Troubleshooting

creed50158

Reaction score
A buddy of mine has a 96 Skidoo Formula Z 583 Rotax, We are pretty much stumped on this, In a controlled climent it will idle great and rev up to just about any rpm, but once you take it outside to ride it boggs and dies withing a couple hundred yards and it will then start but will not hold an idle.

Things we have checked:
1) Drained old fuel and added new fuel.
2) Checked line from tank to fuel pump.
3) Checked vacum line from crank case to fuel pump.
4) Checked for fuel coming out of pump.
5) Checked fuel lines from pump to the carbs.
6) Cleaned the Carbs twice.
7) Installed new plugs.
8) Checked gap on plugs.
9) Checked spark strength and color.
10) Checked air box for restrictions.
11) Checked both fuel and air filters.
12) Checked exhaust restrictions.
13) Checked grommets in air box on intake side for carbs.

Any Idea what else I could check or what it might be? would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

powderpusher

Reaction score
try checking your intake boots on the carbs as they may be cracked and when warm are creating a seal but when cold the rubber gets hard allowing a vacuum leak

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
checkto intake boots where the reeds seal against. After time the rubber deteriorates and causes issues. Hard to trouble shoot with out being there.
Cheers

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it has been a while but 583 ski-doo RV? no reeds! you have done to normal checks. with out seeing it, very hard to tell ya whats wrong! sorry

boondockin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A buddy of mine has a 96 Skidoo Formula Z 583 Rotax, We are pretty much stumped on this, In a controlled climent it will idle great and rev up to just about any rpm, but once you take it outside to ride it boggs and dies withing a couple hundred yards and it will then start but will not hold an idle.

Things we have checked:
1) Drained old fuel and added new fuel.
2) Checked line from tank to fuel pump.
3) Checked vacum line from crank case to fuel pump.
4) Checked for fuel coming out of pump.
5) Checked fuel lines from pump to the carbs.
6) Cleaned the Carbs twice.
7) Installed new plugs.
8) Checked gap on plugs.
9) Checked spark strength and color.
10) Checked air box for restrictions.
11) Checked both fuel and air filters.
12) Checked exhaust restrictions.
13) Checked grommets in air box on intake side for carbs.

Any Idea what else I could check or what it might be? would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

i would pull the DPM off (if it has one:confused: ) and check to make sure that it isnt plugged up and i'd pull all the dpm hoses to make sure that they arent plugged either

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
is it on stands when you rev it in the shop? if it is then when you put it on its own weight and it bogs it could be a cluth issue, had this problem a couple years ago, had to rebuild the clutches

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i would pull the DPM off (if it has one:confused: ) and check to make sure that it isnt plugged up and i'd pull all the dpm hoses to make sure that they arent plugged either
Pretty sure there is no altitude compensation on the formula Z. They had HAC on the 96 summits but I don't think they put that on the short tracks although I have been wrong before.

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure there is no altitude compensation on the formula Z. They had HAC on the 96 summits but I don't think they put that on the short tracks although I have been wrong before.

Yuo are right Mitch no HAC on that model i would look at the same thing polyrider says clutching and doo a compression check just to be safe might want to doo a pressure check for any seal leaks in the motor also make sure right jet size in the carbs. If it has a primer on it take it out and when it bogs prime it and see if it helps or is worse. Also check rortary valve timing.

Top Bottom