05 RT Fuel problem

trailrider

Reaction score
I have an 05 MachZ, it will not rev passed 4000rpm with out playing with the throttle, when it does go passed 4000rpm it blows the 10amp fuse. I have been reading every thing i can on here and talked to Camrose dealer and I think it is the fuel pump inside the tank. Also the yellow engine light is flashing. I have checked the battery and the DESS when I pull the DESS off it dies instantly, any ideas????????? Trailrider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the low pressure fuel pump under the engine to me. If you put in a bigger fuse will the sled run right at all before the fuse blows.

trailrider

Reaction score
Sounds like the low pressure fuel pump under the engine to me. If you put in a bigger fuse will the sled run right at all before the fuse blows.

I have tryed that, same thing going to try a presure test on the fuel pump tonight thanks. Trailrider

trailrider

Reaction score
Hello everyone- So I did a fuelpump presure test, what I got was 57lbs pre start- then droped to 40lbs at idle - reved it up to 3000rpm-droped to 20lbs. then I lifted the track and managed to get it to 6000rpm without blowing the fuse and it went down to about 15lbs but backfired like crazy. testing was done with a brand new gauge so it should be fairly accurate I hope. So I am thinking either high presure fuelpump or inline regulator or both ????? Thanks Trailrider

ridehard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Before you spend the dollars, give the metal ring on the top part of the fuel tank a good whack with the shaft of your ratchet, and check pressures again.
The pressure regulators were known to stick in their day. It could break free, but it's an odds thing if it will work for any length of time.
Also, pickup line could be misplaced upwards in the tank & drawing some air. Are you testing with a near full tank?

trailrider

Reaction score
Before you spend the dollars, give the metal ring on the top part of the fuel tank a good whack with the shaft of your ratchet, and check pressures again.
The pressure regulators were known to stick in their day. It could break free, but it's an odds thing if it will work for any length of time.
Also, pickup line could be misplaced upwards in the tank & drawing some air. Are you testing with a near full tank?

Yes tank is about 5/8 full I had to drain down to pull fuelpump out. I will try the ratchet beating trick!!!!!! Thanks Trailrider

trailrider

Reaction score

I tryed beating on the regulator (felt good) but did not change anything same readings. Checked the pickup line it is sitting on the bottom of the tank and still connected. I guess its time to spend some $$$$. Is there any place cheaper than BRP to buy the fuel module $476.00 listed price on there website ???? Thanks Trailrider

ridehard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Try Power Merchants here in St. Paul, and ask them for a Snow 'n Mud discount.

highlimits

Reaction score
When you push the start button do you hear the fuel pump engage it should run for 2 seconds or so?

I have had trouble with the low pressure pump (the one under the motor) and finally went to a 6.2 chevy diesel pump. After doing countless hours of research and pulling my hair out the fix was less then 100bucks. If you fill the tank right to the top will the sled run, or blow in the tank and pressure rise it a bit to force the fuel into the pick up tube. If it will run with a full tank or by blowing in it then for sure its your low pressure pump.

Good luck

trailrider

Reaction score
Were you checking the pressure before or after the fuel filter? Have you tried a fuel filter yet??

I was checking before the fuel filter, then i pulled the fuel filter right out and the gauge T where it was and had the same reading. Trailrider

trailrider

Reaction score
When you push the start button do you hear the fuel pump engage it should run for 2 seconds or so?

I have had trouble with the low pressure pump (the one under the motor) and finally went to a 6.2 chevy diesel pump. After doing countless hours of research and pulling my hair out the fix was less then 100bucks. If you fill the tank right to the top will the sled run, or blow in the tank and pressure rise it a bit to force the fuel into the pick up tube. If it will run with a full tank or by blowing in it then for sure its your low pressure pump.

Good luck

I just tryed filling it right up, did the same thing. Then tryed blowing in the tank, but still will not run above 4000rpm with out backfireing like crazy, and the pressure stayed the same. Thanks Trailrider

trailrider

Reaction score
I just tryed filling it right up, did the same thing. Then tryed blowing in the tank, but still will not run above 4000rpm with out backfireing like crazy, and the pressure stayed the same. Thanks Trailrider

Yes the fuel pump pressures up when I hit the start button, that is the only time it builds any amount of pressure 55lbs then drops to just below 40lbs at start up then just drops from there.

highlimits

Reaction score
Thats a little different then what mine was doing mine would run as long as I had a full tank or pressure in the tank. You also could not hear the hum of the pump when you pushed the go button at least the one under the motor. I am pretty sure if it was your high pressure pump you would not get the initial 50lbs due to the low pump not being able to create that much pressure. You could try to wire direct to a battery the low pressure pump, I may even be tempted to pull the line off it and pump it in a jar.

Wonder if its possible that maybe a line got kinked leading to the fuel pump thats why when it sits and you push the button you get fuel pressure. Is it possible that maybe your are getting some fuel passed the kink just not enough to keep it running. This may also cause the pump to work harder blowing the fuse. Just a though I am by no means an expert just trying to help a fellow sledder.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Could it be a short in the pump that's blowing the fuse? As the pump heats up it may have a short somewhere that begins to act up. As you rev it up and ask it to provide more fuel it heats up and then blows the fuse?

Had an old dirtbike like this when I was a kid. Broken wire in the coil. Would start and run great for about 15 mins but as the coil got hot, the wire would expand and the connection on the broken wire would break the circuit and the bike would not run. Once it cooled down the bike would run again.

Either way, sounds like the pump is blowing the fuse, as it struggles to pump once you rev it up, the added draw just simply pops the fuse.

trailrider

Reaction score

Thanks everyone for all the help and suggestions, nothing seems to make the pressure stay were it is suppose to be so I broke down and ordered a new fuel module from Power Merchants, should be in early next week. I hope like he!! this solves my problem, I don't want to have to take it to Martens they wanted $100+ just to plug it into there computer to (maybe) tell me what the problem could be. Its to bad some one has not come out with an after market code reader for these motors yet, like my Bully Dog in my truck, but I guess the dealers would all go (broke) then.HAHA Thanks again everyone I will let you know if the new module fix's the problem when I get it. Trailrider

trailrider

Reaction score

Thanks Ridehard for the tip on the Snow and Mud discount, I will keep you guys in mind for the future it gets a little expensive some years trying to mantain five snow machines and five quads every 15% off helps, and getting more expensive as the kids grow older and think they can jump every snowmobile and quad across the whole 40 acres we have here. Thanks again to every one that took the time to throw in there 2cents. Trailrider

HotShotHarry

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a used high pressure pump that I would sell for $200. I changed it out last spring and found out later that it wasnt my problem. 30day guarantee. Pm me if interested. Thanks

trailrider

Reaction score
Well I got the new fuel module on Thursday, found the time to install today and she runs like BRAND NEW again. The new pump pressures up to 62psi amd holds it right through WFO, replaced the filter while I had it ripped apart save doing it later. By the way you can get the fuel filter at CT along with two high pressure hose clamps for less than $10, not $75 that BRP wants for the new fuel filter assbly. Thanks again for everyones help. Trailrider

highlimits

Reaction score
Glad to hear you got it running just in time for a bit more snow, got 4 inches and still snowing. I think I may get a few of those filters though it is amazing how the dealer wants 5 times as much for them.

Top Bottom