Whats too heavy for a stock 2011 154 Etec tunnel

Paruvka

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new to sleds and don't know what weight a tunnel on the new XPs can take. I'm getting the CFR rack and two ski mounts and wondering if that might be too heavy and eventually cause a bent tunnel if I carry two pairs of skis with poles and possibly a jerry can? CFR is selling a tunnel stiffener solution but do I really need it?

Thanks.

unimog

Reaction score
Mount it as close as you can to the seat, tunnel stiffeners probably would not be that bad of an idea if you want to move the rack further towards the end.

edit
( @ 60 bucks I'm going to grab some regardless)

Last edited:

sledrat403

Reaction score
Stiffeners are cheap insurance - the XP tunnels are not beefy and you risk damaging the cooler if you tweak it. But if you are not super heavy (or your friend isn't super heavy) and you go slow over the whoops you might be ok (lots of guys including myself run that setup). Just be sure to mount it right behind the seat as mentioned. If you weigh over 200lbs get the blades for sure.

Other tip - don't crank the straps down on your skis too hard otherwise you can damage your skis' sidewall. I used a dremel and smoothed out the corner and glued some rubber from a bicycle inner tube in there to protect it.

Paruvka

Reaction score
Sounds good guys, thanks. I'm 195lbs and my buddies are max that or lighter but I think I'll go the tunnel stiffener route regardless. With two dudes one on each board and two pairs of skis and a jerry, might be a bit much weight for the tunnel. I don't fully understand the straps on the skis comment since I'm new to this, but will check it out and keep it in mind. Cheers.

robhayward

Reaction score
I've carried out a dead Dragon on the back of my 146 (track on bumper/tail light) ~70 miles while doubling. 146 is less likely to bend but it had to be a good 300lbs. Your skis shouldn't be a problem. Not saying this is a good idea but it's a good way to tow when you have to...

ridehard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never lock your knees, and you should never bend your running boards. The stretched seat from the newer Tundra gives the extra room for the buddy, and doesn't look too bad. As far as the tunnel behind the seat goes, use common sense on how you load it, and make sure your grab bar is tightly attached; it is an important structural element.

Top Bottom