Worth a watch before yanking on a stuck rig!

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not really shocked it broke when you look at the length of the drop and the leverage ratio that was on the 2" receiver shaft.
I am also guilty of towing with ball on truck but it is a straight pull 2.5" ball on a 1/2" thick wall tube rated at 16,000#, tow ropes are rated at 49,000 and carry a shackle in my truck.
Work with cranes a lot at work so have access to some of the gear.
Have seen a chain break and go right through radiator once.
There is no mention of using truck front factory tow hooks???

Really great info on the video.
Shitty on outcome of the stuck.

Last edited:

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Shock loading isnt great for your truck either. Lol

You want a nice steady pull. If you wanna be an offroader get a nice winch.

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty scary. Similar incident happened around here a few years ago. The fellow lived but not without great injuries

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of big trucks will have chain marks up the hood. Coat or floor mat over the rope will help it not fly back.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
I've got one of those Bubba ropes. Those things are amazing. They take away a lot of the shock.

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Watched a tow truck snap his cable doing a job for us one time. His lot lizard was in the passenger seat. The cable snapped and went through his back window and just missed her. Would have taken her head clean off

• Wow
Reactions: RXN

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I was younger in the 80’s a buddy of mine pulled out my Ford Granada with a chain that had rope in the middle. After a couple yanks it broke. The chain flew back so violently that it went completely through the hood and radiator and snapped off the power steering mount. I sat behind the wheel super lucky I didn’t get my face smashed

• Wow

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I’ve pulled lots of trees out of the bush hauling wood. Never did you use the ball. Used the front stock tow hooks and the back hooks that came with the deck and rear apparatus that they put on when installing the hitch receiver. I used cables and never chains. Used pretty thick chains for cinches on the trunk of the trees and aways put a heavy jacket on the cable when pulling. Had some cables break over the years but nothing serious due to the safety precautions we would take. Never pulled on the cable with a tow hook as we always used a shackle.
It was a good video to share. Thanks Gavin.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It simply can't be overstated how much energy is involved when hitting the end of the tow rope with speed, especially ones with little or no stretch.

Sometimes people want to be the hero and help someone else out, but as shown in this incident in an instant you can go from hero to zero.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Happened to a buddy one time. He was pulling a guy out and broke the ball off the other trucks hitch bar and it went through his back window and out the front. After that he didn't hook onto hitch balls anymore and put a big FU steel mesh headache rack on.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't agree with not using a hitch at all, it depends on the rating and how you're pulling. I always pull off my pintle, but it's rated for 10 ton, and always use a tow strap. If I have to use a chain i'm way more cautious and absolutely no whipping. If used with common sense, it's pretty dahm hard to break a chain, but you see idiots whipping the hell out of chains and wonder why they break. A few times in a pinch i've pulled out my dump truck and trailer which weight around 40,000lbs with a 3/8" chain and haven't broke one yet, and that's pulling on it with a 210 trackhoe.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got one of those Bubba ropes. Those things are amazing. They take away a lot of the shock.
I've got one of those bad boys, it's 20 feet long and over an inch thick with no load on it. Used it to winch on a dead 568 Cat log loader, that thing stretched so tight that when you tapped on it, it sounded like it was made of solid plastic. It stretched about 5 feet before the loader started moving out of it's hole. They are amazing.

Bezzola

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a strap break once and took my buddies mirror right of his truck

overkill19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ccaadeacbd175400485e8455fa571abf.jpg

This is a picture I show rope rescue guys when we are training. But it applies to all walks of life from pulling trucks out when guys think they can hook anther truck up and help pull. You put a lot of load on the tie on point.

I also used this for my Neighbor when she put one of those Amazon tight rope things with a zip line , swing on it. She tied to to her fence post and her deck hand rail. She thought because her grandkids only weigh 35lbs it would be no problem….Nope!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was pulling a friend out many years ago. 2008/9 give or take. We shackled on to the emergency chain hole on his receiver, and to a solid receiver hitch on my truck with a 20ft strap.

Gave him a couple easy jerks after trying a dead pull, but he was buried in the mud pretty good. Took about a 6 foot run at it, and all I remember is being rained on with glass.

7/8 shackle ripped through the chain attachment point on his hitch, and came flying through both the rear window and windshield on my regular cab short box. Dead center on the window, missing my head by about a foot. Lucky to be alive today. I learned a lot about recovery that day, and since then.

Top Bottom