Winterizing

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Anyone know anything about winterizing boats with a closed loop cooling system filled with antifreeze?

Mine is a 5.8L OMC Cobra. I have a coolant resevoir and am baffled. As I understand the only area I should be pulling fresh water into is my exhaust manifolds. I found the 2 plugs at the rear of the mannifolds and removed them, this released a small amount of very dirty silty water.

One thing I don't undertand is that I have a hose from my resevoir overflow (a 3 way T) into the front of each manifold... how can I have water and antifreeze in the manifold without diluting my coolant???...however when I blow into the hose which enters the front of the manifold I hear gurgling but it doesn't seem to push any fluid out of the drains..is there something separatinting the systems internally?????

I guess I'm in the same boat as the original poster, I don't really know enough about the system, I had thought I would pour antifreeze down into the lines into the mannifold but I'm thinking maybe they already have coolant in them if so how do I get anitfreeze into the area I removed the plugs from.

Apparently I don't have to do anything with my engine block due to the fact that i have a closed loop cooling system..
Not sure if anything anyone says can help me but usually writing things out helps me to understand.

I can't start the boat because the starter is pooched otherwise I would drop the leg into a 15 gallon tup of antifreeze and fire it up... might be cheating but it's easy....If I can get the old starter out and a new one in I might still do this but realistically we are looking at temps below 0C this weekend and I'd prefer to just put it awy and deal with the starter/oil change etc.. come spring.

Might see if I can take it into RPS and work along side the mechanic as he does it.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
If you haven't added or removed any coolant this summer it should be good.(the block that is not sure about manifolds???)It didn't freeze last winter...
I've got an antifreeze tester if you want to make sure.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
If you haven't added or removed any coolant this summer it should be good.(the block that is not sure about manifolds???)It didn't freeze last winter...
I've got an antifreeze tester if you want to make sure.

I may borrow it, Like I said I got a little dirty silty water out of the manifolds just expected there to be more in there...

Gonna review the manual at work tomorow... I just don't wanna have to haul it into the city...

Top Bottom