Whirring/Whining noise on Decel/Braking

Joelk

Reaction score
I bought an 01 XC 800 SP this fall and have not yet ridden it is snow, but I have gone for a few spins in the yard. It seems to run and perform great, but it has a VERY noticable Whirring/Whining noise when I decelerate/brake.

Has an almost new track that looks perfect, the hifaxes look good and the bogie wheels look/seem good.

I do not have a lot of experience with sleds, but do have some older Arctic Cats and a 96 XCR 600 SP and have not noticed them making this type of noise.

Only notice on coasting/decel/braking, seems to increase when braking. Might also be doing on accel, but if so, it is covered up by other noises.

Any suggestions on what may be causing this and what to do to fix?

Thanks, Joel

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I noticed this when we bought our Polaris sleds a few years ago with mechanical reverse on them. The noise comes from the chaincase. No fix that I am aware of.

Brad62

Reaction score
My 02 edge RMK had the same noise when decel and all of the same vintage will have it. I was told it was the chain tensioner. But it won't hurt to have a look at the chain and gears. I have a look every year. Hope this helps

Toeknee

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
our 04 700 switchback did the same thing right from new and they tell me that is normal. I know what you mean though the first few times I road it I thought what the hell!!

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think you can change something in the gearing to get less whine. but yep all polaris sleds do this

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Even the new ones??

i dont know.......i cant remember if my iq does. my edge does and my gen 2 did....... i just cant remember if my iq does. i wonder if the rush does with that new cool looking brake

i think i seen something about changing the gearing to have technically the same ratio but the teeth were different on the upper and lower gearing than stock......ill try to find this. im just use to it so it doesnt bother me.

Top Bottom