When to do top end? Or reeds?

Syncustom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an 08 m8 an it has 1500 miles and was just curious when these motors need a top end? Also reeds or any other internal freshening up? My buddy's ride doo's and they seem to be into top ends every second season. Thanks.

mountianguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are running a stock engine and use fresh fuel you should consider rebuilding at the 5000 to 7000 km range. The 800 Cat engine from 2007 up is as close to bullet proff as they come. These engines run well past the 7000 km mark untouched [very common]. I see you are running a pipe kit I would still stick to 5000 km plus .

Last edited:

sled_wrangler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Reeds not a bad idea to check every season as for top end just do compression tests

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

craptabulous

Reaction score
I find reeds to be a nightmare to check , i wouldnt go near them unless its running poorly . For the top end i would go 5000 kms , however i pull the pipe every few rides and do a visual on the pistons any damage or visible wear , then i would change them .

SIRsleeper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The way you ride that thing you're good for another 1500 miles easy lol

Like said, check comp and check for scoring and keep on riding when it passes... Ditto on reeds being buried. Mine only got checked because vforce are known to chip and add nitrous to that equation and it's asking for trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using

crossfire879

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just did the top end on my 08 800. Roughly 2500 miles and the pistons still looked new and lots of crosshatch left on the cylinders. These cat engines truly are unbeatable.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Syncustom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok then fella's ill just ride it like I stole it some more! And Eric I'm stealing your noss. I got another question for you guys. I want to open up the factory sir box a bit and I know I'm on the lean side of things with the pipe and what not but do these suckers have a sensor for if I get it to lean or is it just gonna burn up?

craptabulous

Reaction score
It does have an egt probe but i wouldnt trust it to save you , just get a pc or bd and a a/f gauge to be safe . Its expensive but trust me an engine is a big pita to change out. Plus you will get more power :)

SIRsleeper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It does have an egt probe but i wouldnt trust it to save you , just get a pc or bd and a a/f gauge to be safe . Its expensive but trust me an engine is a big pita to change out. Plus you will get more power :)

And once you add a boondocker box you can buy my boondocker nitrous kit cheap cheap!!

SIRsleeper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Might be a good day to show up with cash and drink my beer while my wiring is all opened up. Just saying

Syncustom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have school tonight and then a date. Sooo I'm a little occupied tonight.

2skis

Reaction score
I had 7600K on my M8 and still had 130Lbs Compression on both sides. Just pull your exhaust valves and clean them keep err happy!

SIRsleeper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well at the rate I'm figuring this out my wiring will be even more opened up come tomorrow lol

Iamcatman

Reaction score
I have an 09 M8, almost 9000 km. cleaned power valves this weekend for the first time. never an issue, and still got a full season of warranty. I am going to try and get to 11,000 km before the end of this season. if she blows, i get a new engine. If she don`t, Ill rebuild her in the summer, before it does blow. These 800`s are pretty solid! This is my fourth season, and nothing but awesomeness when riding!!

Top Bottom