Truck &/or trailer theft prevention solutions & ideas?

jevs28

Reaction score
Looking for ideas, also providing my own ideas on how to prevent truck trailer thefts from hotel parking lots. there seem to have been a ton of them lately! our parts manager had the idea to get a high range baby monitor and hide it somewhere inside the trailer towards the front. if someone came up and cut your hitch lock to move it it would definitely wake me up! also those wheel chocks would work well too? saw a guy with two of them, one to truck wheel one to trailer. obviously would want to pick up some locking wheel nuts to go with them, but those are cheap. i think the chocks are around 100 bucks a peice? beats replacing a full trailer of gear, sleds, etc etc! other crafty ideas appreciated! not just for enclosed! :cool: cheers :beer: Laura

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Boot lock.

Bootlock3.jpg

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Custom decal everything to match, truck trailer sleds. Make it stand out, that way they don't get far as its easy to spot.

Choose odd ball colors etc. A white truck and trailer disappears easy.

SidewaysInto3rd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if they want your ch!t, they are going to get your ch!t !

plasma cutter will go through that boot lock pretty quick

get a gps tracker, fairly cheap to buy and subscribe. easy way to get your belongings back AND put some assholes in cuffs at the same time.

Custom decal everything to match, truck trailer sleds. Make it stand out,

I slap Arctic Cat decals all over my truck and put a cat cover on my skidoo .. best theft prevention so far ;)

Last edited:

PJ440x

Reaction score
Looking for ideas, also providing my own ideas on how to prevent truck trailer thefts from hotel parking lots. there seem to have been a ton of them lately! our parts manager had the idea to get a high range baby monitor and hide it somewhere inside the trailer towards the front. if someone came up and cut your hitch lock to move it it would definitely wake me up! also those wheel chocks would work well too? saw a guy with two of them, one to truck wheel one to trailer. obviously would want to pick up some locking wheel nuts to go with them, but those are cheap. i think the chocks are around 100 bucks a peice? beats replacing a full trailer of gear, sleds, etc etc! other crafty ideas appreciated! not just for enclosed! :cool: cheers :beer: Laura

A buddy usually pulls the main relay out of the fusebox. Chances are the dirtbags wont have the proper relay to start the truck or know whats going on...This doesn't help the trailer any if you have one...lol, every little bit helps I guess!!

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just park next to a more tempting target! I don't have to run faster than the bear, just faster than you!

When we go out we usually park our trailers back to back if theres room, or back to a building, We have everything locked as good as anyone else. Theft is a crime of opportunity, reduce the opprtunity and make them walk on.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Baby monitor might be a good idea, I know guys who maybe have done that before.....whatever you decide, don't advertise it on the internet so the thieves know what we are up to..... wink wink LOL

Motion alarms, lock the wheels, chain it to a stationary object, pick a well lit spot, make your stuff stand out, make sure you insure it, park your trucks really close together if out with friends and put the boot on the inside tires or chain the axles together, make it really hard to get at it too. I chain my sled up in my garage with a big ass cable even at home. Master switch on the battery in your truck so it can't be started, or you can pull the starter fuse. GPS is your friend if you can afford it, lots of cheaper alternatives. The thieves go after the low hanging fruit, don't leave money, phone etc on the seats. Anything that looks enticing they will grab.

For frigs sakes take the keys/DESS cords off your sled at the end of the day, don't leave them hanging on the bars or in the ignition! Only way to get a new DESS key programmed is at the dealer - In order to get a DESS key programmed at the dealership, you need proof of ownership and the VIN. If your Doo is stolen, call and register the VIN with BRP asap, then if the crooks try to get a new key programmed, it will be flagged in the system. One great thing about the Doo's for sure. Polaris has a similar system I believe. If the key is not there to steal in the first place though, then they are stealing a non-running sled, not very desirable.

Any theft prevention device you put on should be able to get you a discount on your insurance so make sure you let your insurance company know you're doing something added to protect your stuff.

REGISTER AND INSURE YOUR STUFF!!! Unless the paperwork trail is solid from original ownership, there is risk buying something that wasn't insured. So easy and cheap to pull a VIN report and make sure its all legit, protects the seller and buyer. If everyone registered their stuff, there would be far less issues with theft on sleds IMO.

pistonbroke800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A buddy usually pulls the main relay out of the fusebox. Chances are the dirtbags wont have the proper relay to start the truck or know whats going on...This doesn't help the trailer any if you have one...lol, every little bit helps I guess!!

Yep my buddy and i had this discussion the other day and came up with the same idea. Back your trailer up to something, fence, hotel, other truck ect. Pull the fuse and rest easy knowing they arent gonna be smart enough to get it started to take it.

muddmadness

Reaction score
Yep my buddy and i had this discussion the other day and came up with the same idea. Back your trailer up to something, fence, hotel, other truck ect. Pull the fuse and rest easy knowing they arent gonna be smart enough to get it started to take it.

I second that. parking location is key. pull fuse or find another way to disable truck( i have secret that i dont share) and stick a few of these on windows. I take everything out of the truck as well.
sandw sticker.jpg

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It seems, at least this season, that a lot of the thefts are of open trailers. Easy to get sleds off of or easy to hand bomb one onto another vehicle. Seems like decks and encloseds are more secure/difficult.

trench

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of good ideas on this thread, I like to back the enclosed up to something (snow bank, tree etc.) and put the club on my steering wheel.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
these thieves are smart, and have the right tools like cordless grinders with a zip cut wheel. they want it, they'll get it. it's up to us to make it as difficult as possible. that said, I've got tongue locks, hitch locks, and a 5/8" system 7 chain thru the wheels of the enclosed. it will take them at least 10 minutes to grind thru all of it....hopefully someone hears them.

we always try to park side by side and backed against something so that they can't unhook the trailer and swing it away if they do get the locks all cut off.

vodoo103

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check out the Garmin GTU tracker. Pretty easy to build a compartment in the ceiling / roof of your trailers.

Also can set up a GPS perimeter around your trailer so it sends you alarms as soon as it moves. They might get your trailer, but won't get too far if you're tracking it.

• Thanks
Reactions: cs5

GT500john

Reaction score
I'm originally from sicamous and when I left 5 years ago you never heard of this happening, it's a slap in the face for the town and if I owned the motel or business I would ban together with the other businesses and get a security company to come in and do patrols would not be hard. It's really disappointing to hear this is really going on. I bring lots of friends from up north down there and valemont area and think its just going to take 1 time for this to happen and they will not be back. I would be willing to pay a 5$ or more for someone to look after my sled and truck during the night if that s what it took, if everybody did this it would pay the wages of that person. Feel bad for people when this happens to them when all you want to do is come and ride without any BS. Rant over.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
You can buy big mother pad locks with motion alarms on them. Motorcycle shops have great stuff; heavy duty hardened chains, special locks, etc.

They are expensive but will discourage the average thief. I like the smart parking and with my truck and deck I can usually park pretty close and safely to the window

Top Bottom