07 XRS 800 typical electrical issues

burnt toast

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Ok i have the above sled in my garage and it has me stumped. The owner said he just bought it rode it for about half hour then just quit. It starts up after a while of sitting but quits shortly after like 5-15 sec. and is a bugger to even fire up but again just quits right away. These are the current issues..

1. Dim light from head lamps
2. No Tail light
3. Cluster is stuck at 4000 RPM and the electronic odometer is blank, the oil light flickers but that is the only light.

What i have checked..
Replaced the relay, No change to any of the symptoms
Replaced both 20 amp fuses no change
Checked stator OHMs it tested good, but i did not check out put voltage (If OHM's were good should i still check the output?)
I have disconnected hand warmers no change
Checked all connections and dialectic greased all of them

So that is where i am at, it has some mechanical issues as well flooding bad and PTO cylinder is low compression but before he does any of that id like to get this electrical issue cleared up. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes check ecm connection pins ect for corrosion, and relocate it above the oil tank ( harness is long enough as I have done it myself)

burnt toast

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did unplug the ecm and looked at it looked ok corrosion wise... It isn't relocated though. Unsure of the capacitor?

sledder325

Reaction score
You could bring it into a ski-doo dealership, and get them to plug it into the buds system and they can see the voltage if its proper.

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BUDS will not check voltage output from stator. Need to do the procedure in manual.

burnt toast

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok so I got it figured... Wasn't your typical issue after all. The heated visor plug that he had wired in shorted and melted the wiring harness. All good now. �� Thanks to everyone for the tips.

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
Ok so I got it figured... Wasn't your typical issue after all. The heated visor plug that he had wired in shorted and melted the wiring harness. All good now. �� Thanks to everyone for the tips.
Had to laugh my ass off when you said is was burnt wiring and then I re read your S and M name....BURNT TOAST!!!!
Bwhaaa!
The shop manual will help you in future.
Good to have.
We should have a spot for manuals on this site.

Top Bottom