2007 grizzly/kodiak 450 Cooling Fan Not Kicking in

farmboy020

Reaction score
Hey guys so when i was out riding my quad in about -15 celcious i had my fan kicking in a few times but now it is about about 12 above and my fan will not kick in. The temp light does not come on but it is starting to worry me. any one else had this problem. I dont have a manual so i do not no where the fuse for it is so i could not check it. Any help would be great.

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Two likely possiblities:

Have you checked the coolant level in the radiator by removing the rad cap? Coolant in the recovery bottle does not count. If you have a slow leak when it was -15C the fan would have come on as the coolant level slowly went down and got hotter. At 12C will no coolant left in the system the fan and light switch will not come on because there is no water or steam to heat the sensors. This condition is common when the rad hose gets punctured at the water pump (between left floor board and engine block). When there is a hole in the cooling system, antifreeze will not be drawing out of the recovery bottle, thus fooling one into thinking there is in fact coolant in the system.

The more likely case is the grill and rad inlet area, or the area behind the fan got plugged up with snow when it was -15C. The snow impeds natural air flow and thus the fan comes on to draw air through the rad. At 12C there is no snow to imped air flow and it is cool enough that the fan is not required.

If you have coolant just under the rad cap, assume you have a normal condition.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Hey guys so when i was out riding my quad in about -15 celcious i had my fan kicking in a few times but now it is about about 12 above and my fan will not kick in. The temp light does not come on but it is starting to worry me. any one else had this problem. I dont have a manual so i do not no where the fuse for it is so i could not check it. Any help would be great.

The fuses are under the Black plastic panel in front of the speedo.In the little black box with the flip up lid..15 Amp.But check coolant as well ,Actually it is spring check EVERYTHING:)

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
couple of ideas, check to make sure your fan is not stuck with something preventing it from turning, also there is a temp thermo switch, i believe it is on the lower right side of the engine, looks like a probe the green wire, make sure that the wire never got knocked off.

T

farmboy020

Reaction score
great thanks guys ill take a look at it tomorrow and see if i could find it. i ordred a service manual and it should be here soon. thanks again.

Top Bottom