Will it weaken my rails?

git r done

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im just wondering if getting the rails on my 2009 M8 chromed will weaken them?Im not into big drops and huge air just mountain riding. I have heard some rumours before about pwdercoating rails and people saying they will weaken. Just wondering if i should be concerned or just get it done.

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im just wondering if getting the rails on my 2009 M8 chromed will weaken them?Im not into big drops and huge air just mountain riding. I have heard some rumours before about pwdercoating rails and people saying they will weaken. Just wondering if i should be concerned or just get it done.

Im not sure if you can. Chrome is heavy and will thicken your rails. Why not just shine them up with the buffer wheel.

Longhairfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I powdercoated mine 7 yrs ago and theyre fine. Hey wait a minute theyve never seen snow.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why would chrome them?? i guess if your sled is garage queen it will be sweet but if you actually use it won't the chrome just chip off if the rails flex a little?

buckie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why would chrome them?? i guess if your sled is garage queen it will be sweet but if you actually use it won't the chrome just chip off if the rails flex a little?

My thoughts exactly I'd think with a bit of flex and movement it would start peeling right away

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
Powder coating or super chroming your rails does not interfere with the molecular structure of the base metal whereas something like anodizing to put color on does because it actually gets into the metal so to speak to change the color thereby changing the molecular make up of the actual metal to fuse the color in.

Anodizing aluminum surfaces are harder than aluminum but handle low to moderate wear resistance and are more susceptible to cracking due to thermal stress.

Jan

HagmanMod1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Quiet a few guys I ride with have powder coated rails and they're fine and look good as well

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Chroming probably weaken them just for the amount heat they use is way hotter then powder coating. I have seen regular steel warp really bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom