Weekend Wilderness Chaos

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is it really too much to ask for people to use their heads. Sounds like the province was out of control this past long weekend.....We heard all the horror stories from last year and enforcement is stating problems were up this year!

What the heck is going on out there!!??

Alberta wilderness users get hundreds of tickets

By Stephane Massinon, Calgary HeraldMay 20, 2009 7:34 AMBe the first to post a comment

CALGARY - An enforcement blitz targeting abuses of wilderness areas resulted in more tickets on the long weekend, but police say they'll take future holiday weekends as they come to see if similar enforcement measures will be brought in.

The Mounties, paired with various provincial government departments, focused on off-road drivers breaking the law in mountain recreational areas.

On Tuesday, RCMP announced they issued 1,015 traffic tickets, plus 279 gaming and liquor violations, 18 impaired driving charges, 59 suspensions and 291 other provincial act charges. The Mounties also issued 605 warnings.

Officials said it's a significant increase from last year. The area most ticketed was McLean Creek.

RCMP spokesman Sgt. Patrick Webb said the weekend blitz was a provincewide effort.

"On any other given weekend, it's more at a detachment level," said Webb, adding the May long-weekend is typically the busiest they'll deal with.

Future long weekends could produce similar enforcement levels from RCMP detachments.

Sustainable Resources and Development said it is tallying the costs of the additional enforcement over the Victoria Day weekend, while officials with other departments -- transportation, parks and recreation and the solicitor general's office -- said their staffing costs were minimal.

Webb said the policing cost was too difficult to tally, but noted at least 10 detachments were affected by bringing in additional officers.

On the roads, Alberta Sheriffs said they issued more than 4,000 tickets between Friday and Monday, including 3,020 for speeding.

They also recorded 134 hazardous driving violations.

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well i think its good in a big way. It always sucks to get a ticket, but in the long run, drinking is for the campfire not on the quad. Use your head follow the rules and maybe just maybe us off roaders will not have such a bad rep hung around out necks.

just my two cents.
course i could be jealous as i never turned a f ing wheel
&%(&^%(&^(*&)(* on my quad at all.....:realmad::realmad:but i did get to have quality family time:d:d:d and had a couple sessions with DR Gibbsons. and Dr Morgan,,, ps they get along fine at nite but in the morning its a ch!tshow....

T.

ps safety first

Last edited by a moderator:

Zipp

Reaction score
Will have to avoid long weekends in the future. Shift work has advantages.

Top Bottom