whats the clostest place in the mountains

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
robb, edson area would be closest, valemont, mcbride, all depends what you are looking for.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
whats the clostest place to sled in the mountains thats near edmonton

Well let's doo a little math: Edmonton-Calgary 2.5 hours, Calgary-Fernie area 3 hours, Calgary-Crowsnest Pass-2.5 hours.....

From Edmonton you can be in the mountains in 5-6 hours and great roads to get here. Fernie has awesome, cheap accommodations and eating places, lots of great powder, and not a lot of crowds.

funrider

Reaction score
Hey Ferniesnow how does the riding terrain compare to the other area's? If it is busy there is there still areas that you can still ride pow? any mapping?
Thanks Bill

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From Spruce Grove

Valemount 5 hours
McBride 5.5 hours
Blue River 6 hours
Crowsnest 6 hours
Golden 6.5 hours
Revy 8 hours
Sicamous 9 hours

All times on dry roads with average traffic and minimal stops.

Work2Ride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well let's doo a little math: Edmonton-Calgary 2.5 hours, Calgary-Fernie area 3 hours, Calgary-Crowsnest Pass-2.5 hours.....

From Edmonton you can be in the mountains in 5-6 hours and great roads to get here. Fernie has awesome, cheap accommodations and eating places, lots of great powder, and not a lot of crowds.

From Red Deer to Fernie, roughly 4-4.5hours?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Hey Ferniesnow how does the riding terrain compare to the other area's? If it is busy there is there still areas that you can still ride pow? any mapping?
Thanks Bill

That's one of the nice things about the SE Kootenays, there are lots of areas that not a lot of tourists ride. The pipeline, the Notch, Corbin, and in through the Wrangler's cabin are busy and sometimes Harvey but the rest......sweet

I haven't ridden McBride/Valemount so I don't know about them. There is not very much open alpine down here, our trees pretty much go to +7000' but some groomed trails, climbing, and boondocking. Maps are available in Fernie at various vendors. FERNIESNOWMOBILE.COM

storch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From Spruce Grove

Valemount 5 hours
McBride 5.5 hours
Blue River 6 hours
Crowsnest 6 hours
Golden 6.5 hours
Revy 8 hours
Sicamous 9 hours

All times on dry roads with average traffic and minimal stops.
I like staying in Valemount you have lots of options, can travel to blue or mcbride offers you a choice of about 10 riding areas within an hour of valemount

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Valemount is closer to drive but the riding areas are farther from town then Mcbride. So Mcbride ends up being less driving after a few days of riding. Cant go wrong with eather place both are worth the drive!

Top Bottom