08 M8 Advice on clutching etc.....

sheebansavage

Reaction score
Hello guys, Last year I bought a 08 M8 153 and its completely stock except for frog skins and a gage cage. After riding it for a season and a bit, its mod time. This year I added small items but nothing to do with performance of the machine. (2011 seat, inside axle kit, anti-stab kit, steering support)

For this next season I am adding a SLP pipe kit and a SLP intake. Pretty simple mods for increased power. Now I am down to the clutching. The sled has been set up with factory weights/springs for 6-9000 feet. Thats what the previous owner told me. I have never taken the clutches apart to verify. So, after I add the pipe kit and intake I should clutch the primary. I was debating on MDS adjustable weights or dalton adjustable weights. As for the secondary, I am going to leave it alone for the moment.

Now my questions begin:

1: In regards to clutching, do I need to clutch after the pipe install or will it work fine with stock clutching I have now (6000-9000 ft) and clutch later? Basically do I need to clutch after the pipe is on or can I ride to see what I have for RPM's

2: Do I need to mess with both the secondary and primary?.. Can I just add/subtract weight from the primary? (Maybe buy adjustable weights)

3: I am pulling around 78-7900 now so when I pipe it, will my rpm increase or decrease when add the pipe kit?

4: Is there anyone out there that runs a similar set up to mine and what have you done to make it run great...08 M8 stock (soon to be SLP pipe kit and intake),clutched for 6000-9000 ft by stock clutching methods from previous owner? I ride from 3500 to 8000 feet. I would like to know the clutch set up with the only mod being a SLP pipe kit and intake.

5: Is a shift assist worth installing?

I weigh approx 250 with gear on and my current rpm's are 78-7900. According to SLP's website they should be 8100. I would like to know what I have to do to achieve this RPM.

Thanks for all your help

Cheers

leadfoot33

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you can try mds weight i havetnnt tried them so cant comment on them, i can say daltons are nice and easy to change. i would put the pipe on and try it, i wouldnt buy the slp intake i didnt like it when it when i had it on my 07 and 06. pipe works great though. i would get a set of daltons set it what you have now put the pipe on and try it, of ocurse i would replace the primary spring just to start with a new one. i like the arctic cat gold spring as it makes it much nicer to idle around. but you lose some rpm, nothing that cant be fixed but thats what i liked. and yes around 8000-8150 is where you want to be pulls really hard up there. as for a shift assist its preference i have one in my 2010 and i personally think it hinders my backshift so it is getting removed and getting an rk tek clutch kit instead.

Top Bottom