What causes my seconday to engage at idle?

Motomonks

Reaction score
So i blet a belt on the trail out last weekend, i replaced it, and now its soo tight it egages at idle and moves forwar snowly without touching the throttle, the numbers match and its the same belt as the one that blew

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Belt deflection is set to high as the new belt is wider than the blown one that was replaced. Use adjuster and adjust the belt lower in the secondary.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
might also have blown belt into primary causing it to jam too.....

Motomonks

Reaction score
Now im starting to think my secondary clutch setup is not stock, in videos on youtube and pictures in my manual it does not match, nor do the tools work in my kit, it talks about loosening the locking nut 4 counterclockwise turns, there is absolutely no nut inside the secondary shaft... Then says open the driven pully with the tool in the kit, that does not fit either

Motomonks

Reaction score
41fdca56.jpg
0846b83f.jpg
167ef073.jpg
e5a145ac.jpg
The last picture is a close up of right inside the secondary clitch shaft that goes to the chaincase, there is no "locking nut" that i can loosen

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's 09 clutch for sure it's the same as mine. To loosen your belt, loosen the nuts off the back side of those two allen screws then tighten them until the belts is sitting good. Then tighten the locking nuts back up while holding the Allen screws so they don't turn. I like to have the track off the ground so I can turn the clutch bye had to make sure it's all good.

Motomonks

Reaction score
Thanks a tonne! I wonder why the heck my operators manual isnt for my machine, sais 09 :s oh well thanks tho!!!

bcjeepr

Reaction score
My manual came with loose pages showing the newer style sec adj, as well. your"s must have gone missing.

revbyu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the 09 adjuster is alot better than the 08 - an upgrade - belt definitely to tight ! loosen off the 10mm nuts and loosen off the set screws off to let the belt drop lower into the secondary clutch - probably should not see the center cord - when adjusted

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the 09 adjuster is alot better than the 08 - an upgrade - belt definitely to tight ! loosen off the 10mm nuts and loosen off the set screws off to let the belt drop lower into the secondary clutch - probably should not see the center cord - when adjusted

No you tighten the set screws to loosen the belt, and loosen the screws to tighten the belt. It works the same way as the belt removal tool works. But you will figure it out either way!

Top Bottom