Travel Adivse in BC Needed

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a project in Kitimat that i need to attend in Janruary. What is your opinion on getting there at that time of year?
Options are driving from Edmonton, flying into PR and driving 2hrs, or flying into PG and driving 7hrs.
Never been into that part of BC at that time of year. Wondering what kind of road conditions and weather I can expect.

FastFarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a project in Kitimat that i need to attend in Janruary. What is your opinion on getting there at that time of year?
Options are driving from Edmonton, flying into PR and driving 2hrs, or flying into PG and driving 7hrs.
Never been into that part of BC at that time of year. Wondering what kind of road conditions and weather I can expect.

Hop a flight to Terrace, short drive to Kitimat. DON'T drive from PG...you jut get up to speed then have t slow down in every small town and village

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Flying into PR can be hit or miss due to weather. PG you can pretty much always fly into, it's a well maintained international airport. That said if PG is down it will be due to heavy snow in Dec-Feb. Driving from PG to Terrace in Jan will also be in generally poor highway conditions with mediocre maintenance. But it would be better than driving all the way from Edmonton. Try and fly into PR, if you can't pull that off then fly into PG.

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess there is an airport in Kitimat :doh:
It didn't come up when I checked Westjet's flights.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
probably have to take a puddle jumper in with Central Mountain Air or equivalent airline.

skid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Give yourself an extra day to fly into terrace in case it’s socked in, we do this every time we fly out of Smithers and coming back as well.

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Airstrip in Kitimat, not an airport. Only little planes and helicopter

Terrace airport is about a 40 minute drive to kitimat. Lots of flights from Vancouver. Once daily direct from Calgary but at kind of a useless time, in the middle of the day

You might want to book hotel in kitimat early or you’ll get stuck at the 300/night place

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Airstrip in Kitimat, not an airport. Only little planes and helicopter

Terrace airport is about a 40 minute drive to kitimat. Lots of flights from Vancouver. Once daily direct from Calgary but at kind of a useless time, in the middle of the day

You might want to book hotel in kitimat early or you’ll get stuck at the 300/night place

Thanks for all the tips. Good news is, once i'm on the ground, transfers and accommodations are all looked after. Just have to get there in one piece. I'm leaning towards the flight into Terrace then a (hopefully) scenic drive the rest of the way.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips. Good news is, once i'm on the ground, transfers and accommodations are all looked after. Just have to get there in one piece. I'm leaning towards the flight into Terrace then a (hopefully) scenic drive the rest of the way.

Its 45min. On a clear day very nice, on a typical day you won't see crap. Lol

Guessing you are working on the LNG projects?

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its 45min. On a clear day very nice, on a typical day you won't see crap. Lol

Guessing you are working on the LNG projects?
:thumb:
Picked up a nice little warm up project there to keep the guys in the shop busy for a while.
Then another much larger one in Q3 or Q4 (who knows??). Its good to get a small trial hit to work out all the kinks before the big one's ready to go. Especially for these way, way, way out of town jobs!

Last edited:

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:thumb:
Picked up a nice little warm up project there to keep the guys in the shop busy for a while.
Then another much larger one in Q3 or Q4 (who knows??). Its good to get a small trial hit to work out all the kinks before the big one's ready to go. Especially for these way, way, way out of town jobs!

Kitimat can be nice but not usually this time of year. Ask around for someone with a boat to go to the hotsprings

Top Bottom