Visiting Fernie

mark123

Reaction score
Hey guys I am coming out to Fernie and me and my brother are renting sleds (from ghostrider) for the day on Sat march 22. I have a lot of experience riding here in Atlantic Canada/Quebec (~2000 miles every year) which is mostly trail riding but have never been to the mountains. What are some good places to ride in Fernie, will the avalanche risk be low then? If any any of you are heading out that day and don't mind us tagging along that would be great, otherwise are there any places to avoid etc...What is needed for gear, I heard that a small shovel should be taken along.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you will need a beacon, shovel, probe and maybe a guide to take you out. Fernie is a great place to ride but the avi danger right now is very high with all warm weather .

giddyup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With no mountian knowledge I would not venture out with out assistance. Defiantly get some help. The best advice I could say would be to contact someone like weirboondocking for there clinics. They will be able to put you in the best conditions and give you the instruction and help to learn to control and maneuver the mountian sled in the back country. He is based in FERNIE and cooks up a great lunch. Sounds like you guys have a lot of expiriance on sleds but the mountains are a whole new expiriance . You have contact him on here. His name is Andy. He will show you the time of your life . The FERNIE back country is some the the Mose beautiful anywhere. . Just be prepared. One trip out and you could be hooked. That's what happened to me. Enjoy but be safe

amishdonkeys

Reaction score
With no mountian knowledge I would not venture out with out assistance. Defiantly get some help. The best advice I could say would be to contact someone like weirboondocking for there clinics. They will be able to put you in the best conditions and give you the instruction and help to learn to control and maneuver the mountian sled in the back country. He is based in FERNIE and cooks up a great lunch. Sounds like you guys have a lot of expiriance on sleds but the mountains are a whole new expiriance . You have contact him on here. His name is Andy. He will show you the time of your life . The FERNIE back country is some the the Mose beautiful anywhere. . Just be prepared. One trip out and you could be hooked. That's what happened to me. Enjoy but be safe

X2
Get a hold of Andy on here. He took us out last year, showed us alot of do's and don't & is a great guy.

Mark P

Reaction score
Make that X3.
Andy will be able to show you a great ride and also give you a good foundation for mountain riding skills so you can keep going for the next time you ride the hills.

tater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does weir boondocking do guiding or just riding clinics??

Top Bottom