wtf is wrong with my brand new alternator...or truck?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the othe day i was driving and my engine light came on and the voltage dropped and i limped my truck back to the shop. took out the alternator and sure enough the bearings were toast or something it was making a terrible noise. went to napa got a new one. installed it. started the truck and it was ok for a second then it started SQEEEEEELING like crazy and the voltage would charge when it was at idle but the more gas i gave it the voltage seemed to drop. all while this thing is squeeling like MAD. did they give me the wrong alt? or is there something else wrong with my truck. im sure this alt is toest now it does not charge the batery at all

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
they were having some problems finding the correct alternator....for a 2001 dodge ram 2500 gas. there was quite a few dependig on the date of manufacturing. but the one they gave me bolted right up andplugged right in soooo.... and my truck only says the month and year of manufactuing not the day which is what was needed

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well i feel stupid now. it seems to be working ok. looks like the belt tensioner was a little seized up and did not release back to full tension...belt squeeking...

ram4tow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well i feel stupid now. it seems to be working ok. looks like the belt tensioner was a little seized up and did not release back to full tension...belt squeeking...

hehe nothing like figuring the issue out all by yourself haha.. nice to see your progress

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes gotta agree. replace the tensioner. they are cheap and when it goes your fubared cant do nothing but wait till you get the new one in. try and find one halfway between jasper and valemont would be tough cheap insurance imo.

Top Bottom