Using a 6.0L Vortec to pull a 28 ft enclosed trailer

jjack

Banned
Reaction score
hahah, a benefit I never even thought of!.......So once again changing thoughts up a bit, but how are the 454 TBI's? I know the TBI's suck for horsepower, but the torque always seems to be decent. Like my fully built 350 TBI is only about 240 rwhp, but has about 345 ft-lbs rwtq......so thoughts on the 454 TBI? Is it an okay engine or an avoid completely?

Personally never had one blow up but seen a lot of them that had,but most were no oil in motor problems,TBI easy to fix lots of used parts even new are cheap.Every 454 seems to be different when it comes to actual power some are great some are just sluggish,exzact same motor just don't have same power.

Ive had 6 liters since 03 Full synthetic 0/30 year round some as high as 350,000 km and never any internal engine problem,and no leaks,The 6 liter seems to be a good motor just a pig on fuel,but a 454 with a load behind it isn't going to do much better.

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've owned a couple or three 6L GMC 2500's over the years. The 6L is a solid engine..gas guzzler but solid.

I recently sold my 2004 2500 crew cab with 380,000 km..($4000)..engine still ran great, no oil consumption...the engine has never been touched except for a couple starters.

In those 380Km, I had the transmission rebuilt and the transfer case replaced (roughly $3K each). The rest was consumables...tires, brake pads, oil changes, etc.

If you don't mind the poor mileage, go for it...they are very reliable from my experience.

jjack

Banned
Reaction score
Love my 6L so far. Does like to down shift on hill a lot when loaded but still happy with it over all

don't worry about it down shifting, infact pull it down manually before you get into the hill the 6 liter loves rev and you can get a couple of mpg better fuel milage.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
don't worry about it down shifting, infact pull it down manually before you get into the hill the 6 liter loves rev and you can get a couple of mpg better fuel milage.

Yup when I'm loaded I hit manual mode elctric shift down to 5 just before the base of the hill and it always tractors up in 5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think everyone covered it. I used to pull a 24.5' v-nose enclosed with a 6.0L. Don't expect stellar mileage or win any races up the hill, but it's going to get you there for not a whole bunch of money.

summit1000

Reaction score
So, went over and looked at it over my lunch break. It was surprisingly decent. The most important factors were solid. The suspension felt good, the steering was good, the tires were good, the engine was strong and pulled right to the top of the rev range without an issue, it shifted cleanly and smoothly, and didn't make any weird noises. The A/C doesn't work (not that we care, we are using it to haul sleds in the winter), it has a vibration only from 80km/h-90km/h (mud in the wheel maybe????) Tires were evenly worn and still had probably 60% tread life. The 4x4 works, it has a clean CarProof, and really does only have 106,000 km's. It was apparently a work truck, so it spent a lot of time idling. If my friend bought it, he'd need to clean it, get a trailer brake controller, and replace the brakes (they're down to like 10%). Other than that it would pretty much be good to go. Definitely would get a mechanical inspection done before seriously considering it though. I think if it passes the mechanical, he'd go ahead with it.

jjack

Banned
Reaction score
So, went over and looked at it over my lunch break. It was surprisingly decent. The most important factors were solid. The suspension felt good, the steering was good, the tires were good, the engine was strong and pulled right to the top of the rev range without an issue, it shifted cleanly and smoothly, and didn't make any weird noises. The A/C doesn't work (not that we care, we are using it to haul sleds in the winter), it has a vibration only from 80km/h-90km/h (mud in the wheel maybe????) Tires were evenly worn and still had probably 60% tread life. The 4x4 works, it has a clean CarProof, and really does only have 106,000 km's. It was apparently a work truck, so it spent a lot of time idling. If my friend bought it, he'd need to clean it, get a trailer brake controller, and replace the brakes (they're down to like 10%). Other than that it would pretty much be good to go. Definitely would get a mechanical inspection done before seriously considering it though. I think if it passes the mechanical, he'd go ahead with it.

sounds like you cant go wrong,welcome to the 6 liter guzzler club

summit1000

Reaction score
sounds like you cant go wrong,welcome to the 6 liter guzzler club

Yeah, just need to organize getting it inspected, and then it'll be a go ahead. It is cheap enough that the used car lot is actually willing to take credit card for the payment. I actually feel somewhat confident in this guy. He didn't try to pull any "pay cash, I'll cut you a good deal" type things and when we got there he pointed out any areas that he had noticed were rough. If anything he was brutally honest. It all just seems to good, decent truck, low km's, and a sales guy that doesn't seem to be trying to screw you over.

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tune the LQ4 in it... custom tune I mean. Tossing electric fans on it from an 05 up 1/2 ton is nice too. Those 2 things alone make it a whole different truck. I have never gotten the terrible mileage most people post unless I drive 130 km/hr all the time and this is probably 10 plus 6 liter trucks now. If you want 20 mpg buy a car... period lol. I custom tune all my own stuff and my 6 liter will run circles around most old 454's even pulling.. tuned or stock.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tune the LQ4 in it... custom tune I mean. Tossing electric fans on it from an 05 up 1/2 ton is nice too. Those 2 things alone make it a whole different truck. I have never gotten the terrible mileage most people post unless I drive 130 km/hr all the time and this is probably 10 plus 6 liter trucks now. If you want 20 mpg buy a car... period lol. I custom tune all my own stuff and my 6 liter will run circles around most old 454's even pulling.. tuned or stock.

more details. i would like to make my 2013 a different truck LOL

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't bother with the L92 headed 6 liters in trucks. Your cylinder heads are your biggest issue and all the tuning in the world can't change that. A good tune will help but your VTEC Honda style 4500 plus rpm power band is just the way it is.

Last edited:

Driftingbig

Reaction score
I agree with Badass69. Tune it up a bit. I never used a programmer but on my old 2001 6L I put a 3" cat back exhaust, K&N filter charger kit and a throttle body spacer on it. It seemed to handle a deck and a 2 place fairly well or the 4 place. Many trips made to Valemont and Revy. They do tend to rev a little high when going up the hills and like the gas when pulling but you have to pay to play i guess.

Top Bottom