nice to have... Nothing worse than one of my buddies leaning there bikes on my quad rack after they have been roosting in my face all day and now want to take a dump and not lay there bike down and no trees around. Also as mentioned e star
rt and a headlight of some kind. The x model from Honda has this. Unless ur racing these are all nice features to have on a high performance bike. Best thing u can do is try a 250 and 450 and see what u like....!

johndeereman346

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think I might see if I can pick up a used crf250x somewhere, between the us and the rigs being slow I showld be able to find something for a decent price and then if I don't like it I don't lose big on depreciation. But I think I'm going to hold out for a little and still get a sport quad eventually, maybe get a bike so I can still attempt to kill myself while I'm still young and heal quick

Top Bottom