What's most important when aligning clutch?

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what the most critical aspect of aligning the clutches is. Is it the space between the clutches (16.5 mm) or is it the the difference between the "y" and "x" compents. (a difference of 1.5 mm between the x and y values makes the clutch sit at a bit of an angle so when it torques up, the clutches should be perfectly straight)

My sled seems to be blowing belts since i put the new motor in last year. This is my second time trying to align the clutches using a 3/8 bar. I can get the distance between the clutches to exactly 16.5 mm, but then the primary clutch sits perfectly straight relative to the secondary. If I adjust it so that the primary has the proper offset, then the distance between the clutches is off by like 4 mm.

Any advice would be appreciated.

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Aligning clutches can be such a pain in the ass, I have to do mine every couple hundred KM usually. Anyways one of our local sled shops biult a clutch alignment tool for the ZX and S chassis. It works very well on the S chassis and good for the ZX, I have found the ZX is more of a pain in the ass to align. Not sure of your location but it might be worth ordering one up. Part # is 28-506 and the place to buy them is or 306-664-3560.
Doesnt really answer your question I know but it is something that i have used for awhile now...

Cheers
DSC_0424.jpg

zeke

Reaction score
There is a tool called the sled pro ultimate alignment tool. It works awesome. I made something similar that I slide over the jackshaft and the other end has a slot to go over the drive clutch, this gives you the perfect distance c to c. Adjust the bumper to the engine that will hold the distance. Then I put the sec back on and go with the 3/8 bar for the offset. I also made an adjustable strap that bolts on the engine oposite of the bumper. I used the same belt all last year ( 21 days in mtns) Hardly any belt dust and the clutches are cool.

Top Bottom