06' summit 1k

dj913

Reaction score
hey guys, i just joined the forums and just in the past few days i have found a bunch of info on my machine and what to do to make it a little bit better. ill give you a little backround on the machine, and if anyof you have any more info on it that would be greatly appreciated cause it has been nothing but hell for me since i bought it last january 09.

As i said i bought the machine january 09, it had just over 1900 miles on, i bought it off of marv baik, (friends father) and he told me that ross covosier snow checked it for 06. there was little mods done i suppose, reeds, and a can. i thought it was a pretty decent buy. i had gotten about 30 hours on the machine myself, and then i blew a couple plugs, thought nothing of it. one day near the end of april 09 it had some problems running, i was busy with work so i left it for about 3 weeks. took it to my mechanic march 8th 09. he told me he replaced the relays, and the plugs, and cleaned up around my engine becuase one of the spark plugs came unscrewd and got oil all over. so i was like ok cool ill come pick it up! ( i was so excited because by this point he had already had it for almost a month) the day i went to go pick it up i got to his shop and one of his guys went to go start it. and bam, nothing, it would run for half a second then power down, then after a few more times it completely stopped running at all, so i left it with him and figured he'd have it all fixed up in no time(considering he had already had the machine for such a long time he would make it priority cause he was a bit slow). After that i would phone and check up on it every couple weeks, i did this for about 7 months.. yeah pretty sad hey, i should have just taken it to a different mechanist. But i figured i was getting a good deal so i would just let it be. it was still early in the winter anyways. finally about two months ago, i called him up, he had finally had an answer to my problems, he had told me that the stator was pooched. so he ordered one and put it in, only to realize he was missing some parts(becuase during this period he had changed shops) so he picked up the parts needed and finally! after 10 months of waiting i had my machine back in my hands. i picked it up last friday. i havent taken it out for more than 10 minutes thus far, and now, she no longer runs. i pulled my plugs, and they look alright. there was no spark to them though, so i replaced the relays because that seemed to be the most common problem thus far that i have read on here. and nope still nothing, so i think it is now the actual dual coil that has failed on me.

If someone who has a summit 1000, or has alot of knowledge on these machines post a reply, or if you have any info on a great machinic to take it too that would be awesome.

Sorry about such a long post. but it has been hell for me

Thanks, Don

The Arborist

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had a buddy with much the same problem, he went through all the electrical crap. He pretty much changed everything... still had a problem!
Turns out that his problem was the little post that the tether attaches to, the post not the tether. First time we have ever heard of this, but may be something to look at.

OverBore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You should go back to that mechanic and kick his teeth out for wasting so much of your time and not doing the job properly.

dj913

Reaction score
its funny that you say the connection after the tether, cause i got told that yesterday by a fellow who worked at canadian tire and he was very knowledgeable with sleds, so i put dielectric grease on the connection and wiggled the wires, and changed my plugs, and took it out for about 4 hours today, and she ran like a charm! funny how something so small can cause havoc. and yeah i would love to knock his teeth in a few times, but meh, i sitll have my baby back

Top Bottom