Wild Rose internet questions.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Currently using a Telus air card, finding it not only expensive but lately its been dropping service and having a hard time to connect to the internet.
So looking into going wireless. Wild Rose Internet is coming out March 27th so see if I'm "in the line of sight" to their tower. If so $399.90 for installation, if not $549.90 (which it'll probably end up the later). then $44.95 a month for 15GB. I don't know how much 15GB is but I think that sounds okay. Think I'm paying $60 a month for 6GB on my air card, and I have gone over, received a bill once for just over $200.

Anyone else on here using Wild Rose?
What do you think? they sound pretty decent.

Anyone got tips on which wireless router a guy should buy?

Steve D

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would recommend asking Wild Rose what they recommend for a router. Tech support can generally help you a lot more if you have a brand of router they are familiar with. Dlink and Linksys typically aren't any better than Belkin or Asus, but since they're more common already, they're better understood.

I wouldn't pay more than $100 for a router unless I knew I needed specific features.

Turbo_Albertan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.fenrichhomes.ca
I am using the Rogers turbo hub wireless internet out here at Alberta Beach and it is ok. Not as fast as the high speed I had in the city but it works well enough. My bills have been fairly reasonable aswell.

Shitfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stay away from Xplornet, the, absolute, worst, customer service, ever..and their Internet service was shoddy at best in my years with them(was the only option at the time for wireless), have now switched to CCI wireless and am very happy, I would recommend them. Bills around 50$ month, all I can use internet at good d/l speeds. My .02
Oh, and did I say: stay as far away from xplornet as you can! Fuggers..

• Thanks
Reactions: RXN

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stay away from Xplornet, the, absolute, worst, customer service, ever..and their Internet service was shoddy at best in my years with them(was the only option at the time for wireless), have now switched to CCI wireless and am very happy, I would recommend them. Bills around 50$ month, all I can use internet at good d/l speeds. My .02
Oh, and did I say: stay as far away from xplornet as you can! Fuggers..
X2 on xplornet what a joke!!!! I had to unplug and plug back in 20 times a day to get it to work and slow. I tether to my iphone now 10 times faster 9gig a month for 65. I dont have another option and when i go over its pricey but telus sends me texts at 75 percent usage and 90 percent usage so i know where i sit.

• Thanks

pete gads

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I live 14 km north of stony plain, I have platinuim comm, works great. Wife works for her company out of house with no problems. Charged around 42.00 a month and good service for little I needed. Hope this helps

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess I'll stop complaining about my wireless internet up here. $450 initial equipment fee, and $41.95/mo unlimited usage. I use a Linksys router

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check out MCSNET. I have been with them for about 5 years....excellent service, very stable.

I went on their website and it looks like Sherwood Park is covered. Install cost??....I paid $300....says "free" on their website - not sure of the details available today. The $300 was worth replacing the old dial up we had before......free is better
They have a few pkg's - - 10GB, 30GB & 60GB

Something to look at when comparing different companies is not only the GB size but upload & download sppeds within that pkg.....this is where a few internet companies fails in my opinion.

• Thanks

FTBeaver

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
MCSNET bought out the company we used about a year ago and I have been very impressed by their customer service and reliability. We are paying $60 for 60 gigs and the speed is decent.

• Thanks

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with xplornet. We are cancelling our service with them.

Had no issue with them in the past, old dish was shoddy, then they put in a new tower and I upgraded my dish and all was good, they claimed 10gig/month for $29.95 but never tracked usage. WHen they began tracking usage in April 2012 our bill would have been round $450 for the month as we used a little over 400gig, because it was new they charged me an aditional $100 and called it square but told me to watch my usage... it adds up FAST, we quit downloading and even then a few hours surfing facebook/S&M/MLS/Kijiji can quickly equal 5 gig per day.

Platinum communications offers 100G for $60month no contract and Cci is unlimited for I think $80 but they are not available to me, platinum is.

I called explornet, told them thier plans are not competitive and as a customer of over 5 years I want a custom plan that is competitive... wasd told too bad we cant change the plans. biggest they offer is 30gig for $90 month. they don't care. I will ensure that all 181 lots in my subdivision know they now have options.

Wife just confirmed that Platinum is $60 for 100Gb or $80 for 200Gb.....SOLD

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with xplornet. We are cancelling our service with them.

Had no issue with them in the past, old dish was shoddy, then they put in a new tower and I upgraded my dish and all was good, they claimed 10gig/month for $29.95 but never tracked usage. WHen they began tracking usage in April 2012 our bill would have been round $450 for the month as we used a little over 400gig, because it was new they charged me an aditional $100 and called it square but told me to watch my usage... it adds up FAST, we quit downloading and even then a few hours surfing facebook/S&M/MLS/Kijiji can quickly equal 5 gig per day.

Platinum communications offers 100G for $60month no contract and Cci is unlimited for I think $80 but they are not available to me, platinum is.

I called explornet, told them thier plans are not competitive and as a customer of over 5 years I want a custom plan that is competitive... wasd told too bad we cant change the plans. biggest they offer is 30gig for $90 month. they don't care. I will ensure that all 181 lots in my subdivision know they now have options.

Wife just confirmed that Platinum is $60 for 100Gb or $80 for 200Gb.....SOLD

hell ian i can't keep up to ur posts now, faster is getting me farther behind. hehe

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have Wildrose in the County of Vulcan. When it first came out it was a pain as it was always out. It has improved each here since. I'm glad after reading this thread that we didn't switch to Explornet like we were thinking of doing.

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
MCSNet here and it works alright. I should have bumped it down ages ago as it never gets used but it's 40GB a month and it's around $60. I didn't pay any install because I went for a 3 year contract and it's over and done with now. Speed wise I find little difference between it and my girlfriends Shaw Highspeed in Edmonton.

Top Bottom