What should I buy?

numbnuts918

Reaction score
Looking at sport ATV's. Really want a Banshee or similar machine. Ive considered Warriors also (reverse). What are the good & bads about these 2 Yamaha models, are there "better" years to look for than others? Im in SW MN & Craigslist has a few options in my price range. Looking to buy soon. Any help is great. Thanks.

Ushkie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it's between a banshee and a warrior then banshee all the way. I have a banshee and ride with a warrior. It's night and day. I'll take the rush of the banshee over reverse any day

ghglenn

Reaction score
Your kinda comparing apples to oranges...

I owned both quads at one time in my life.

The Banshee is a two-stroke, that likes to be ran hard, not great for tight, technical trails, more balls out, tires spinning all the time riding. Loved it in the dunes of Glamis. Will require more maintenance in the motor (top-end), but relatively easy to do, and not too expensive to do. Super adrenaline rush.

The warrior, is not a speed demon, very basic four-stroke motor, but good for more technical, tight trails, and has the bonus of reverse. With regular maintenance, they can run forever, will get you there and back every time...

Both are dated in the suspension/geometry compared to newer models, but can be updated with some bolt-on parts. What kind of riding are you wanting to do? That is the key question.

mxzguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you want to rip in the sand buy the Banshee lots of top end power but lacking in bottom end power ie slower trail riding. The Warrior is more trail friendly but has an old school 2 valve air cooled motor and is under powered. You should look at a Suzuki LTZ 400 or a Raptor 700 both have more power reverse and better suspension than a Warrior. Also the Kawasaki 450 might be worth looking at might be harder to find as they have not been around as long as the others.

numbnuts918

Reaction score
I want a Banshee type just for the fun factor. Ripping around the farm & light trail riding trips that usually have small motorcross tracks to blast around on. Im hopefully moving to SW CO within the next year & will be close to Moab,UT for a day trip or so. Im an old fart so I wont be going too overboard technically, just getting loose in the corners & fast in a straight line these days. I have a utility atv for trail riding, & work around the property now that the wife will use when out riding together.

ghglenn

Reaction score
If you have the budget, the Raptor 700 is the cadillac of all the sport quads. Nice and fast, smooth suspension, and reverse. I grew up in the desert. The Raptor would be more suited to what you want to ride, plus if you get the fuel injected model, you wont have to worry about jetting the carb for the altitude changes. Can get into one down there for about $3500.

numbnuts918

Reaction score
Im looking at 2 Warrior's. A 2000 & 2001. The 01 runs & looks great for $1100. The 00 needs some carb work & a battery for $1200. Saw a Banshee too for $1900, may go look at it as well.

CountryRider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Man its all up to you. My dad used to race his warrior and one 1st place in our area for 5 years straight... He took that thing everywhere places where his 4x4 got stuck just every where... When i was using my buddies banshee and my dad and was doing a enduro race the warrior and the banshee was close but the warrior one... My opinion i love the banshee but I would have to go with the warrior... Banchees are really high maintenance...

flying frenchman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All I do with my Banshee is clean the air cleaner, lube the chain, change oil once or twice a year and drive the bag off of it. The same you do with any other quad. So I don't think it's high maintainance. For suspension being outdated , I think the seat makes up for it, the seat is wayyyy softer than my YFZ450 which is hard on the azz after a day of hard riding.
On my day trips to Brule Lake I usually burn 2-3 tanks of fuel and we ride hard and at the end of the day if it wasn't getting dark I'd probably burn another tank of fuel. I think the banshee is a very easy quad to ride, it doesn't tire me out very fast plus it's super fun.:d:d

numbnuts918

Reaction score
I put the Warriors on the backburner for now, Im looking at a couple Banshees around the $2000 range. A 2000 & a 2001. I watched a few Banshee vids on you tube & it makes me want one even more. I have to admit though, I saw & heard a few 400 EX's with custom exhaust that sound incredible. Any issues or comments on the 400 EX?

flying frenchman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My wife has a 400EX. I think it's a great starter quad. Wheelies good handles well but way underpowered for what I do. Tried to get the wife to ride my Banshee but she said she can handle hers better. Great quad and lots of them out there. I'd look for a stock one with no 440 kit. If you want to put add-ons, save your money and buy something else.

Top Bottom