02-14 Duramax

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a used/new to me, pick me up truck. 2500 or 3500, for personal use.

My question........ Would you guys buy a used Dirtymouse with 180 - 280,000 kms on it. Not knowing the previous owner?

I'm thinking..... yes I would, because I'm also considering a Chev 6L gas and a Ford 6.2 gas. With the same mileage or less.
Also can't seem to find any 6.4 Rams..... Did they quit making them?
TIA

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a used/new to me, pick me up truck. 2500 or 3500, for personal use.

My question........ Would you guys buy a used Dirtymouse with 180 - 280,000 kms on it. Not knowing the previous owner?

I'm thinking..... yes I would, because I'm also considering a Chev 6L gas and a Ford 6.2 gas. With the same mileage or less.
TIA
I wouldn’t touch a diesel anything that age and mileage…..Ford and chev gas maybe, fiat never….diesels are way overpriced used to begin with and you can easily drop another $10k should some problem appear to the engine which is entirely possible….save yourself the worries and buy a decent used Ford or chev gas engined machine….

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

TIA
07.5 to 10 lmm are as good or better than a lbz

Body is updated and more comfortable, with less issues

06 and older stay away, 11-14 lml well that adds issues, unless deleted or been beefed up

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
My 2002 Dirtymax 2500 had 330,000kms when I sold in Nov 2020. I had it for 16yrs. The ONLY reason I sold is my old school Chevy has to be plugged in at -10 or they are very unhappy starting.
I had very few problems over the years and was truely sad to see it go. The new owner will have lots of life in if they take care of it.
That’s my 2 cents on the topic.
IMG_3553.jpg

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 2002 Dirtymax 2500 had 330,000kms when I sold in Nov 2020. I had it for 16yrs. The ONLY reason I sold is my old school Chevy has to be plugged in at -10 or they are very unhappy starting.
I had very few problems over the years and was truely sad to see it go. The new owner will have lots of life in if they take care of it.
That’s my 2 cents on the topic.
View attachment 240138
best looking front end ever made IMO

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Always liked the look. Added a front leveling kit, biggest tire I could fit and I just drove the old girl.
A lot of members knew my truck on site but once the back window was seen they new it was me.
New truck has no markings. View attachment 240139

Keep posting pics I might cry haha jk. Really my favourite ever made and regret selling my lb7 too, an 02 tho :(
New unit decaled out ?

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
HaHaHa…I bought my from a buddy (that took Summitric and I on our first mountain ride…was hooked). Truck had 50,000km when I got it. When I sold it he was posed I didn’t contact him first. Because it was such a great truck he would have bought it then and there…lol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If u are towing u won't like the gas heavy duty trucks.

overkill19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have 280000km on my 2012 3500 dodge.
Lifted yes
Tuned since I’ve owned it ..yes
Drove like a moron from light to light.. nope
Hammered on it to pass everyone… nope
Roll on without twisting to tranny right out the back end,… yup

I have zero issues with my motor / tranny!
Body and pinch welds under doors need lots of attention… Totally!

I have a new seat cushions down cover in my garage ready to go in too.

I’d gladly buy a used diesel from a old guy who knows how to treat a truck. Young kid with white sun glasses… hard no!

If you are towing at all … diesel all the way. 1,2 x a year gas is the way

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2012 Dmax 3500 and deleted at 131000 kms due to urea pump quitting. Very mild tune .
Good oils , good services and not driven hard they last along time .
Best truck I have ever owned to date .
Brakes just before 200k is all I have done to it .
IMG_3270.jpg

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I buy a diesel vehicle I intend to keep it for the long term, driving it until the loss of reliability or repair costs make it a nuisance to own, in which case it's sold and I move on to something new again. I just assume others operate on much the same concept and that makes me leery of buying a used diesel, partly because I've bought one of those worn out diesels that seemed like a good deal to turn around and dump a pile of money back into it.

Unless you tow heavy and want to be the fastest guy on the road, the economics of a used gas job pencil out better right now in the used market. A guy has to drive a pile of miles to make up for the fuel economy difference between the two, likely more miles than there is life in those used trucks. Then you get into the cost of repairs, you can put a rebuilt engine in most gas 1 tons for about the same cost as a set of injectors, fuel pump and turbo on a diesel, or at that point you just walk away from the gas job and buy another.

I really like my diesel F350, and its been reliable for the 7 years and 150k I've owned it, and I would have a hard time going back to a gas. But from an economic perspective I would really have to do some creative math to show that I've saved an appreciable amount of money over a comparable gas job.

brianm

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2012 ram 3500 diesel, I was looking for a gas job but they were hard to find ( what I was looking for) . After buying the diesel I wouldn’t go back to gas for towing . Totally depends on the truck though it would have to be stock or close to it and well looked after . I think the gm’s ride and drive the nicest buy anything that’s been well looking after should do the job for you.

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
HaHaHa…I bought my from a buddy (that took Summitric and I on our first mountain ride…was hooked). Truck had 50,000km when I got it. When I sold it he was posed I didn’t contact him first. Because it was such a great truck he would have bought it then and there…lol
I would have bought it too :( haha. Never gonna see one of those again unless it comes up from USA I think

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would be looking for a diesel under 130 km

A guy at work went from a diesel to a gas back to a diesel in a year

He thought the gas tow ratings would be ok, but the 47 l/100 km towing changed his mind. Plus the truck working way to hard.

blubbles

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are looking at LML's see if you can find a '15. They have the new body/interior, but have the previous LML in them.

I wouldnt hesitate with a higher KM version, long as the CP4 had been done.

BEL

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2017 3500HD Denali Duramax with 250,000k and it runs like a top. Lifetime fuel economy is 13.8l/100k and 2021 year-to-date is 13.4l/100k. Obviously mostly highway miles with about 25k towing a 30' enclosed and another 10k or so with a 16' car hauler. Really nice to set the cruise in the mountains towing that enclosed with 4 or 5 sleds or a car and not have an issue on any grade. Owned since new and always dealer maintained - glows plugs back in the day on warranty; DEF pump once on warranty and once not. I would not hesitate to buy such a unit if I was satisfied with its history.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks guys....... Lots of good advice here.

I'm still truck shopping and on the fence........ I'd love a diesel for the summer and a gas pot for the winter, LOL

I had a 93 Chev 2500 w/6.5 TD, as well as 05 F-sicklitre and loved both. They were both great trucks for me. But I was also pulling trailers or having a sled deck in the winter. Other than the 5th wheel camper we're buying, I think I'd kill a diesel with kindness....... Work is 70K round trip, but no load on the truck, other than 90% highway

Frickin tough decision!!!

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are looking at LML's see if you can find a '15. They have the new body/interior, but have the previous LML in them.

I wouldnt hesitate with a higher KM version, long as the CP4 had been done.
And it's been deleted

No 14 hour egr cooler bypass valve job, or Def ch!t to chit the bed

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2017 3500HD Denali Duramax with 250,000k and it runs like a top. Lifetime fuel economy is 13.8l/100k and 2021 year-to-date is 13.4l/100k. Obviously mostly highway miles with about 25k towing a 30' enclosed and another 10k or so with a 16' car hauler. Really nice to set the cruise in the mountains towing that enclosed with 4 or 5 sleds or a car and not have an issue on any grade. Owned since new and always dealer maintained - glows plugs back in the day on warranty; DEF pump once on warranty and once not. I would not hesitate to buy such a unit if I was satisfied with its history.
No injectors or connectors yet??

I have been doing one a week as of late

Top Bottom