Work Place Horror Stories

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm sure there are alot of stories out there and everyone thinks short cuts are great but " THEY WILL COME BACK TO HURT YOU". Proper training and communication on the work site is #1. I was browsing around a site called roughneckcity.com and come across the title " Tips & Tricks of the Oilfield". These sure aren't tips I would be teaching green hands.

Drilling Company Excell Services

Rig # 2

Position Derrickman

Comments:
You need to put on a wiping rubber but you don't want to pull out those damn rotary table blocks...Here is what you do...Break off your kelly, dope the center of your rubber and set it centered on your stump, lower kelly and stab it through the hole and into the tool joint of your stump, grab the top of your kelly bushing and pull yourself up and wrap your legs around the rubber (like you were trying to sit on it) and push it down past the tool face and down the pipe, tighten down kelly (make connection) and raise pipe up a ways, now grab a swamp bar and place it between the elevators and the rubber and slowly and carefully push the rubber down below the rotary table. (you may have to work it once or twice in different positions around the rubber) Just be careful of your hands and don't drop the swamp bar down the hole!
It may take a few tries to get the hang of it, but once you do it saves a boat load of time!

Or here is another idea......:confused:

Drilling Company nomac

Rig # 104

Position derrickhand

Comments:

when you are pulling back wet pipe or it is raining, you can put some soda ash on your rope. It allows you to get a better grip. you can also put it on the rig floor and step in winter so you don't slip.

In the list of tips there were actually 1 or 2 good tips.

Share your stories or comments.....

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's a couple pic's from a couple winters ago at a rig that I was doing some directional work with.
Pic's 001 (Medium).jpg

That 2" bowl valve went to the 2" circulating line on the derrick.

Pic's 002 (Large).jpg

First time I've ever seen a quick coupler for the standpipe pressure gauge. Guess this rig doesn't do alot of deep work seeing pressures 12000+ kpa.

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And look at whats about to fall by the V-door another danger!! I don't think a hard hat would save you from that!!!:eek::eek:

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
We got new carpet in the office last week when they tried to move the filing cabient they bent and tossed it out moved the files to the storage room now i have to let papers pile up on my desk they walk them to the storage room....I'm gonna get a paper cuts with all these papers on my desk:rant:...thats my work place horror story:p

Thought I should tell this rather than the good work place whore stories:eek:

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got a new driver for long haul last week. Got lost going from Leduc to HWY 16 west, ended up east on 625. Suppose to be headed to Snohomish , stress for 2 days. Thank someone they made the turn south to Kamloops and didnt end up in Prince George:confused:

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As a teenager I worked for my dad and uncles who owned an Augering outfit. Horizontal Augering Services. My cousins husband worked with us as well, he eventually ran one of the trucks with a small crew. On a job up at Judy Creek near Whitecourt he was killed. I was supposed to be on the crew with him but was assinged to the machine shop instead that day. While lowering the augering unit into the hole he had to raise the truck mounted picker to it's max and dangerously close to some Hi voltage wires. The electricity arced accross to the boom from a distance of over 6 feet. He and one labourer were killed instantly. The extreme voltage blew out every tire on the truck, all 10 tires.

It was a horrable time for all of us, employees and family.

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I look back on the stuff that I thought was normal, cause we did it every day, I just cringe. (Service Rig) We would lower in a few joints of pipe without BOP's, flare off 8 MPa after a frac through a joint of pipe to a "flare", horizontal..... man ....lucky we didn't get hurt or worse.

kgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I witnessed a roughneck fall from the crown about 12 yrs back. Cut and slip line then the roughneck(or derrickhand) stood on the elevators and hung on to the blocks as the driller ran up to the crown. Should have ran tugger thru bales. Driller crowned out. Hand did backward swan dive, clipped the monkey board went into spin landed on V-door bounced clipped pipe rack and landed on ground. Needless to say i aint a pretty sight.

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
^^ wow that sucks.

We had a safety course today at work, the instructor brought up an interesting point.

Last year 80 Canadian soldiers lost their lives in the war overseas. Fair to say that these brave souls were acutely aware that their lives would be threatened while there, they were volunteering their lives for the cause.

154 people were killed at work in Alberta last year. You think even one of these people volunteered to be killed?

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Scotty condolences over the loss of a family member and know how close to home that hits.
Back in '95 our family lost a son/brother in a single vehicle roll over. Parents should never have to barry a sibling.
For those of us who work in the oil and gas industry driving to or from work would have to be the most dangerous part of our job. One can be driving cautiously for the road conditions and/or environment BUT what about that guy coming towards you? Is he tired? Drunk? Hungover? Excited to go home for days off? Mind in the clouds? Roads conditions, black ice, packed snow, rain?
Two weeks ago just west of Vegreville while I was driving east for the job that I'm at now I was passed by tractor trailer unit that DEFINITELY was traveling well over 110 km/h. I was going 118 and he caught up, passed and left me behind. I caught up to him by the east entrance into Vegreville cause he had a blow out on the rear driver side drive axle. Chalked that one up to just another DUMB ASS imported nationality truck driver. Hate to see what would have happened if the tire blew out while passing me.

Someone had told me what CPX trucking stood for.......:d:d

Canadian Packie Express

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A buddy of mine sent me some pic's of his last rig move....:d

IMG_4972 (Medium).jpg

IMG_4983 (Medium).jpg

IMG_4982 (Medium).jpg

When the boom of the first picker came down it caught the edge of the cab on the second picker on the other side of the derrick.
No one was hurt in the mishap.

popeye

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Scotty condolences over the loss of a family member and know how close to home that hits.
Back in '95 our family lost a son/brother in a single vehicle roll over. Parents should never have to barry a sibling.
For those of us who work in the oil and gas industry driving to or from work would have to be the most dangerous part of our job. One can be driving cautiously for the road conditions and/or environment BUT what about that guy coming towards you? Is he tired? Drunk? Hungover? Excited to go home for days off? Mind in the clouds? Roads conditions, black ice, packed snow, rain?
Two weeks ago just west of Vegreville while I was driving east for the job that I'm at now I was passed by tractor trailer unit that DEFINITELY was traveling well over 110 km/h. I was going 118 and he caught up, passed and left me behind. I caught up to him by the east entrance into Vegreville cause he had a blow out on the rear driver side drive axle. Chalked that one up to just another DUMB ASS imported nationality truck driver. Hate to see what would have happened if the tire blew out while passing me.

Someone had told me what CPX trucking stood for.......:d:d

Canadian Packie Express

CPX thats a good one

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
well this isnt realy work, but at school 2 years ago me and my friend were using the torches and he was standing in front of the guage as i was adjusting the presure and the guage blew out and the peacies flew at him and hit him in the eye( no safty glases) and he was blind in one eye, wasnt very good for him,

polcat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A few years ago i was working in a piping fab shop in edmonton we had an apprentice running an industrial sized bandsaw that we used for cutting stainless and small bore pipe.Well after a number of cuts are done you get a build up of metal shavings so the apprentice grabs a cloth and wipes it off only he doesn't shut it off the blade caught the rag pulled it in and his hand slipped towards the blade.Wow I don't think I've every seen so much blood, poor kid lost his thumb,index and most of his middle finger.I didn't work at that shop all that long so I don't really know what ever happened to him.

Top Bottom