1 Ton Duallys

new indyguy

Reaction score
Looking for some feedback at buying a 1 T c/c Dually 4x4 with 8' box. Will be buying a 9-10' truck camper (Arctic Fox or Eagle Cap) and also want to be able to pull the 21' Jetboat and possibly a small trailer for the SxS and/or quads. Not sure if a SRW longbox would be stable enough.
Im hoping to get more BC and northern AB jet boating trips in the next few years and will need a 4x4 at some of the boat launches and back country camping/quadding trips.
Looked at Kijiji and there arent very many good used deals out there. Just priced out a new Ford online and was surprised that I could build a truck with the new 7.3 gas for under $70k.
I currently have a 2500HD Duramax 4x4 C/C shortbox and have been pulling our 33' travel trailer for 12+ years. Kids are getting older and dont want to hang with mom and dad as much so the wife and I are thinking of really downsizing and going truck camper route - but my shortbox truck will not be enough truck for the heavier truck campers with a slide and the length. We are also getting tired of taking 2 vehicles pulling stuff all the time.
What are some do's and dont's as far as setting up the truck properly. I seen some home made extension hitches for pulling trailers - and they seem to work well. But I want more feedback.
Are they any trucks that should be shyed away from? (6.0L Powerstroke?) V10s?
Airbags vs Timbrens? Swaybars?
Maybe buy a used flatdeck dually? Seen some of these at some auctions.
Any other good advice?
Any members have a decent truck for sale in the next few months - we are not in a rush.
Thanx in advance for your feedback!!

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Avoid usual suspects like 6.0 Fords.....The newer F-350's SRW have a higher GVWR than my older F-350 DRW but I sure like the training wheels towing heavy..

When I had a 10' camper I had Torqlift towing extension and camper tie downs, it's good stuff.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I went searching for a used dually. I printed off the tow ratings, load ratings for Ford, Ram and Chev, with engine size, Crew cab and 8 foot box. I went from 2000 to 2020.
I was surprised at home much the tow rating and load capacity changed over the years.
Took me 8 months to figure out what I wanted.
Ended up with. 2017 Ram 3500 crew cab long box with 410 diff. Very happy with it.
Good luck. I tow a fifth wheel.
A dually would handle a truck camper sway.

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
think the 7.3 would be pretty thirsty with a camper, but the dually would be the way to go.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sped the extra $7k for a diesel, think resale.

I have a 2020 6.6 gas GM and it’s good but I would never order a dually as a gas job.

Last edited:

blubbles

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd go the diesel route as others have posted for resale. Its pretty hard to sell a dually truck with a gas engine, as the majority of people buying them want them for horse pullers or whatever.

I honestly dont think you will need too much in the way of suspension upgrades if you go the dually route. They handle the weight really well from what i've seen from my buddies, id be trying it before ordering them. But if you have to i've been really happy with my Timbrens, not as adjustable as bags, but I also dont worry about punching a hole in them in the middle of nowhere. Took a few tries back and forth with Timbren to get the right size for it to ride like I wanted, but its pretty solid now. A ton less body sway with my RZR on the rack in my truck.

That being said finding any used trucks is pretty much impossible, if something comes up you have to jump on it instantly otherwise they will end up stateside. Good Luck!

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My camper is a Westland 90W, weighs 2K empty and the old F250 with air bags loves it. Are you thinking a camper with slides? they add all the weight.... and bring the floor over the box rails usually making them tallll but the corner exit on an Artic Fox is nice and the steps are sturdy.

bradb

Reaction score
We have a AF990, Had it on a srw 8' box 3500 gmc when we bought it. Too heavy for srw, traded for a gmc dually, better, but still felt heavy for the truck.
Installed air bags to level truck a little. Biggest improvement was Helwig rear swaybar and homemade version of torquelift stable loads.
Those mods took all the top heavy, rocking side to side feel out of the truck.
I pull a 16" enclosed behind and it is very stable and rides 100% better than factory.
Those big campers are close to 5000 lbs loaded, plus tongue weight from trailer.
Dually is a must for them.
I have ordered a new Dually and i will set it up exactly the same as my 2016.

bradb

Reaction score
Looking for some feedback at buying a 1 T c/c Dually 4x4 with 8' box. Will be buying a 9-10' truck camper (Arctic Fox or Eagle Cap) and also want to be able to pull the 21' Jetboat and possibly a small trailer for the SxS and/or quads. Not sure if a SRW longbox would be stable enough.
Im hoping to get more BC and northern AB jet boating trips in the next few years and will need a 4x4 at some of the boat launches and back country camping/quadding trips.
Looked at Kijiji and there arent very many good used deals out there. Just priced out a new Ford online and was surprised that I could build a truck with the new 7.3 gas for under $70k.
I currently have a 2500HD Duramax 4x4 C/C shortbox and have been pulling our 33' travel trailer for 12+ years. Kids are getting older and dont want to hang with mom and dad as much so the wife and I are thinking of really downsizing and going truck camper route - but my shortbox truck will not be enough truck for the heavier truck campers with a slide and the length. We are also getting tired of taking 2 vehicles pulling stuff all the time.
What are some do's and dont's as far as setting up the truck properly. I seen some home made extension hitches for pulling trailers - and they seem to work well. But I want more feedback.
Any other good advice?
Any members have a decent truck for sale in the next few months - we are not in a rush.
We will be selling our 2016 chev dually in the next couple months. may look at selling Camper also.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had and Arctic Fox 992 and pulled my 20ft jet boat with my dually dodge and dually ford, and I have this to say. The camper was to heavy when fully loaded for a 1ton truck. I had to add airbags and run them at 85psi in my f-350 and I put the heavy super springs in my dodge 3500. I also upgraded the sway bar in the rear of my dodge. The Arctic fox camper needs to go in a 450 or 550 truck. Towing the boat really didn't change much other than a little slower climbing hills. To tow the boat I used one of those dual receiver hitches and 30" extension with support chains and shackles, it worked great.

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First things first, match the truck camper to the truck, COG is everything. Also if you are looking at an AF you better have a dually and 10ply tires to boot. AF are heavy but imo 1 of the best built for Canada EC are also nice so are Bigfoots depends on what you want. But match the TC to the truck first, many don't and wish they had. Also if adding air bags make sure each side has it's own supply so you can adjust properly as these units are heavy on different sides and separate supply allows for variations. I run Timbrens all around but have nowhere near that kind of weight but makes a big diff for sure. Also using an extension and pulling a trailer into BC you better have a dually with weight diffs and check on the extensions as well as they don't like those much but if your legal your legal. Watch with extensions as you can lose 50% of your GVCW. Just my 002:)

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would be buying a F 450 if your going to pack around the camper handle the weight better. Loved my f 450 when I had it

teamdirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive' got a nice unit im selling at end of season.

It's set-up perfectly.

2016 fully loaded Chevy High-country Dually. Airbags, torquelift quick draws, 20k supertruss. 30,000km
2017 Artic fox 1150 dry bath with slide out and satellite TV/internet

PM me if interested.

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any other good advice?
Here you go just bring your suitcase, located in Vanderhoof ,BC
Good day! Decided to list my ‘17 1150DB. Located in Vanderhoof BC, V0j3a0. I have two other rv’s, a toy hauler that’s much more friendly to haul my Harley. This setup was great, but I’m selling regardless.
160w solar
Transferable extended warranty
Agm batteries
Roll over lounge added
1” alum frame spacer, for taller Ford bed rails
Extendable shower curtain rod
RO filtration
Quick gunns, Torklift brackets, stabil loads (lower) and super truss thrown in if preferred.
Rear mounted camera
Stored indoors when not in use, heated and climate controlled shop. Has a roller frame on HD casters to move around the shop if needed, also included if preferred. Needs nothing, just a new home. I don’t have any social media on my phone, pls reply or PM if interested, I’ll be checking throughout the day as I get time.
$49,995obo Cdn, or $38,985 USD. Cheers!
1629511794049.png

1629511838328.png

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good day! Decided to list my ‘17 1150DB. Located in Vanderhoof BC, V0j3a0. I have two other rv’s, a toy hauler that’s much more friendly to haul my Harley. This setup was great, but I’m selling regardless.
160w solar
Agm batteries
Roll over lounge added
RO filtration
Quick gunns, Torklift brackets, stabil loads (lower) and super truss thrown in if preferred.
Rear mounted camera
Stored indoors when not in use, heated and climate controlled shop. Has a roller frame on HD casters to move around the shop if needed, also included if preferred. Needs nothing, just a new home. I don’t have any social media on my phone, pls reply or PM if interested, I’ll be checking throughout the day as I get time.
View attachment 241601
View attachment 241602
Looks like a good rig for 50g!

JayT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
160w solar
Agm batteries
Roll over lounge added
RO filtration
Rear mounted camera
View attachment 241601
View attachment 241602
I wasn't even looking and I'm tempted...seems like a steal

Top Bottom