07 Sportsman 800 XP Charging issue

bushboy

Reaction score
I bought this new in 08. In winter I cannot get the battery to stay charged. Using the plow (winch) drains a fully charged battery in 1 hr. No battery, no winch and...much to my surprise and annoyance...it quits running when its out of juice. This also happened to me once in the summer...had to walk home. Polaris dealer says that there is nothing wrong with the machine, but...Does anyone have any ideas?Is this normal for Polaris? Should I go to another dealer? I'm scared to go out anymore as I ride alone in remote areas. I never had a machine I couldn't limp home on before.

Kelzon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have 2008 Polaris Sportsman 800 4x4 efi. Have tender charger ( bought at dealer about $ 45.00) on the battery all winter. It will start any time, first touch. Don't plow, but no problems. There's got to be a problem some where. Some one on here should beable to help you. Good luck, with it.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With the quad running use a volt meter on the battery and see what you are getting for a dc voltage. should be above 13 volts. If its lower than that then you have a charging issue. reved up that thing should put out like 14+volts. If thats good i would look at replaceing you battery.

bushboy

Reaction score
OK I thought since I started thisthread I probably should finish it. Last week I figured to give my dealer one last kick at the...oh wait...diferent brand...

Anyway, they checked my service records and apparently my requests to diagnose and fix the charging issue had never actually made it onto a work order, so....after some words were spoken...I dropped off my 800 for one more try. Presto. Phone rings next day....I need a stator...as some on this board suggested to me. I get her back next week, hopefully with that issue put to bed. Now if only they could make the exhaust heat cool down a little I'd be a super happy guy.

blar

Reaction score
I've got a stator in my 07 that I'm parting out if you need one.

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OK I thought since I started thisthread I probably should finish it. Last week I figured to give my dealer one last kick at the...oh wait...diferent brand...Anyway, they checked my service records and apparently my requests to diagnose and fix the charging issue had never actually made it onto a work order, so....after some words were spoken...I dropped off my 800 for one more try. Presto. Phone rings next day....I need a stator...as some on this board suggested to me. I get her back next week, hopefully with that issue put to bed. Now if only they could make the exhaust heat cool down a little I'd be a super happy guy.
That exhaust heat comes in handy in the winter months. :d

Top Bottom