Yammy Big Bear questions

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What are some of your opinions on a 1992 Yamaha Big Bear 350 quad. Might be getting one and need to know a few things about it before I make a deal.
IS it shaft drive?
Any issues with them?
Things to check?
I will be new to quadding so any help would be good. Thanks :d

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes they are shaft drive front and rear full time 4x4 so the steering is a little tuffer they are only oil cooled with a cooler so if your not moving they tend to run hot
the one we had was a really good quad overall excpet for the front drum brakes really suck they never seem to work that great you can set them up for a ride by the time your back theres almost nothing left i would also check on the condition of the ujoints especially the back one on the front shaft the book shows removing the entire transfer case to replace it

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rear U-joint on front drive shaft is done by leifting front diff and sliding it forward.

Front brakes are a PITA, the oil cooler is not protected well, the carb to head boot separates and the reserve interlock cable will seize up and a regular basis.

Other than front driveshaft u-joints the power train is bullet proof. The 350 engine has been around since about '87 and over the years Yamaha has biult that same base engine up to a 450.

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did end up getting the quad. Seems alright. He guy I bought it from had all the paper for the work done to the quad. Well over a thousand worth of reciepts. New berrings, seals, cv boots, brakes. Re built top end on motor. Frame was re painted. Body is not the pretty. Sun faded mostly. Cant wait the the rally now. WHOO HOO !!!!! :d Heres some pics.

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 33
  • Left Side.jpg
    Left Side.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 32
  • Right Side.jpg
    Right Side.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 31
  • Rear.jpg
    Rear.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 35

sled

Reaction score
My brother in law had one like that and he kept up to us boys riding 650,750, and a 800. they are a great quad and some times a little easier to get thru some trails that i have been on.

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The one thing about it I DONT like is that in reality, only a 3X3 as the front diff doesnt lock up. Seems to pull in the front end because only 1 front wheel is a drive wheel. Not sure if that is the way they were made or just a busted lock pin or something, somewhere in the diff. Another thing would be if it would go into just rear wheel drive for those days you are taking it easy. Other than those 2 things i've noticed, it seems pretty good. Gonna test it out today. :d

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, front diff is an open spool. Pulling from side to side is normal on hard acceleration.

Apex06

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think your front tires are running in the wrong direction

I did end up getting the quad. Seems alright. He guy I bought it from had all the paper for the work done to the quad. Well over a thousand worth of reciepts. New berrings, seals, cv boots, brakes. Re built top end on motor. Frame was re painted. Body is not the pretty. Sun faded mostly. Cant wait the the rally now. WHOO HOO !!!!! :d Heres some pics.

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think your front tires are running in the wrong direction

Yeah, I already changed them. Thats the way the guy had them on it. Noticed it right away and was changed the next day.
Good eye. :d

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
good solid unit, cant kill those bears, one thing to check is the swing arm play. if you grab the rear rack and move it sideways there should be no play, if there is check to see if the pivot screws just need tightening, they are usually covered by a small 1-1/2 blk plastic cap and are located around your ankle area on the frame. they sometimes,after much use/abuse loosen off and then the bearings in there start to slap, and that puts slack on your rear diff/arm assemble brgs and they wear and so on and so on. also insure hubs are tight on rear axles, if they loosen up the will eventually strip out the splines on the axle and thats about 400.00 , all the other stuff is easy and realitively cheap to fix.
boot from carb to cylinder - about 100-125. check if cracked
ujoints - about 35.00 buy after market, yama is toooo expensive. if you have to replace them take one with you as there is a small and large size, might save you a trip back.
brake shoes, best luck with ebc about 38.00 per front and i think your rear is a disc depending on the yr. could be a shoe though about the same.$$

if the reverse shift cable is seized there 135 plus, just back off the adjuster on the shifter and go with out it, it will work, and you will be able to shift into reverse any time. so be carefull.

if your changing out ur tires a swamp lite is great for control on the front as they are a softer tire and realitively cheap. the bears always shifted stiff and rode stiff, new and still now, not pretty , but pretty indistructable. and will take you where you need to go and back.

good luck, if you need any help just holller..

T

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
good solid unit, cant kill those bears, one thing to check is the swing arm play. if you grab the rear rack and move it sideways there should be no play, if there is check to see if the pivot screws just need tightening, they are usually covered by a small 1-1/2 blk plastic cap and are located around your ankle area on the frame. they sometimes,after much use/abuse loosen off and then the bearings in there start to slap, and that puts slack on your rear diff/arm assemble brgs and they wear and so on and so on. also insure hubs are tight on rear axles, if they loosen up the will eventually strip out the splines on the axle and thats about 400.00 , all the other stuff is easy and realitively cheap to fix.
boot from carb to cylinder - about 100-125. check if cracked
ujoints - about 35.00 buy after market, yama is toooo expensive. if you have to replace them take one with you as there is a small and large size, might save you a trip back.
brake shoes, best luck with ebc about 38.00 per front and i think your rear is a disc depending on the yr. could be a shoe though about the same.$$

if the reverse shift cable is seized there 135 plus, just back off the adjuster on the shifter and go with out it, it will work, and you will be able to shift into reverse any time. so be carefull.

if your changing out ur tires a swamp lite is great for control on the front as they are a softer tire and realitively cheap. the bears always shifted stiff and rode stiff, new and still now, not pretty , but pretty indistructable. and will take you where you need to go and back.

good luck, if you need any help just holller..

T

Thanks for all that info. The machine seems pretty tight, but will check the swing arm play as you said. It does ride rough, I would love to switch the stock rims to something nicer and rubber to. I noticed the left front tire is toed in a bit as well and saw the A arm has a small bend in it. Think I will have to hunt one down. HATE the color though. Is there a way a person can paint it without it flaking? Newer one are red and blue, but doubt the plastics are changeable. :cool:

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you can probably adjust the toe in and leave the a arm, as far as painting the plastic,,,,, well some have good luck some, dont , weve paint a prowler sxs and it looks ok, wet sand, and use a good plastic paint. a little chrome and grippy tires go along way and also look sweeeeeett

T

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you can probably adjust the toe in and leave the a arm, as far as painting the plastic,,,,, well some have good luck some, dont , weve paint a prowler sxs and it looks ok, wet sand, and use a good plastic paint. a little chrome and grippy tires go along way and also look sweeeeeett

Might attack it in the next few weeks. Need some better weather as I dont have a garage, just a tarp shed. CANT paint in there with my sled. :nono:

Top Bottom